Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTA Chapter 5: Vorpal Sword in Hand

Hybrid View

Default OOTA Chapter 5: Vorpal Sword in Hand

With heavy hearts and a heavier wagon, both filled with fungus, you depart Neverlight Grove. The myconids with Sovereign Basidia and Stool set out with you, but soon turn to find their own way knowing that you are heading to known dangers: the drow, and then the grey dwarf city of Gracklestugh.

The deep gnome Jimjar acts as scout ahead, looking for signs of the drow. It doesn't take long before he finds the signs he was looking for, and a bit longer before he very nearly stumbles into their camp. Only his natural stealth and ability to blend in with the rocks around him saves him from drawing the whole camp down on him. In his short time there, he sees that the priestess Ilvara has acquired reinforcements somehow, including more quaggoths and a few driders. Where these reinforcements came from and why the priestess is so intent on recapturing you all are unclear. Taking on the whole group is going to be very difficult if you attempt a frontal assault.

You can choose to try to avoid them and put distance between you, implement guerilla tactics, or simply take them head on.

Come join us on Discord!

Jimjar doubles back to the group. "It's not good, guys. I thought it would be another small squad, but Ilvara must have called in some serious favors. I'm not sure what spider laid an egg in her ear, but she is apparently upset enough with us to call in some favors. I spotted several quaggoths and even some driders along with the usual retinue. I want to end this as much as the rest of you, but we can't win in a straight fight."

"Perhapshh a shhtraight fight ishh not nechhesshhary, then," Shuushar murmurs after a moment's pause.

"Where they are camped...can they be shheen from far off? Perhapshh more than a hundred feet? Ishh there cover? Bouldershh and shhuch? I ashhk becaushhe I have a shhpell that might wound or alarm them...and draw them shhtraight into our fire. My boltshh, othershh arrowshh...we might be able to wound them greatly before they ever shhet foot in melee range with ushh. Jushht a thought," he adds at the end, shrugging as if to say he didn't particularly care one way or the other, but only that it was possible.

There was not a way Jimjar saw to be able to see them from far away, but there was some cover to be used in the area.

Come join us on Discord!

Malbocco rubs his chin and considers the matter.

"I wonder if we could at least wound them. Thin them out. I'm not much for this sneaking about business, but it hitting patrols and weakening your enemy is a time honored tradition.

"Maybe we could split their forces somehow? Draw a few away. End them. Then go after the remainder."

Jimjar rubs his chin. "What could we use as bait?"

You didnít think it possible that a mouth like his could smile so happily, but it doesnít put you at ease one bit.

ďSo I kill this drow, and any who oppose me. Then in three years I get your soul? Deal.Ē

He extends his hand out to Nyx to seal the deal.

Come join us on Discord!

Theander continues to translate up to the point where Nyx starts to offer his soul, but then he stops, eyes wide that she would offer such a thing. He whispers softly in infernal... or as softly as one can in such a language, "Nyx... Th-that's a... you know you c-can't..." He hopes that he would've stopped them from sacrificing Eldeth, but does he have any authority to stop Nyx from giving her own soul... and furthermore, is he sure he wants to turn down a deal that doesn't hurt him at all?

"I know full damn well who he is, Theander," Nyx barks out in infernal, staring him down briefly before turning her head back to the devil. "Remember, if I die before then, you only get my inheritance. And if you or anyone associated with you tries to collect before those 3 years, you get nothing at all." With that, Nyx shakes the devil's hand. There's no going back now: her soul is forever damned.

There is a searing pain as she shakes his hand, even through her resistance to fire. When she withdraws her hand, she sees now it has been branded on the palm with a symbol of an eye with a scorpion tail.

ďSo be it. Wait a few hours for me to work, then proceed as you wish.Ē

At that, the devil disappears in a burst of flames, ignoring anything anyone else says or does.

Come join us on Discord!

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast