Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Party of Two

Default Party of Two

Kailyn Kandel and Purity have both been invited to a reserved table in an out-of-the-way restaurant in Arcaudace, one of the more cultured cities of the Winter Court. Of course, the food here is grand, and already paid for, within a reasonable limit. The atmosphere is private, relaxing, and quiet, with darker, redder tones and fire lights to suit the low-light vision of tiefling eyes. There are few others eating here, and they have a room devoted to them. The quietness of the crowds and the contrast between the warm inside and the sparkling snow outside also helps make everything just a little more perfect.

However, the slight complication of the situation having been engineered by the Steward of Luprex puts a damper on the night. He seemed serious about the mission in question, at least through the way his letter was phrased, so a sense of unease would not be unreasonable. Furthermore, their contact has not appeared, so they do not know what the orders are yet. At least the food promises to be good. There are few people here, most of high class and wealth.

The waiter, another tiefling, arrives in formal wear, and humbly brings you your menus. "Welcome to the Frozen Sunset. May I take your orders, or would you like to wait to decide? If I recall, you have a special reservation, so prices won't be an issue. Please enjoy our hospitality." He bows at the waist and waits for an answer unless you wave him off.

Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 07-17-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising

Purity enters, her white hair braided elegantly between her horns. She shrugs out of her fur cloak and hands it to the attendant as she takes her seat at the table, clad in her black robes and fine blue stole. She seems barely more than a child but she carries herself with poise and dignity befitting her rank.

Glancing only briefly at the menu she flicks her tail.
    "Venison stew, braised beef, black tea. That will be all, thank you."

Her mood is curt as she watches the room for hidden figures or traps.

Blog Entries

Kailyn Kandel, self proclaimed "count", flashes a pearly white smile at the attendant as he enters, using a quick flick of his wrist and twirl of his finger to focus his will on the holy symbol on his ring, giving his eyes just this side of a bishie sparkle as he does so. In his other hand, he twirls the ebony walking stick around his fingers, and then bows to the attendant, simultaneously passing him his hat.

"My gift to you, my good man, it's made of genuine unicorn felt. But alas, I've worn it once, and can't be seen in public with it again, so you may have it, my dear."

(Of course, he doesn't say that it's not really unicorn felt. He actually just stole it from some homeless guy he a few months ago because he liked the look of it. And, truth be told, it was starting to smell, so it was about time he got rid of it.)

Then he leans in close, and whispers:

"And if you're so interested, my address is on a card inside there." and then gives him a rather less-than-chaste wink as he proceeds to his table.

He sees Purity and opens his arms as if expecting a hug and flashes her his flashiest of flashing smiles.

"Ah, good day, my dear! I expect you're the other one that I was supposed to meet. How absolutely lovely to make your acquaintance! And I must say, how utterly wonderful it is to meet another tiefling, and one as beautiful as yourself, at that." Another less-than-chaste wink.

He then sits at the table, spreading his cape out in a billowing flourish as he does so. He spins his cane around again, then deftly places it against the table at the end of the flourish. He goes over the menu. A moment later, he closes the menu with a snap, passes it to the waiter, and says:

"Surprise me, my lovely. Oh, and the drink won't be necessary, 'just ice' will be enough. I like to let it melt slowly... in my mouth..."

Last edited by BMR; 07-18-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcanegeek View Post
    Purity enters, her white hair braided elegantly between her horns. She shrugs out of her fur cloak and hands it to the attendant as she takes her seat at the table, clad in her black robes and fine blue stole. She seems barely more than a child but she carries herself with poise and dignity befitting her rank.

Glancing only briefly at the menu she flicks her tail.
    "Venison stew, braised beef, black tea. That will be all, thank you."

Her mood is curt as she watches the room for hidden figures or traps.
    "Of course, Miss." The number of people is low- but that might just be a ploy to make you lower your guard. People chat quietly and eat in peace. There are few servers, and all of them are in sight. Make an Investigation or Perception check.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    Kailyn Kandel, self proclaimed "count", flashes a pearly white smile at the attendant as he enters, using a quick flick of his wrist and twirl of his finger to focus his will on the holy symbol on his ring, giving his eyes just this side of a bishie sparkle as he does so. In his other hand, he twirls the ebony walking stick around his fingers, and then bows to the attendant, simultaneously passing him his hat.

"My gift to you, my good man, it's made of genuine unicorn felt. But alas, I've worn it once, and can't be seen in public with it again, so you may have it, my dear."

(Of course, he doesn't say that it's not really unicorn felt. He actually just stole it from some homeless guy he a few months ago because he liked the look of it. And, truth be told, it was starting to smell, so it was about time he got rid of it.)

Then he leans in close, and whispers:

"And if you're so interested, my address is on a card inside there." and then gives him a rather less-than-chaste wink as he proceeds to his table.

He sees Purity and opens his arms as if expecting a hug and flashes her his flashiest of flashing smiles.

"Ah, good day, my dear! I expect you're the other one that I was supposed to meet. How absolutely lovely to make your acquaintance! And I must say, how utterly wonderful it is to meet another tiefling, and one as beautiful as yourself, at that." Another less-than-chaste wink.

He then sits at the table, spreading his cape out in a billowing flourish as he does so. He spins his cane around again, then deftly places it against the table at the end of the flourish. He goes over the menu. A moment later, he closes the menu with a snap, passes it to the waiter, and says:

"Surprise me, my lovely. Oh, and the drink won't be necessary, 'just ice' will be enough. I like to let it melt slowly... in my mouth..."

"I'm already accounted for," the server says, "But I might just keep this anyways." he puts it in his back pocket. Then, he considers the second request. "'Surprise me'?" he takes the hat and considers it with mild amusement. "I can do that." The hat burns in his grip, but he throws it out a nearby window while it spins. It is consumed smokelessly, and the ashes sparkle into nothing as the magic flame burns out, leaving only snow to fall. "Call that pre-dinner entertainment."

He leaves the menus there as he leaves and brings back two servings of venison stew, braised beef, and black tea- no cubes. If asked, he merely says, "It melted," shrugging. "Is there anything else you need?"

Sadiyah
    :

Purity does not hug. She does not smile. She maintains a stoic look during Kailyn's entrance. "Charmed I'm sure." She replied flatly. This assignment, with this fellow? It must be a punishment. Or a distraction.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollInvestigation - (1d20+6) [10]

Purity started with her stew and sipped her tea. In between bites she speaks, "Do you know anything about the mission before us?"

Blog Entries

Kailyn claps his hands in glee, much like a little child watching a magician's performance.

"Oooh! Do it again! Again!"

Purity does not hug. She does not smile. She maintains a stoic look during Kailyn's entrance. "Charmed I'm sure." She replied flatly. This assignment, with this fellow? It must be a punishment. Or a distraction.

Purity started with her stew and sipped her tea. In between bites she speaks, "Do you know anything about the mission before us?"
    None of the other waiters or customers stand out. Even the one in front of you seems more confused by the 'Count' than that you're asking about a mission. There must be something you're missing, otherwise this is a grand waste of time.
    Kailyn claps his hands in glee, much like a little child watching a magician's performance.

"Oooh! Do it again! Again!"
    Slightly astounded by the childish reaction, the waiter quickly regains his composure. "I apologize- I don't have another hat I'm willing to lose on me." He promptly takes the menus unless anyone resists and leaves hastily, returning to the kitchen.

After about fifteen minutes have passed, another man runs out from the kitchen. He looks rushed and apologetic, and is wearing a hat which he removes before barely bowing. "Sorry about that, I needed to confirm something. I am your contact."

This is Alastor, the son of the Steward. He is about the same height as Kailyn or the waiter, and of an athletic build. Ever more cheerful than his father, he pulls a nearby chair to the table and sits down. "Let's get straight to the point. I have a lead on some treacherous nobles, and I need evidence. There's a small party being held in short time at their house, known as Klurz Manor, and you're expected to be there, as am I. Once we have the proof, your reward is second pick from their collection of rarities and valuables, second only to the law itself. And because I know your dossier-" he points at Kailyn, "and you know my reputation, I feel the need to stress that this is a PURELY professional relationship. No unnecessary killings, no making a major scene before or during our investigation, and should you step too far out of line, consider this your burn notice. You kill someone you're not supposed to, you're out. You kill someone you don't need to, it's coming out of your reward. You try to seduce my mother, you die slowly and painfully before having your head collected and put in a jar- that's not hyperbole. Do you have any questions?"
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 08-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Sadiyah
    :

"You need not worry." Purity replies, half into her braised beef. "I am skilled at making sure subjects survive. What is the treachery with which they are charged?"

Blog Entries

Kailyn is sitting there, fingers steepled, saying "Uhum... yes... got it..." nodding along with the instructions given. Then, he folds his other fingers in, except his index fingers, and twists his wrists to point the still steepled index fingers at the contact and says:

"Ok, I understand. But... what if... she seduces me? Do I insult her by turning away her advances? Or do I keep her happy by going with her? And also, is everyone off limits as well? You'd be surprised how much people reveal, both figuratively and literally, once under the silken sheets. I'm certain that would be a most excellent way to ensure some tasty evidence."

"You need not worry." Purity replies, half into her braised beef. "I am skilled at making sure subjects survive. What is the treachery with which they are charged?"
    "They're feeding military secrets to the Formorian leaders- duty rosters, troop movements, unit numbers, siege equipment locations. One of them has connections to traitors within the military, and acts as the middleman. I want to know who, and I want them alive so they can spill as much information on their informant as possible."
    Kailyn is sitting there, fingers steepled, saying "Uhum... yes... got it..." nodding along with the instructions given. Then, he folds his other fingers in, except his index fingers, and twists his wrists to point the still steepled index fingers at the contact and says:

"Ok, I understand. But... what if... she seduces me? Do I insult her by turning away her advances? Or do I keep her happy by going with her? And also, is everyone off limits as well? You'd be surprised how much people reveal, both figuratively and literally, once under the silken sheets. I'm certain that would be a most excellent way to ensure some tasty evidence."
    "Heh he he..." your contact begins chortling, and then breaks out into uproarious guffaws that verge on mocking laughter and distract some of the patrons for a second. "AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HA ha heh... That's never going to come up, trust me. If she seduces you, consider it an impersonator- real or not, she's going to pull a knife on you if you get too close."

After clearing his throat, Alastor continues with a slightly deeper tone. "It shouldn't be your default information source. One of the reasons why I chose you two is because you have completely opposite approaches to situations- I provide the in-between, but you also need to learn some flexibility. Both of you. You're not going to always just burn or sleep your way through everything. To get along in my line of work, you need to be able to adapt or die. And think outside the box."

He pulls out a magical pocketwatch, which he twirls around his left index finger. "You have until tomorrow at 5 PM to make any last-minute supply purchases. There's a local market, I would suggest taking advantage of it. You shouldn't have to get any new clothes fitted, just don't show up sloppy. I will be carrying a handy haversack, so don't bother purchasing another. If you try to buy a portable hole and fit one into the other, I won't save you from your stupidity."
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 07-23-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Sadiyah
    :

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast