Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The Best Ingredients

"I'll round up help and return as fast as I can," the clerk vows. His words are followed by an enormous crashing sound from upstairs.

"No time for chatting," Peplum says. "Get a move on!"

The clerk drinks the extract and, with a boost from Peplum, unscrews a vent above the table and squeezes into it. Within two minutes, in which time it's grown uncomfortably warm in the laboratory, the clerk has climbed up and out of the vent. His echoing voice informs you that he'll be right back. A few minutes later the roaring of flames goes silent. You hear panicked shouting from overlapping voices, then a couple minutes of grinding stone, and, finally, somebody pounding on the iron door to the laboratory.

"Pilar! Pilar!" a gravelly female voice shouts. "Are you alright?"

"We're both fine!" Doctor Peplum shouts back. "Get us out of here!"

"Oh, of course. Where do you keep a spare key?" the woman on the other side of the door asks.

"'Spare key?' You mean 'burglar fodder'?"

"You don't have one?"

"Of course I don't have one. I'm not an idiot."

"No, you're a genius. That's how you've managed to get yourself locked in your own laboratory by an oversized halfling and would have been burnt to a crisp if Solokov hadn't woken me up-"

"Well maybe if you didn't take naps at five in the evening you would have noticed my shop was on fire earlier and my clerk wouldn't have had to wake you-"

"Ladies, please!" another voice shouts. It sounds like Hari from Hari's Haberdashery. "Let's just focus on getting this door down."

"It's very sturdy," you hear Solokov, the clerk, say. "I think we'll have to get the guards to come break it down with a battering ram. Unless anybody has some explosives or the like on hand?"

Blog Entries

Dorsard brightens, glad that he could help.
    "Ah do! Or, Ah can make a few to help blow tha door open. Ah can make up tah four if needed, one for each corner of tha door. Would that be enough tah blow it open or would only a few necessary?"
    He turns and points the final question at the professor, whom he assumes knows just how much force the door in her own store would take to blow open. After all, she ordered it in the first place.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Doctor Peplum picks her notebook up from the ground and jots down some calculations.

"Let's see. With the average force of four normal bombs... two inches thick... I don't think it can be done, unless you manage to hit the hinges. You'd have to have excellent aim for that, but if you did manage to hit it I believe you'd only need one bomb. The wall beside the door isn't as sturdy as the door, and doesn't really require much aiming... I think you could take that down with two or three bombs."

(OOC: Door hinges have an AC:18 and 6hp, while the section of the wall surrounding the door has AC:10 and 30hp.)

With two well-placed bombs, you manage to blow the hinges off the door. A tall blonde woman rushes into the room to hug Doctor Peplum, then introduces herself to you as Professor Peplum of Peplum's Proper Wands, and Doctor Peplum's little sister. Peplum returns the hug for a second, then brushes her off and heads for the stairs to see what damage was done to her shop.

Upstairs, the fire has died down but the air still smells of smoke. The walls are covered in soot, the floor is a warped mess, and a chunk of the roof has fallen and crushed Solokov's desk. (Luckily Hari, Professor Peplum, and Solokov have already cleared away enough of the debris to uncover the trap door and make a path to the front door.) A thin layer of swirling pink and green mist hovers above the ashes of the shelves that used to hold the potions. ("That'll dissipate eventually," Professor Peplum says.) Doctor Peplum takes this all in with a mildly irritated look on her face, then shrugs and says, "At least most of the foundation is still good. It won't take too long to rebuild."

The guards soon come to take everybody's statements. Once you've given yours they clear you to go back to school. Doctor Peplum scribbles a note explaining your temporary skin condition, to give to Mr. Popov, and Professor Peplum presses a jingling bag of coin into your hands.

"For saving my sister from that halfling brute," she says. "I don't know what she would have done without you!"

By now it's 4:30pm, and the on again, off again rain has just started back on again.

Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 05-01-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Dorsard quickly hides the gold in his coat and gives Professor Peplum a small bow."It was mah pleasure tah help tha shop. They've helped me out, so it wouldn't be right tah not return the favor." He says his goodbyes, and after making sure that everyone has somewhere to stay after this tragedy he returns back to the school and presents the note to Mr. Popov.
    "Please tell me thats all Ah need tah get back in." He sighs. If the day kept going like this he wouldn't get back in until midnight.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

Popov scrutinizes the note for a long moment before tucking it into his pocket. He unlocks the gate and steps aside to let you in.

"Here you are," he says. "Apologies for the inconvenience, but I had to be sure, you know."

Blog Entries

"​No, Aye understand. Ah could easily be someone who turned their face invisible tryin' tah bluff mah way in. Good job." Dorsard pats the man on the elbow (the highest he can reach) and walks through the gates, immediately turning for the alchemy lab to find a teacher who might be able to identify how only his skin turned invisible. The applications were broad for such a thing. Of course he might not be able to think of all of them right now, but he was certain it could be put to SOME use at least.

You find no teachers in the alchemy lab at the moment, but Nurse Fenella is willing to take a look at your predicament. She calls in Professor Bhatt to consult and both women come to the agreement that isolating what exactly caused your skin to turn invisible would require more samples of the potion you took and weeks, months, or even years of experimenting.

Blog Entries

After lamenting the loss of possible income Dorsard decides to go find the others and see what they've been doing. Maybe another view would give him some ideas on how to replace his lost opportunity, as well as ideas on new potions. He would not make the same mistake as cousin Gromki, who had locked himself away for 60 years working on potions only to discover he had re-invented half of the common potion stock.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314