Thread: Chapter 1.4: troubled souls and consultations

Default Chapter 1.4: troubled souls and consultations

In the middle of the afternoon a thoughtful half-elf arrives at Volatile Vials. He opened the door carefully, and peeked inside. "Ellena Everbright?" It was Reed's intention to ask the potion maker about his dreams, before he left the city with the others.
    Last edited by windpeoples; 04-18-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    "No!!!!! It is not polite to poke a sleeping dragon in the eye!" - Last words of an Elven wizard to his Halfling rogue sidekick.

The "Versatile Vials" potion shop is nothing more than a small addition to the half-elf, Ellena Everbright's simple abode on the north side of town. As Reed approached the house, he could see a number of hastily scrawled pieces of parchment stuck to the front door. Written in multiple languages, the papers said, "Welcome to Versatile Vials! While we appreciate your interest, we are presently out of the following potions: healing, strength, heroism, speed, resistance, and youth. Current lead times are 4 weeks for all orders!" One last sheet of paper is listed in all capital letters, "I WILL EXPEDITE ORDERS FOR AN INGREDIENT RUN. INQUIRE WITHIN."

After entering the store, Reed notes that the shelves of the small shop have mostly been picked clean, with a few exceptions. She does still have a small amount of hemorrhoid relief cream and love potions, the later of which is clearly labeled "no refunds!". Apparently the recent state of fear hasn't caused a shortage of either of those items.

Ellena barely looks up as Reed comes in the store. As one of the oldest half-elves in the city, she has endured more than her fair share of racism over time. The city now is accepting of the human/elf union and their offspring, but that process happened slowly over the course of her 100 year life. She does a double-take upon recognizing Reed as another half-elf, whom she is always more comfortable in dealing with.

She flashes Reed a rare smile and listens to his request. She replies, "Hello. Reed is it? Hopefully you saw the sign. What can I help you with?" You note that she is hard at work at a series of flasks mixing and boiling various herbs and ingredients. You also note that she is not working alone today, and she is in the process of training another employee the fine art of potion making. A male human kid, probably in his late teens, is working with a second set of flasks and boilers trying to assist Ellena. While she waits for Reed's answer, Ellena walks over and adjusts the position of a small flame, decreasing the boiling in a small pot. She reminds her understudy, "Clymon, it's a slow boil. Boiling it too fast reduces the potency of the potion." The young red-headed freckled boy nods and quickly apologizes as he hastily scrawls more notes.

"Aye, ma'am! Reed it is". The half-elf then notices her apprentice. What I need to ask about is better asked in private... "Can you spare a moment, ma'am? I have a consultation of a... personal... nature..." Hopefully she could leave the human teen tending to the boiling flasks. If not, he would wait until she could take time off.
    "No!!!!! It is not polite to poke a sleeping dragon in the eye!" - Last words of an Elven wizard to his Halfling rogue sidekick.

Ellena is hesitant but gives some hasty instructions to Clymon and motions that Reed follow her through the curtain into her living quarters. Ellena leads Reed through a storage area filled with shelves of herbs and roots. Most sections are significantly depleted, while other areas are completely empty. She opens another door into a hallway of her house. There is a small table and chair, and the small room has the general feel of some kind of small waiting room. She shuts the wooden door behind her and says, "Okay. What can I help you with? Got an itch that won't go away from a visit to Xanthar, I expect?"

Reed blushed, knowing exactly what Ellena mean. "No, ma'am! In a sense, I wish!" It was true. Such an ailment would be far easier to treat. "You see, I have been having these dreams..."

The young half-elf then related how he had been having very odd dreams. At times, he was surrounded by a faint blue light. The boy couldn't really hear anything, but he could sense things: power, fury, change. While parts of what he saw were sometimes pleasant, he always awakened in a cold sweat after those dreams. Unfortunately, that was the prevalent dream. Much less often he would dream other things. Once, for example, he felt drawn into a distinctly different world, surrounded by green, instead of blue. He felt various emotions there, but fear was not one of them. The experience was short-lived though, and it turned instantly into the blue vision, and he felt true fear there, for the first time in his life. Reed didn't sleep the next night, too scared to do so.

"The dreams happen only once or twice a month, but I think I need help, so I came to speak with you. Can you shed any light on this?" I hope she can. This is really, really scary.
    Last edited by windpeoples; 04-19-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Ellena frowns and says, "Dreams can be trouble, especially if they are vivid and bothering you like this." She pauses and says, "I've got two options I can try under normal circumstances. The first is a mild sedative that might suppress them and make them go away. No guarantees on that. The other is basically an amplifier - it kicks your mind up a notch about 2 hours after you take it. In theory, it might give you more clarity to what you're seeing... or make things worse. Just be warned: if you have that dream where you are standing in front of a bunch of folks naked while on this stuff - you will shit yourself during your sleep. And I am not responsible."

She pauses and says, "But here's the deal. Right now, I am really really low on ingredients for just about everything useful. There is a farmer, Kedrick, that maintains a special grove that grows this stuff outside town about 10 miles to the north. I'm having a hard time getting anyone to go out there and get ingredients right now since... well everyone is convinced that if they aren't inside the city, they'll get eaten by the undead dragon thing that is rumored to be toying with us. Kedrick knows what I need. If you're in the area, just bring back the stuff, and I'll prioritize your order. What do you say?"

As Reed listened, his brow furrowed. "An amplifier? Sounds dangerous, but also sounds like it would work". The youngster did not have the brightest of minds, but he was not a dunce either. "Very well, If I ever go that way, I will make it a point to get the ingredients from Kedrick". Kedrick's farm had already been mentioned in the previous night's meeting, but he did not want to give away the group's intended departure.

Standing up, the lad smiled. "Thank you! Do I need to pay Kendrick, or do you have a standing arrangement with him?" After reciving his last instructions, the half-elf left, his outlook a little brighter.

Ellena looks genuinely happy that Reed is considering going and says, "I have an open arrangement with him, so don't worry about money. I deliver things to him periodically, but he's okay for now, I think. If he's not, he'll tell you, and I'll get him next round. And thank you if you do happen to go there. I would rather not leave the shop unless I can help it until Clymon is further along with his training."