Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House rules and general things

Surprise:
    A band of adventurers sneaks up on a bandit camp, springing from the trees to attack them. A gelatinous cube glides down a dungeon passage, unnoticed by the adventurers until the cube engulfs one of them. In these situations, one side of the battle gains surprise over the other.

The GM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other. Otherwise, the GM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.

To me, this revolves around noticing a threat. Assuming that the group passes stealth checks, here are my rules to determine whether the surprised party essentially loses a round due to the surprised condition.

If the enemy knows of no threat in the area and stealth beats perception, they are surprised. Examples would be: breaking into an inn room and attacking someone in their sleep; a well laid out ambush where no threat was known in the area.

In the enemy knows of a general threat in the area but hasn't seen it, they individually get a wisdom save to avoid the surprised condition. Examples include: a convoy going through "dead man's pass", a notorious ambush spot; finding fresh orc tracks in an area, and then being ambushed by orcs hours later; entering the cave of a bear with fresh tracks from a mother bear... and finding a stealthy father bear. The wisdom save for this is DC 10 if the creature type is the same as the known threat (beast known threat and attacked by a beast). The DC is 15 if the threat type is different than the known threat (bear known threat, but attacked by a dragon). Modifiers may decrease this if more specifics are known about the threat to lessen the chance of surprise. Again, the stealth check must overcome perception for this to come into play.

A known, seen threat in an area. The group is clearly on alert to a known threat, even if they aren't sure exactly when the attack will come. Examples: Predzar, the rhakshasa that cannot be detected, is appearing to attack you, and then disappear. He reappears 10 minutes later and repeats this process. After the initial attack, further attacks would fall here. Another example is chasing a known enemy into another unknown threat. The wisdom save is still DC 10 or 15 as detailed in the general threat, but it is rolled with advantage. Modifiers may decrease this if more specifics are known about the threat to lessen the chance of surprise. Again, the stealth check must overcome perception for this to come into play.

Failed saves mean that that the following surprised "condition" applies for one round:

If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren't.

Spell radius effects.

All radius spells have 5' added to them to make it easier for players to calculate at least the horizontal/vertical range on spells.

Which of the following monsters is in/outside the fireball? Some are obvious. Some, not so much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yjivsyipy...ample.BMP?dl=0

If a hex is completely inside the radius of the spell (0706), it is effected by the spell. What about the creatures that are partially in the sphere (0605, 1003, etc)? I will roll a 50/50 chance assigning each of them in or outside of it. If I roll "in" they get full effect. If I roll "out" they are completely missed by it. It is possible that some right next to others will be hit while others are missed.

Some will be a judgement call. 0704, 0804, 0903 will likely be in since almost the whole cell is inside the radius. Similarly I would say 0703 is "out".

This isn't perfect, but it's my best guess on how to mix D&D, hexes, and spell radius effects.
    Last edited by zebsen; 06-18-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Mastercrafted weapons are +1 to hit and +0 to damage. I've stated it before, but don't have it listed in the HR section.

For the Xanthar fort battle:

From the tree line to the first 25' south of it, it is rough terrain. No cover bonus. No concealment. You can hide behind a tree for half cover, but your horse is exposed.

From 30-55' south of the tree line, all ranged shots going both ways get half cover bonus. Perception rolls looking through 30-55' of dense forest (going both ways) get a -2 penalty. Again, rough terrain.

From 60-85' south of the tree line, all ranged shots going both ways get a 3/4 cover bonus. Perception rolls looking through 60-85' of dense forest (going both ways) get a -5 penalty. Again, rough terrain.

You can't see beyond 90' in a dense forest. The target gets total cover bonus. And yes, rough terrain.

North of the tree line is normal movement (no rough terrain), no perception or cover bonus. The area has been completely cleared of foliage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123