Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

Frustrated by the lack of door flying off hinges as she had envisioned, Regina glared down the the lock as if it had failed at its one job. Consequently it had, only not how she wished. Which is what lead to her nearly being caught off guard by Ian's voice. She almost startled, having forgotten who was in the shack and why she had broken in for a moment; the breaking had gotten her excited. The dagger didn't help much, managing a slight pause in the her advance, but only just.

"Put that away before you hurt yourself," Regi had reconfigured her face into that smug smirk and stepped in. He had looked impressed enough, or rather frightened enough, by her entrance that she could let go of the tinge of embarrassment the lock had garnered. "I came for my bounty Ian." She emphasized her statement by drawing both her blades. "You decide. Will it be your head or Gritz I take with me?"

Default Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Xubrai View Post
    Korak gives Phara a slightly puzzled look for a brief moment before remembering that not everyone is aware why he's traveling this way. He smiles politely and says...

"My order requested that I deal with Griznak. My companions are assisting me for... various reasons."
    “Oh really, what order is that?” Phara asks as she leans on the table, interested in hearing what this strange sophisticated half-orc has to say.

“The Order of the Blue Hand, ma’am. We are monks trained in the wisdom of the flesh and physical enlightenment. Trained as masters of mortal combat and defenders of those who seek self-improvement. The people here in the fringe settlements are among those people who are trying to better themselves but have become oppressed by this Gritznak creature.”

“The Blue Hand you say. You are far from home. It is impressive to know that the monastery hears about the goings on this far from their sheltered mountain top. You must have true valor in order to face such brutes as the gnolls, especially those following Gritznak.” Phara’s dark hair falls from behind her shoulder as she looks down at her cup. “Most gnoll packs keep their distance from human settlements and trade caravans as armed such as ours was. Preferring instead to live secluded lives hunting the large game of the prairie. Those gnolls that we faced back on the road were not of that kind. Their armor and their tactics were far more aggressive than their nomadic kin. This Gritznak is most assuredly a pioneer for his kind to be so successful in his reformation in their culture.” Korak easily recognizes the strategic training Phara possess as she shows respect and acknowledgment towards their enemy. No wonder why she has been such a good head of security for Ulwen.

“Well if you would excuse me, it is rather late. I feel that I must retire to my room and get rest for our long day ahead of us searching for Gritznak’s lair.” Korak stands and bows before walking towards the rooms then realizes they keys have not yet been issued to the table. He changes corse to the bar where Kerrwyn has finished putting away the antelope just moments ago received by Regina. After a quick exchange of information and Korak pointing towards the table where Ulwen still sat and a nod from the tall innkeep a key was handed to the tired monk.

OOC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    "Put that away before you hurt yourself," Regi had reconfigured her face into that smug smirk and stepped in. He had looked impressed enough, or rather frightened enough, by her entrance that she could let go of the tinge of embarrassment the lock had garnered. "I came for my bounty Ian." She emphasized her statement by drawing both her blades. "You decide. Will it be your head or Gritz I take with me?"
    “What the fuck are you talking about?” Ian tries to play stupid.

“I know a baroness who will pay a handsome fee to have you returned to her for questioning.” Regina clarifies. “So what will it be, am I taking you back to New Anochre or are you going to give me information on Gritznak to look the other way?”

“Well I am for sure ain’t going back that shithole. What is it you want to know?” Ian tries to bargain slowly loosening his grip on his hidden dagger under his jacket, waiting for Regina to do the same. Both stood poised for action and reaction, their elongated shadows cast by the hooded lantern on the barren table dance across the walls.

OOC
    I added a short dialogue for Regina to get beyond there one liner from Ian. So what do you want to know? If I don’t hear from you soon I’ll continue the conversation and get closer to the next morning for the rest of the gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regi would like to know the basics... If she was interested in the easy way. She would have repeated and expanded on her line of questioning earlier in the bar. The questions drummed into her to always get answers to before a job.

How many; subordinates did gritz have, what kind? Is it only gnolls? What did they take, money, riches, food... Magic items from the witch? What weapons did they have, although she knew a bit of that she was holding the best weapon she ever seen outside a noble's hip. Still it stood to question if the subordinates had this what did gritzy have. One had to know what they were up against.

How often; did they come, how much time between visits? Were they regular, erratic, or did they have a penchant to arrive at the most inopportune times? Right after an early harvest or when a merchant rich on goods rolled into town? Know your enemies movements to better coordinate you own.

Alas, Regi wasn't truly interested in the easy way. "Who's snitching." She grined a flash of pale teeth in the night. And that was all there was to it, she'd find the informant, and either follow it to gritzy or intercept the message and send her own. Regi's coming for you.

Ooc:
    Feel free to move us right along MT. I am excite.
    Last edited by No Body; 08-13-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Regina opened the inn’s door with a pointed deliberateness to draw eyes and concerns. A heavy atmosphere encompassed the barbarian, thick with ire and malice. Regi was cranky… Well more so than typical and she wore it with hunched posture, worn sighs and growled grumbles.

She looked around, first and perhaps most surprising, her eye fell upon the table her party had sat. Although with a closer look, it was clear she wasn’t looking for the boys but bag and the stiff drink she could really use in there. - Was it still there? Did she leave it with Ifron?

You see, the little Kuru was having difficulty containing the history lesson Ian had just given her there was no hope of her remember more than a few bits and pieces of what happened before. Another heavy sigh and her attention turned toward the table that took her gold without any remorse earlier. How long could a game like that last? What were the odds Ifron would still be around even if it had?

There were scoffs and then there were such absolute affronts of derision… “Kerrwen,” Regina called out to the innkeeper, her words dripping with weariness, “I need a stiff bed, a stiff drink and a stiff man.” She eyed him too long to pass it off as just a joke; judging by that predatory stalk closer she hadn’t the intention to pass it off as one anyway. “But I’ll settle for the room the pretty boy with the bow, the dwarf and silent green are in.”

There was no ceremony, no courtesy knock, no may I come in or are you decent, just menacing Kuru in your doorway in the middle of the night: Surprise. “I swear these backwater yolks are the dumbest; I’ve half a mind to take over myself.” Regina let herself in and shut the door behind her. “Look alive, I need one of you to think up a plan.”

Axle was engaging Kostan in an earnest debate about whether there is any culinary befit in putting onions into a stew with the skins still on or if it is merely a time-saving device on the cooks part, when the door flies open and bounces off the wall, trembling as if in the presence of a very august personage. Regi strides into the room like a queen. A very irate queen, apparently.

Interrupted mid-sentence, Axle eyes Regi's outburst with something bordering on amusement. He is about to ask if she's just discovered someone painting the flowers red but closes his mouth very suddenly with the question unasked. He'd nearly done it. With a full belly, surrounded by friendly faces after a day's march and skirmishing with bandits -it was just like being back with the rangers- he'd nearly forgotten himself and indulged in humour. But Mersai was dead. He mentally reproached himself. There never could be any joy in a world where Mersai was dead.

"Ah, Miss Thorn, back from your walk?" Axle forces a pleasant conversational tone, acting as if Regi had just made a perfectly ladylike entrance. He holds up her bag of colding and motions her over with a tilt of his head. When she is closer, "I had a plan to find the gnolls but it requires the co-operation of Ulwen." he continues in a low voice not intended to carry to the ears of the aforesaid. "But from what I gather, he's -uhh... -the good merchant's courage seems to be out of stock. Unless the others have a plan" he looks at his companions hopefully, "we'll just have to see if the locals can tell us anything and make good with guesswork and a lot of legwork."

Regi was all but too eager to take the bag back and instantly dug for the unaccounted for bottle... heaven. It may exist after all.

She pulled it out and drank a few fingers as the ranger spoke conspiratorialy; only half listening per usual. It took her a moment to catch up to everything said and in the interim she stared blankly allowing a pregnant silence to swell before exclaiming, "You mean he's a coward?" Asked but close to accusing, "I said as much earlier, you didn't have to say it... Fancier."

She seemed a bit embarrassed although she covered it well with gruff sensibility. "No matter how you say it, it's not going to change so plan b." And boys were you in luck, just look at those gams, see how her legs work.

"So," she started while she plopped down with a sigh reserved for those who've worked all day. "A few assholes lead by sheriff asshole decided that they were tired being whipped by orc assholes," she didn't pause to assure no offense to Korak, "and hired Gritznak the asshole for some asshole protection. Like I said, idiots. It works of course but all you end up doing is changing one asshole for another, best you could hope is that they're less shi-" she let the swash of alcohol finish her unintentional pun taking a swallow to wet her throat a bit dry already.

"He's not," the reveal without any suspense. "Abyss, he's worse. At least you don't have to pay an orc to take your stuff." She lifted the bottle to take a thrid swig, thought twice about it and instead offered her companions one. Regi settled back after handing the bottle off and picked back up what she found out from Ian. "Even worse when your neighbor can pay more. He gets to keep all his cows while you lose your daughter. For now anyway, Gritz is just milking this place but the wells drying up. The ones with the most to loose know it and sell out everyone else desperately. Probably already sent a message about our merchant. Wouldn't be surprised if a raid comes tomorrow so you should come up with a plan to ambush them when they do. But it's not all bad, the ones with precious little to loose should be even more desperate and with theright pressure will definitely do whatever we say for protection. There's a witch that wants to get out with her wanna be adventurer assistant and a houndsman with a full pack or five he likes more than people I hear. It's only a matter of time before Gritz tries to take them he'll take his best opportunity to stop that before they do, and I'm... We're it. Ulwen has the only weapons in the city but general store should have basic rope and what else do you need to build a trap?"

The barbarian asked earnestly putting high stock in the three. She knew she wanted some grandiose Rube Goldberg machination thing just didn't know how to do it yet expected they would. They were adventurers afterall right? This was what they do.
    Last edited by No Body; 09-02-2018 at 05:17 PM.

"Detailed report." Axle nods approvingly, "I hope you didn't leave any bodies that can be traced back to us." He watches the bottle go around the group but passes it on with a quick jerk of his head when it comes his way.

"I'd also expected that the gnolls would seek reprisal on the town for their losses today. But we can't just make a trap and expect them to find their way into it, far more likely that townspeople will be stumbling into it. Traps are put on a game trail," he explains, "but we just don't have enough information to know where the gnolls will attack from. There are two things that we do know." He holds up one finger, "First, we know that they'll be after the carts." Another finger goes up, "And we also know that wherever we put those carts the gnolls will know, thanks to the townspeople. That gives us the advantage of choosing where we meet them. Not in the town if we can help it. Too much risk to property and bystanders trying to-- Oh! Will they even help? We don't know that some won't turn on us to protect their own stuff. No, no. No fighting in the streets......"

Axle jumps up suddenly and begins pacing. Three steps this way. Turn. Three steps back. Turn. His hand unconsciously twists and tugs the short hairs under his lip. "Alright, how about this; we give the merchant one day to trade in the town. He simply isn't safe here. Someone has to persuade him of that by reason or even force. If they'll sell out each other, more-so him because he's a stranger."

Axle stops the pacing and sits back down with the group. "Tomorrow morning, we can go over the new equipment, sell what we don't need, talk to those people you mentioned who might be helpful and then -we leave. Well, except Kostan. We'll give out that we've gone to destroy the gnoll's camp and conceivably Gritznak will hear of that. I want him to think he can't leave the camp unguarded, so that he's not able to commit his whole strength. Really, we'll just be hiding out nearby where we can watch the town and south road.

Ulwen, trying to drum up some sales, will mention that he's only staying for the one day. Gritznak will certainly be told and hopefully decide it's better to attack him while he's vulnerable on the road and leave the town alone tomorrow night. But maybe I'm wrong, so we'll try to get the houndmaster to distribute his dogs through the town so they can give warning if the attack comes at night. Kostan will stay here with the merchant to make sure he doesn't change his mind after we leave, besides they might need a third person to drive the cart if they can't hire any help.

Morning of the second day, the carts will leave with Kostan. We, hidden outside the town, will follow out of sight. This is the dangerous part, for we don't know where the ambush will be and must be careful not to give ourselves away before they do. But once they move on Kostan and Phara in the carts, we and any help we might have gotten from the town can hit them on the side."

"Well, there's a plan" Axle gestures at the group, "pick holes in it. Go."

There's an haphazard shrug in response to the quite legitimate concern of a trail of bodies. It was completely noncommittal and didn't satisfy as a reply one way or the other; a girl has to have her secrets.

Regi listened stonefaced to Axel's plan at first but the longer it went on the deeper the furrow in her brow dug. Common was her second language and despite her not having a conversation in her first in longer than she could remember she still had moments she'd struggled to keep up, especially with drink in her. All the pacing back and forth wasn't helping either. She couldn't tell you why it wasn't, it just wasn't. And so her commentary was late and dealt primarily with came before it all.

"Screw this place and these people. They brought this on themselves. I mean they actually brought it, and still paying it off. Even if we don't wreck the town killing gritz, the orcs will next week once they realize the protection is gone. So give me the best plans, not the best for this city plan."

With that she turned from Alex to Kostan, "Oy magic fingers. What kind of things can witches... wizards do? Heal like you?"

Before he could respond she snapped at the Monk something about it all having been bugging her finally coalescing into a thought she could express. "Korak, how are gnolls kicking orcs' asses? They're just over grown puppies." Maybe there was some insight they could gain by understanding the tactics the enemies utilized. Or perhaps she just felt like taking a racist jab at him, was she still mad?

Overall Regina didn't contribute much by way of plan but perhaps those better suited could use her perspective to help sure up their own.

The monk, having just gotten into a proper meditative state in a nice corner of the room, had been attempting to ignore Regi's outburst. Being asked to partake in developing a strategy would have been enough to prod him into responding, but now the barbarian's question also required an answer.

"To be honest Axle, I don't see an issue with that sort of plan. I'm not much of a tactician, so I hadn't planned much more than 'beat Gritznak to death'."

His gaze then moves to Regi, though he seems much calmer than she might have expected.

"They may not be more than over-sized dogs, but they are clearly smarter than some would give them credit for. I know not why any orc tribe would lose to them in a fight, but I've had less exposure to the orcs than some in this room have, so that's not saying much."
    See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast