Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

"That's it?" Regi scoffed not impressed with the offer, "I-" she paused, her attention slowly pulled toward those still standing. Her brow knotted as it took her a moment to realize they were standing up to her. The women that just dropped six gnoll paws on the table as if she dispatched them all herself? How bold, how daring, how... stupid.

Her upper lip lifted slightly, not enough to bare fangs but a snarl none the less; that was the downside of lost infamy. Sure you could freely sign documents that promised gold in exchange for each bloody paw she could hack off, but you also have to suffer under fools convinced you're just another mark. "Sit down." Regi commanded with a tone that was both cruel and dismissive, the one thing she learned from the nuns of the orphanage. It was the tone reserved for disobedient wild mutts and those deemed below even that like little stolen Kuru children.

"I," she picked right back up once the others sat and took up Iforn's cup filling it to overflowing. "Don't need a direction. I can just wait here and it'll show up sooner or later when I kill enough of them." Of course she didn't gave the cup back, instead she circled around to Ifron's side of the table with a sway in her hips. "I'm far more interested in knowing how many," gnolls Gritznak had. "How often," they raided the town. "How soon?" They would return.

Regina prodded while she ran fingertips tenderly over his shoulder crossing behind him. "What do they take, what do they they have. Useful information Ifron." She bent over to his ear. "Like who's the spineless sycophant working with the bitch in exchange for it's pathetic life and scant means." She purred low and seductive, not exactly a whisper but certainly not announcing it to the table.

There was an eerie shift of competence that coupled the words; this wasn't Regi the barbarian who struggled against the desire to flip tables. No something was very different about her in that moment, and not just the two gold piece words she threw out casually. It was an assured confidence that boarded on accusatory, she wasn't guessing, she knew(almost as if she crit a criminal profession roll)... because that's what she would do. It only made sense, it was the best way to conduct this kind of operation.

She smiled, teeth... no fangs bared as lips parted and her tongue slid across each point. And just as she drew her tongue back she poured the shot in and launched a surprise kiss on Ifron full of Oldlaw whiskey. There was a drink, if he wanted two... "That's the information that'd I'd be willing to spend a few drinks and company on."

Default Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

“It’s probably that leper, Kent.” Regina heard Mustache say.

“Oh, Gwion just leave the poor man alone. He’s never hurt anyone. He keeps to himself.” Freckles protested.

“Shut it Menilaus! Maybe it’s your bitch aunt Blodwyn. Who knows what she’s been doing with the dark arts. She’s a Witch isn’t she? She’s most likely trading secrets for magic trinkets and shit.” Gwion palms Menilaus’ freckled face and shoves him back into his seat.

“My aunt is not a witch. She’s a skilled mage and she’s been trying to find a way to save the town.” The young man shouts back. “Unfortunately with you along with it.” He says under his breath.

“Oh that’s right it’s that Amanda woman, she’s the witch, always talking about those fucking fairies. What fairies? I’ve live here for six years and haven’t seen a damn one. That’s probably what she’s doing every few weeks sneaking off into the woods at night and sharing information about the militia.” Gwion retorts.

“It could be any of the ranchers really. Maybe even multiple trying to save what little cattle they do have. Taxes to Gritznak or taxes to the Empire, what difference does it make? At least the Orcs aren’t coming every spring, raping and pillaging, Gritznak only takes what is needed for the month. It wasn’t until we started fighting back that he started killing and abducting townsfolk. Maybe Gritznak is the better of two evils and our price to pay for piece of mind. But still I bet everyone else is biting their tongue regretting ever to ally with a Gnoll.” Regina heard the tall patron confess right before he was elbowed in the gut by Gwion. Most likely to shut him up, but by the looks on the mustachioed man, he had already said too much.

“Nefydd shut yer yap.” Gwion barked. “What about you Ian, do you have anything to add?” He turns and threatens the short man across the table.

“No. I ain’t got nothin’ to say.” He mumbles. Though the look on his face says otherwise.

All the while Ifron sat back and watched the rest of the table spill their hands. He on the other hand would not so willingly spread his lips. He would gladly share the lore of the area and help in any other way he could if this warrior goddess shared his bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes her a moment but there is something about Ian that rings a bell. The name Ian Meanz comes to Regina’s mind. He is a lowly thief and malcontent. He escaped the hangman’s noose by shear luck some years ago. Sick of hiding everyday he left New Aenochre about a year ago and until now hasn’t been heard of or seen since. He is a wanted man, and one particular baron in New Aenochre would pay dearly to have Ian brought back for justice. But so is Regina and wether she really wants to go through the trouble of going back to that cesspool port city of the empire isn’t exactly what she has in mind. That’s why she came out east in the first place. But maybe during her short stay, she could use that knowledge as leverage on the short man.

Regi arched a brow as all the small fish took the bait she laid out for Ifron. They rattled off names she couldn't hope to follow if she wanted to; good thing she didn't want to. Speculation and petty gripes was exactly what she didn't want that's why she asked Ifron.

"Shutu-" she started as the talk of fairies and politics begun but stopped as Nefydd begun defending the gnoll. Her frown curled upward into the most smug one could muster with just a look. Or you'd think then Gwion gave out an elbow and a full smile bloomed on Regina's face.

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear. And it shows them pearly white.

She flashed the smile at Ifron and patted his shoulder before pouring him a drink for the hell of it. "I respect survival," She made eye contact with smiles but talked to the table. "But have no quarter for weakness. Bend under pressure, manipulate or escape from it fine, but to break and make your master your savior?"

She spat then glared right at Gwion. Her burning red eyes netting his as she continued. "Pathetic."

Her vision drifted towards Ian and that smug smirk crept back on her lips. "I remember killing some cowards that thought they'd try protect a bounty from me. Baron deFray paid me extra for bringing their heads back too... New Aenochre may be shite but I always liked the baron. She always paid"

And it shows them...
    Last edited by No Body; 07-07-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Back at the other table with every seat taken by Axle, Korak, Kostan, Ulwen and Phara a less intense conversation takes place.

“Ulwen was down right concerned for ye miss. He wouldn’t leave yur side ‘till he knew ye would be taken care of by that nice fella Griffey.” The dwarf assures Phara of Ulwen’s dedication to preserving her life and safety. “Glad te have ye still with us ma’am. Ye’ve got a fighten’ spirit.”

The other meals and drink finally reach the table for the three new guests. Ulwen confirms with the serving girl that whatever the other two had ordered and what ever the feisty dark skinned woman making a scene at the game table ordered along with the Kostan ordered will be covered tonight by him personally.

“Would you folks be needing a room for tonight as well?” Ulwen asks his rescuers. “If they need a room I’ll pay for the night as well.” He finishes and hands the woman a couple gold coins to settle the tab for now and ensures her to see him if there are any other expenses.

“So Phara, I have gotten to know a bit about your husband here, what about yourself. How long have you been traveling and managing his security force.” Kostan asks between drafts of ale.

The mention of Ulwen being her husband takes her of guard and she nearly spills her own drink. “Oh no Ulwen and I are not married.” She says as she wipes the spilled ale off her chin. “I’ve just been in charge of the security detail for the past couple years.” She gives her employer a coy glance. She has had suspicions that he had feelings for her but she hasn’t quite felt the same way about him. But perhaps just maybe she’ll look at him differently.

This also causes Ulwen to blush and nervously fumble his own drink. “That’s right, she’s been the best head of security I’ve ever had.” Ulwen raises his mug up as a casual toast than takes a quick swig. “Unfortunately today we’ve lost some great men as well. But I have full confidence that she’ll be able to train any new potential recruits who are interested in having a good way to get away from this place.”

Last edited by MTpaladin; 07-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Ian’s face went stark white at the mention of New Aenochre and Baroness DeFray. “I’m suddenly not feelin to well boys. I’m ‘fraid I’ll be callin it an early night. Good night miss. Hope you find what your lookin for and you finally rid us of Gritznak.” He says as he gathers up what few coins he had remaining, staggers toward the door and disappears into the darkness of the crisp night air.

The others make no movement to stop him, after all it meant one less person attempting to win the swelling hoard. Instead they slowly sit back down keeping their eyes on Regina and Ifron wondering when it would be acceptable to grab the dice and continue playing.

Ifron on the other hand continues to play it cool. “I’ve got plenty to share, but not in the current company.” The handsome man whispers as Regina obscures his face from the other players. “Well that’s unfortunate, always sad to see a good fella go. Hope he hasn’t caught anything serious.” He takes a sip of the malted liquor. “Hmmm, thank you for sharing. Now I’m sure you got yourself a few good leads to help you get started. We’ve been lucky for the past few weeks, haven’t had any of Gritzy’s goons come by for some time. Couldn’t tell ya when he might show up next since he’s nearly picked the town clean ‘sept the periodic livestock here and there to sustain his pack. It might be soon however, now that you rolled into town with that fancy merchant friend of yours.”

"Shame," her absent minded response as she watched her new toy head toward the door. "I'd love to here more... In my room... Later tonight." She handed Iforn what bit she won so far. "Win me something...dangerous." She winked, tossed the bag of coding over her shoulder after stuffing the bounty makers back inside, then headed after Ian with that same wild flare in her eyes as when she chased down the sheep.

It caught a flicker of the table the rest of the party sat surprisingly and she grinned at Axel. She had found more prey, she was on the chase again and the bag would just slow her down. She dropped it on the table and purred excitedly, "keep 'em safe till I come back." Then went straight for the door.

"Ian, wait. I have something I want to show you." Run. Run Ian. Run! Of god please run.

Korak raises his mug, admittedly full of water, in a toast.

"To those lost, and to the road ahead."
    See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve.

“Where da ye think she’s goin’?” Kostin asks after seeing Regina nearly drop the bag of colding in Axle’s dinner and rush to the door.

Regina dashes out of the Empty Flagon and into the cool, crisp evening air. She is met with a towering eldritch shadow no more than 90 feet from the door in the town center. Silhouetted in the darkening sky, the twisting barren branches of the ancient oak tree seem to grasp for her as well as the distant stars and moon in the clear night sky. The raspy subsong squacks of a raven hidden in the dark branches and the old frayed rope that dangles from a large branch add to the illusion of being an ancient eldritch being as it sways in the faint evening breeze.

Regina dashes past a small shack constructed near the base of this large hanging tree. Though Malforten has no sheriff or real ‘legal’ authority figure, it does have a jail. On occasion the town must punish a wrongdoer and does so by placing them in here. The shack is nothing more than a small log building with a metal grate over the door. Although the dying oak tree is used to hang people if necessary. But by the looks of the old frayed rope that still hangs in its branches, it has not been used in a long time. At one time they did have a goblin in there, but eventually hanged it. By the light of the full moon, Regina can see a number of mushroom caps sprouting up underneath the tree known as ‘Hangman Spirits’ by the superstitious locals.

Off in the distance towards the edge of town Regina sees the shape of a figure, most likely Ian walking towards his home.

“Ian, wait. I have something I want to show you.” Regi shouts ahead.

Ian hears her shouts, then turns to see who is calling for him. After recognizing the aggressive woman and remembering her threat of bounty he turns and runs. But in the darkness dips into the shadows behind another building, hoping to lose her.

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast