Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

Default Chapter 2 The Rising Heroes

“Oh right.” Ulwen immediately scurries over to one of the horses and grabs one of the ropes. He leads the horse over to Axle, then takes the end of the rope and does his best to tie it off to the railing held up by Kostan and Regina. He guides the rope over the other side so the horse can more efficiently lift the wagon.
    “Ok all tied off. Go ahead and pull!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the horse begins to tighten up the tension in the rope, the knot slips and cinches closed. “By Torag’s Hammer this might work.” Kostan thought to himself. With each sturdy step of the horse the wagon slowly raised and began to right. Kostan quickly went around to the other side to help slow the descent.

Now with the wagon back on its wheels its cargo can be gathered and reloaded. Kostan quickly begins gathering up the many sacks of goods and the many other items to be loaded back into the wagon before helping Ulwen load Phara onto a comfortable spot in the wagon among the sacks of flower and feed.

Among the many items gathered by the party Regina loads strange looking staves of varying length made of both carved wood and iron, some with axe and mace heads or blades affixed to the end. Many of these items were found near the dead bodies of the guards. Korak loads a hogshead of a sooty powder and a heavy crate that had spilled its contents; sacks filled with hundreds of small lead balls and coils of strange small rope. Axle mended the harnesses and hitched up each of the horses. Ulwen remains in the back of the wagon to care for Phara, not worrying to much about the many items and weather or not they are all retrieved and reloaded. With the help of each other, the four of them were able to get the wagon quickly reloaded and the harnesses for the horses mended and hitched enough or rigged to at least make it to town.

After about half an hour Ulwen steps down from the wagon and confronts his rescuers.
    “Thank you so very much kind strangers. I am Ulwen Igorson, merchant and trader of supplies and goods. I also carry many oddities and other items that folks in the fringe don’t normally get an opportunity to buy at heir local farming goods store. I was certain that Phara and I were as good as dead being out here for a whole night and day. We are on our way to Malforten when we were ambushed by this pack of savage beasts. Phara and her guards fought bravely but could not fight off every one of them even with the aid of their arquebuses.” The word was as foreign to everyone’s ears as if a dog were to literally speak. “Would you kind folks help gather the guards so I might give them a proper burial in Malforten. I could not live with myself it I just left them out here.” Ulwen requests as he shakes everyone’s hands. He appears to be in better condition and less effected by the trauma now that the danger has passed and is receiving help.

Axle nods at Korak as if to say 'This is our job' and moves off to gather the bodies thinking they have to get moving soon if they still are to reach Malforten before darkness falls.

The bodies of the guards were respectfully gathered and placed on the the other wagons.

As Axle and Korak prepare the body of the third guard, Axle notices that the jacket does not look right. It doesn’t sit right on the man, as if the pockets and pouch has been picked through. To make sure that the guards belongings are still there, all that remains among his other items is a small collection of letters carefully folded and tucked away in the pocket.

Last edited by MTpaladin; 04-29-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Regi doesn't shake hands. Oops my bad that's actually a direct quote, let's try again. "...Regi doesn't shake hands." Delivered after a long pause from the cross armed Kuru woman after leaving Ulwen hanging an uncomfortably long moment. It wasn't so much a general rule despite the matter of fact tone it took, but a new one she just made up... for this exact situation. Perhaps it would stick if there was much more of this assisting without payment to happen in the future. She didn't care for it, evident in how she turned and walked away trending to the bag of hands she kept close.

A task she took without needing to be ask, or bribed or otherwise persuaded. Perhaps a line of professionalism ran beneath that abrasive front or perhaps it was merely greed. Each hand was a bounty marker, a commodity, and in being was held among the highest regards for the clandestine business woman. She kept them close safe as away from the general loot she had begun to appraise and divvy as the others decided to 'help' the perfectly alive and healthy man by doing everything for him so he wouldn't risk breaking a nail?

"Ten and one," she announced to none in particular. "Each." She had made four stacks of varying coinage, all totaling the value of ten gold and one silver. Well three stacks as she took hers before moving onto appraising the gear.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollappraise - (d20+4) [22]

Korak collects the letters, but doesn't bother with any of the other items. He's eager to get moving, and doesn't have much use for the weapons.
    See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve.

As Regi methodically picks up the items and transfers them to the nearest wagon, she takes extra care that her plunder is not mixed with Ulwen’s merchandise. If her memory serves her right she can put a decent estimate on many of the items.

Last edited by MTpaladin; 05-02-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Now that everything is loaded and ready to go, there remains one problem. There are three wagons and only Ulwen to drive them. If he took one, the other two would surely be picked clean or gone by the time he would be able to recover them.

The merchant again thanks his saviors. “Thank you again so much. You wouldn’t be heading towards Malforten would you?” After waiting for a response from the Adventurers, he continues to ask, “If you are, would you mind assisting me even further by getting my caravan to our destination? For your kindness I would like to open my inventory to you. You may have any few items you like. It’s the least that I could do for rescuing Phara and myself in addition to all your help.”

Based on what everyone could see from cleaning up and loading the other items, Ulwen’s caravan is not just your bulk merchant carrying mass amounts of a few commodities. His wagons are stocked well enough, with a wide assortment of items as any other storefront in a major city. From base food supplies, farming equipment to jewelry and other trinkets. There were also those strange weapons and mysterious black powder. He might even be able to identify a few of the strange items and may also be willing to purchase the things that were taken from the gnolls.

Korak takes the driver's position on one of the wagons. Doing his best to look as though he's undertaken this task before, he grabs the reins and puts on a look of eagerness and resolve.
    See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve.

At first Axle doesn't even consider driving the wagon. His own feet are far more reliable. A wagon is heavy and noisy. A wagon can only go forward. A wagon needs a road. And roads are just too, too restricting. Rangers don't use roads, they go where they will. And so the silences stretches on, Axle expecting any moment someone else will put their hand up for the job.

Only after it becomes obvious that no one else will do it, Axle belatedly remembers that dwarves are not renowned for their horsemanship. And Regi- well, she doesn't seem to take much notice of a thing if she can't eat it or sell it.

Axle nods shortly, trying not to let his reluctance show though "Right, I'll take the other."
    Last edited by StillClimbing; 05-03-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast