Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Retracing the Rat's Steps

Owl follows Irfan into the tavern. "A bit early for drinks," she comments when her classmate orders wine. "I just wanted to see this place."

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

The inside of the Tortoise Shell is dimly lit by little orbs of light floating around the ceiling. To one side there's a long bar with a marble countertop in a pattern vaguely resembling the outside of a tortoise shell. The dining area has twelve small, round tables. Only one of the tables is taken at this time of day, by a lizardfolk who looks about ready to fall out of his seat.

The human bartender is tall, even for a Meio man, and bald. It's hard to tell in this lighting, but it looks like his left eye might be glass. He pulls a bottle of red wine and two glasses out from behind the bar and hands them to Irfan.

"Anything else?" he asks.

Lifting the glass up so that the ceiling lighting shines through, Irfan replies, "no. This will do nicely." He takes the bottle and glasses, then turns to head to Owl.

After two steps he stops and looks back to the bar, "actually, there is something with which you might be able to help my friend. She heard of a fellow student of ours, who engaged in some gambling in your fine establishment a week or two ago. I'm guessing that it's not a daytime activity by the absence of participants. Will there be any games of chance to test one's luck later today?"

Blog Entries

Dorsard finally makes it through the doors of the Shell, puffing slightly. He hated running. It wasn't natural for a dwarf. If the gods had wanted them to run they would have given them longer legs! After spending a moment fuming at the indignity he straightens up and marches over to Owl and Irfan.
    "Have we found anythin' yet?" He rumbles in a caricature of a whisper.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

"Irfan was just inquiring about when we might find a game," Owl replies. "Though I'm not sure gambling is the best way to get a bit of coin. I heard one student got so drunk he gambled away everything he had, including his clothes, and had to walk back to the dorms naked." She speaks at a normal volume, easily heard by everyone present.
    Last edited by shadowthebard; 04-11-2018 at 05:24 AM.

------------

The bartender shrugs at Irfan.

"Sometimes people rent out the back room to host games and events. There's a dice game that's supposed to take place tonight, but it's invite only... I could get you in touch with the host if you like."

To Owl, he says, "That's an amusing story, but false. I wouldn't let anybody leave here naked. I believe one of your fellow students did partake in a game recently... he probably lost a bit of money, drunk as he was, but he had all his clothing."

"I should have known that story was exaggerated," Owl comments. "Probably wasn't a ratfolk, either."

------------

The bartender crosses his arms and leans forwards on the bar.

"Oh, no, he was a ratfolk. Probably how he got so drunk. His tiny body just couldn't handle the alcohol. As long as you know your limits you'll be fine. Now, do you want to meet the game runner or not?"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast