Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of Creation: Darkness from Light! Recruitment Thread

Default Lords of Creation: Darkness from Light! Recruitment Thread

Before the universe became as it is now there were gods.
    They grew, loved, hated, and otherwise existed. They made grand creations and life to worship them. Everything was well; but for the subtle tension that arose from the differing factions of gods began to rot their hearts. One day a god, the god of Light, killed another.

This led to an all out war between the pantheons that had formed. The war destroyed the life that they had created, and cursed the grand creations to forevermore be tarnished.

Every single god fought, those that did not were slain early on. All of them fought in a haze of blood and hatred that had no meaning that could be remembered.

Near the end of this tragedy, sorrow overcame hatred inside the god of Light; but nothing could undo the tragedy that it had brought. While things might never be the same, new things could still be grand. With the help of a few great gods who were also broken by hatred and tragedy; the god decided to unleash their Light upon the universe in full.

The Light
    scrubbed away the universe, even the concepts and alternate realities were not spared. Everything was purged, and then the Light began to fade. Before all was gone but the Void a voice rang out through All: "Create". Only a few motes of what once was and fragments of light and shadows heard this call, what shall they do?

Howdy! I hope to start Lords of Creation: Darkness from Light! I'm a fan of the free-style of this game and have a friend on these forums, so I decided to see if there was any interest for this game. I did not create this system, and am basically using what other people have worked hard to make with a few tweaks.

For those of you that do not know what Lords of Creation is, LoC is a cooperative story-focus game where each player takes on the role of a god. As gods the players shape a blank world into a world of their own design (no need for d&d-ish stuff, but keep it fantasy-ish). They interact with each other to create mortals, magics, civilizations, and the very land all this takes place in.

The Rules:
    While this is a very rules light game compared to something like d&d, there are a few things even gods must consider when going about play.

Mods:

Posting Quota and Divine Combat When Your Gone:

The First World's Curse:

Some of Mystic's great advice on curse wars:

Life and Concept Ownership:

Character Sheet:
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 03-29-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Random Conflict Resolution
    Sometimes players can’t come to a conclusion on how an event should be dealt with. Sometimes a God wants to press combat with another God or society. To alleviate such problems Random Conflict Resolution can be called. All Gods receive a 1d10 regardless of their Rank and an additional +1 per domain they posses. Societies are given a flat 1d6. Gods cannot interfere with society combat rolls just as societies cannot interfere with Godly combat. These rolls can be altered by additional AP moves as indicated by their write up. Gods may force a combat for 2AP and other Gods may assist in an RCR for the cost of 1AP.

Action Point System:

The Action Point System is a measure of how much power and divine influence your Deity has and can expend at any one time. Each week, at 12:00 PM EST on Friday, every player gains their Weekly AP during what is referred to as 'rollover'. This AP can be spent in any way you want, and if the chief method of changing or creating things on the world that we are crafting. Players start the game with 16 AP, and begin gaining AP normally upon their first rollover. Please note, you need not have your deity expend AP to interact normally with others! Gods still have a great deal of influence and power even at 0 AP!

Divine RankWeekly APRequired DomainsMaximum InfusionsMaximum AP
    Demigod42216
    Lesser Deity54320
    Intermediate Deity66424
    Greater Deity79528
    Elder Deity812632

AP Actions

Application:
    When you decide to post an application please use the character sheet provided above. I'll then review and approve the ones that are both at least slightly creative and seem to have clear reasoning as to why they'll interact with the other players. I might also start discriminating a bit against gods themed similarly to others; no point in having 4/5ths of the players be LG paladin types, or chaotic evil murder-hobos (however fun that might be).

Excited for this one!

Ephine, Queen of Myriads

Player: Boethius
    Domains (Portfolios): Water (Rivers), Light (Colors)
    Alignment: N, leans chaotic good.
    Symbol: A river twisting into a horizontally-oriented, infinity symbol, cyan-blue near the center and prismatic near the edges. Ornate depictions will include otters swimming in the cyan section.
    Pantheon: None yet.
    Appearance: Ephine never appears with the same visage twice. Her form is rarely solid and infrequently humanoid; instead, she prefers her form to remain liquid or composed of light. Although she will usually maintain different river-mammal like shapes when alone, Ephine will mimic the general shape of whichever beings in her proximity. She is best distinguished by the brilliant colors and unusual composition of these shapes.
    Personality: Queen Ephine is an energetic fusion of serenity and enthusiasm. She sees beauty in variety and promotes the diversification of the world. In general, she enjoys interacting with other gods and learning of their own creations just as much as sharing her own; however, she wholeheartedly resists stagnation and "simplification." Ephine will fight against anything or anyone that tries to dominate and stymie the world's diversity. She appreciates that destruction and limitation is a part of growth, but they are not ends in themselves.
    Dogma: "Beauty is a word with infinite definition. Each thing is unique and wonderful for it. Rejoice at the unending myriad of the universe!"
    Creations: None yet.

4. Default

Name: Amrak, Lord of Vengeance, The Ever-watchful.
    Player Name: Demfro
    Domains (Portfolios): Law (Justice), Luck (Karma)
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Symbol(s): A Sword on a blank coin, one half sky blue, the other half blood red.

Appearance: Amrak is a large imposing figure with darkness surrounding his eyes, when seen by someone with good karma they see someone of their own race inside the armor, when seen by those with bad karma, red eyes glow from within the darkness. dressed head to toe in silver platemail adorned with a cape that on one side is tattered and covered with blood, while the other is clean and perfectly pristine. He carries a greatsword with red and blue coloring on the two sides of it. The red side sharp and covered with blood, the blue side blunt to the point where it would make a better club than a made, anyone 'knighted' by this side receives good karma.

Personality: Amrak is a very variable god in terms of personality, he will treat those that treat him with kindness will find the same generosity in him, those that treat him with disrespect will get no respect in return. He likes to act as though he is in charge, although he will take advice from other gods and even sometimes powerful mortals on his actions. Though don't expect to change his mind on what is and is not right any time soon, unless you have a very good argument.
    Dogma: "All will get what they deserve, for better or for worse." His followers must uphold this at all times, either by taking notes of sinners and good-doers and delivering it to the church, or by personally providing punishment, the former is preferred by the god so he and/or his disciples can make sure sinners get exactly what they deserve instead of being killed for something when they otherwise were a good person. Though he understands not everyone can bring themselves to stand by and watch crime being committed.
    Creations:​ None yet.

Sorry about the drastic change but for some reason I completely forgot good karma existed and so I kind of just made the first version of my Amrak specifically to punish evil-doers instead of doing that as well as helping the good people.

Last edited by Demfro; 03-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
    Excited for this one!

Ephine, Queen of Myriads

Player: Boethius
    Domains (Portfolios): Water (Rivers), Light (Colors)
    Alignment: N, leans chaotic good.
    Symbol: A river twisting into a horizontally-oriented, infinity symbol, cyan-blue near the center and prismatic near the edges. Ornate depictions will include otters swimming in the cyan section.
    Appearance: Ephine never appears with the same visage twice. Her form is rarely solid and infrequently humanoid; instead, she prefers her form to remain liquid or composed of light. Although she will usually maintain different river-mammal like shapes when alone, Ephine will mimic the general shape of whichever beings in her proximity. She is best distinguished by the brilliant colors and unusual composition of these shapes.
    Personality: Queen Ephine is an energetic fusion of serenity and enthusiasm. She sees beauty in variety and promotes the diversification of the world. In general, she enjoys interacting with other gods and learning of their own creations just as much as sharing her own; however, she wholeheartedly resists stagnation and "simplification." Ephine will fight against anything or anyone that tries to dominate and stymie the world's diversity. She appreciates that destruction and limitation is a part of growth, but they are not ends in themselves.
    Dogma: "Beauty is a word with infinite definition. Each thing is unique and wonderful for it. Rejoice at the unending myriad of the universe!"
    Creations: None yet.
    I like her, simple yet whole, she's approved and can join in once the game starts. This does make me wonder, who will be our god of the sun; and if we don't have one, what will our replacement light/heat source look like?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm unsure what I'll be playing myself, I've got a few ideas but I guess I'll probably go for whatever is most needed. Sadly, I doubt that'll be a cosmic horror abomination, the shame.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 03-29-2018 at 07:50 AM.

A couple of questions (since i never joined a game like this before)

1) How many Domains a God starts with?
    2) What is the difference between domain - portfolio?
    3) Can i make "my own domains" ?
    4) Should the domains make sense from the beginning?
    (for example i'm flirting with "Discovery" & "Invention". But they make no sense existing unless mortals are there to discover & invent things)
    5) Assume a God creates.. lets say Humans. Are they automatically his "followers"? Can i give them "the will" to go and invent stuff?
    or make some of them my followers?
    6) In what way a God interacts with the mortals?
    Directly1 (i say what to do and they do it)
    Directly2 (i "talk" to a priest or another believer and he then conveys the message)
    Indirectly (with Signs - like burning bush, earthquakes, eclipses etc)
    7) First goal of the game is to have fun and eventually create an interesting world.
    What are the secondary goals? Coexist? reach Highest divine level? Indirectly rule the world by having most/all the followers?
    8) In what ways can i have my followers interact/mess with other Gods & their followers?
    (for example.. Expedition team discovers definite proof Goddess Ephine exists!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerilstrasz View Post
    A couple of questions (since i never joined a game like this before)

1) How many Domains a God starts with?
    2) What is the difference between domain - portfolio?
    3) Can i make "my own domains" ?
    4) Should the domains make sense from the beginning?
    (for example i'm flirting with "Discovery" & "Invention". But they make no sense existing unless mortals are there to discover & invent things)
    5) Assume a God creates.. lets say Humans. Are they automatically his "followers"? Can i give them "the will" to go and invent stuff?
    or make some of them my followers?
    6) In what way a God interacts with the mortals?
    Directly1 (i say what to do and they do it)
    Directly2 (i "talk" to a priest or another believer and he then conveys the message)
    Indirectly (with Signs - like burning bush, earthquakes, eclipses etc)
    7) First goal of the game is to have fun and eventually create an interesting world.
    What are the secondary goals? Coexist? reach Highest divine level? Indirectly rule the world by having most/all the followers?
    8) In what ways can i have my followers interact/mess with other Gods & their followers?
    (for example.. Expedition team discovers definite proof Goddess Ephine exists!)
    1. You start with two domains and the portfolios for both.
    2. Found from Divine Advancement, Domains and Portfolios: "Domains are a broad category such as Darkness, War, Disease that a Portfolio fits under. In simple terms, a God is a god of its Portfolios and not its Domains. Portfolios thus are more narrow such as Rivers, Rain, Storms etc. Gods may share Domains but cannot share Portfolios and Gods can have multiple of the same Domain but not the same Portfolio. Domains and Portfolios should be written as Domain (Portfolio) on one's character sheet."
    3. Yes, you can make your own domains, but since they are broad topics it'd be hard to create unique domains, portfolios on the other-hand are much easier to make unique.
    4. Yes, all domains and portfolios should make sense from the beginning. You get new ones in play, and so can build up to those that would not make sense normally in play.
    5. Look under "Life and Concept Ownership", the basic answer is that, yes, the people you create will be your followers as long as it would make sense in the story. Same goes for gathering more followers from other people's creations, though the creator god typically has a big advantage.

You could give them the will to create things, but why would humans need that? We're already crazy inventing machines as long as we are not starving or being killed off by stuff. Any new (major) invention does need AP spent, but you can just fluff the humans creating what you wanted without divine intervention.
    6. Well, umm, directly? At least for a time. Demigods exist in the same world as the mortals, and can influence them as any overwhelmingly powerful figure can. As you rise to Lesser godhood later on, you'll still be able to take actions on the First World without penalty, but need a follower to speak your will. At the high levels of Greater and Elder, you'll need these followers to even use your divine might upon the world. Note that this does not restict you going to or acting upon other planes.

You can shape mortals how you wish as long as it flows into the story, but be prepared for others to do the same, and for some mortals to just not give a damn (or at least I doubt, without some sort of mind control or serious isolation, that all humans or most sentient life will be united under a single cause).

While this might not help, I'll put the post I made when creating 'humans' in another game here.

7. Well, it's a cooperative story-telling game, not meant to be much of a brawl between players. Personally I'm just happy to read through what is created. Make your own goals, though please keep the other players goals also in mind, cooperation in this can lead to good results.
    8. Well, mortals defiantly don't have the power to kill a god (that takes a lot of violence, time, and AP), so mortals would probably have to target other mortals. Does not mean they cannot ruin Eviltor-The Eater of Puppies plans for the week. They can do... whatever they can do with their innate skills/powers and societal concepts. Dragons burn down human villages, humans kill kobolds, and kobolds betray dragons. The cycle of violence life continues.

Hope this helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Demfro View Post
    Name: Amrak, Lord of Vengeance, The Ever-watchful.
    Player Name: Demfro
    Domains (Portfolios): Law (Justice), Luck (Karma)
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Symbol(s): A Sword on a blank coin, one half sky blue, the other half blood red.

Appearance: Amrak is a large imposing figure with darkness surrounding his eyes, when seen by someone with good karma they see someone of their own race inside the armor, when seen by those with bad karma, red eyes glow from within the darkness. dressed head to toe in silver platemail adorned with a cape that on one side is tattered and covered with blood, while the other is clean and perfectly pristine. He carries a greatsword with red and blue coloring on the two sides of it. The red side sharp and covered with blood, the blue side blunt to the point where it would make a better club than a made, anyone 'knighted' by this side receives good karma.

Personality: Amrak is a very variable god in terms of personality, he will treat those that treat him with kindness will find the same generosity in him, those that treat him with disrespect will get no respect in return. He likes to act as though he is in charge, although he will take advice from other gods and even sometimes powerful mortals on his actions. Though don't expect to change his mind on what is and is not right any time soon, unless you have a very good argument.
    Dogma: "All will get what they deserve, for better or for worse." His followers must uphold this at all times, either by taking notes of sinners and good-doers and delivering it to the church, or by personally providing punishment, the former is preferred by the god so he and/or his disciples can make sure sinners get exactly what they deserve instead of being killed for something when they otherwise were a good person. Though he understands not everyone can bring themselves to stand by and watch crime being committed.
    Creations:​ None yet.

Sorry about the drastic change but for some reason I completely forgot good karma existed and so I kind of just made the first version of my Amrak specifically to punish evil-doers instead of doing that as well as helping the good people.

I like him, but I have one major issue: What is good/bad karma? The only way I can approve this is if karma is how much Amrak likes you, since the game starts with no concepts above that which pre-fire stone age people would have. However, I don't mind you codifying Amrak's will into a concept like karma right away as long as it does not ham-string others more than a concept usually does. If you can accept that, this is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    I like him, but I have one major issue: What is good/bad karma? The only way I can approve this is if karma is how much Amrak likes you, since the game starts with no concepts above that which pre-fire stone age people would have. However, I don't mind you codifying Amrak's will into a concept like karma right away as long as it does not ham-string others more than a concept usually does. If you can accept that, this is approved.
    I'm inferring from this something along the lines of "if you begin as a god of x, then your first acts should be to establish x in the world." So Ephine is the goddess of rivers. There aren't any rivers (or water?) in the world at the beginning. If Ephine's character is going to make any sense, she should be making rivers pretty much immediately.
    For Amrak, to be a god of karma, there has to be karma (in the systems terms, this would be a concept). So his first order of business should be to create the concept of karma (perhaps by creating the mundane concept of "causing harm or benefit to others," then an advanced concept of "if you harm others, expect harm; if you benefit others, expect benefits.") This doesn't create a force in the world (Amrak enforces this through his actions), but there is something in the world to point to and say "this is Amrak's thing." Other benefits would be similar to creating the wheel and then engineering. Societies which employ the concept have an advantage (such as having more cooperative citizens and lower crime).

Am I capturing how the system works right?
    Last edited by Boethius; 03-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
    I'm inferring from this something along the lines of "if you begin as a god of x, then your first acts should be to establish x in the world." So Ephine is the goddess of rivers. There aren't any rivers (or water?) in the world at the beginning. If Ephine's character is going to make any sense, she should be making rivers pretty much immediately.
    For Amrak, to be a god of karma, there has to be karma (in the systems terms, this would be a concept). So his first order of business should be to create the concept of karma (perhaps by creating the mundane concept of "causing harm or benefit to others," then an advanced concept of "if you harm others, expect harm; if you benefit others, expect benefits.") This doesn't create a force in the world (Amrak enforces this through his actions), but there is something in the world to point to and say "this is Amrak's thing."

Am I capturing how the system works right?
    Eh, essentially. It'd be weird if a god of volcanos started his career by making nothing by forests. Having a goddess of rivers around makes be believe they will be making at least one river before they move onto other things. Gods of more vague things, like say Protection, might have an easier time avoiding this sort of obligation I believe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm concerned about karma that acts as a mystical all-judging force that others can see, rather than say rivers, because it's something that can get out of hand way easier than normal mundane things.

Fate, Time, Destiny, Luck (which Amrak's karma lies under), Knowledge, Mind-Reading/Controlling all these things have a bad rep with the vet's I used to play with, as these things can easily be used to control other characters or become all-knowing, and I guess I'm cautious of those things as well now.

I still approve of Amrak, I'm just stating why I'm a bit cautious. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 03-29-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast