Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Owl and Vulwin: Sunday, August 13, 1852

"To be honest, I'm rather bored," Owl replies with a small grin. "I'd be glad to help, if I can."

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

"What a kind young lady you are." The ratfolk returns your grin, then clears his throat and leans forward a little more. He lowers his voice to a barely audible whisper.

"Here's the long and short of it. My name is Eshan of Jaraad. As you've probably noticed, I'm a graduate student at this fine academy. I'm on my second year of my big project: a train engine powered by water. Just plain water, nothing else. Well, my advisor, Doctor Bianchi, allowed me to borrow an item of his that he thought might help me. It was a little stone that could make anything it comes in contact with more powerful. And it's been doing wonders for my research. It's really amazing."

"Last week I decided to take a teeny tiny break from my research. I worked right through the summer holidays, so I thought I deserved a night off. So I went out to town for some fun and I'm afraid I got... well, blackout drunk. I remember going into a pub and having a couple drinks, then it was suddenly daylight and I was lying under a table and a man told me I'd gambled away the stone to him. He said he'd sell it back to me for a thousand gold. I don't have that kind of money! I've barely got five hundred to my name! I've been trying to pawn off some of my possessions to make up the difference, but I haven't had any luck."

Eshan pauses for a moment, wiping a bead of sweat from his brow, before continuing.

"Doctor Bianchi expects the stone back in two weeks and I know I won't be able to get the money for it even I take some amazing externships, and I think I should just... take the stone back. Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not a thief! It's just that I don't remember doing any gambling at all, and I'm beginning to think this whole thing was just a con of some sort. If he really did win it fair and square then I'll just tell Doctor Bianchi what happened and surrender myself to his mercy. But if the stone was stolen, well, I won't have any qualms about going out and stealing it back. I would investigate myself, but the man knows my face. I don't want to attract his attention by asking too many questions. If a complete stranger were to do some digging, though... I'd be willing to compensate you, of course. I'll give you a hundred gold if you can just find out what really happened last Saturday. But you can't let any of the teachers find out. I don't want word getting back to Dr. Bianchi about me losing the stone. He would be furious!"

"Who has the stone?" Owl asks. "Had you ever seen him before? How well are you known at the pub you went to? Do you frequently gamble when you drink? What does this stone look like?" Question after question spill forth as Owl tries to get all the information possible.

------------

Eshan waits patiently for you to finish all your questions before he begins answering.

"The stone is round, 4.4 centimeters in diameter, smooth and white. Its surface is covered in miniscule golden runes. The man who has it is named Ricardo, and I don't know his surname. He's a tall Corocan man with tanned flesh and black hair and green eyes. I'd only met him a few times before, at The Tortoise Shell. That's where I lost the stone. We'd gambled once when I was a little tipsy, but I normally make a point not to do it when I'm very drunk. That's why I find it so difficult to believe I would have gotten sloshed and gambled away something so valuable. Anyways, I'm not too awfully well known at the Tortoise. I go there maybe every couple of months, only I hadn't been there at all over the summer because I was making a big breakthrough with my work. But the bartender, Kumar, knows me well enough. He knows my name and usual order, anyways, and that's what really matters."
    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 03-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.

"One last question," Owl says. "What is your usual order?"

------------

"My usual order?" Eshan says. "It's a big plate of cheese samosas and a couple glasses of pinot noir. Sometimes three or four glasses, if I'm in a celebratory mood. I... er... was in a celebratory mood the night I lost the stone."

"Obviously," Owl comments dryly. "Well, that should be enough information for me to get started. Where can I find you later?"

------------

"I'll probably be stress eating in my room for the rest of the day, so you could... no, wait, you younger students aren't allowed in the graduate student dormitories. I suppose I can wait for you in Laboratory Number Eighteen here in the school building. I'll try to work on my project in the mean time. Thank you so much for agreeing to help me."

"Lab 18," Owl confirms. "I'll see you later, then." With a nod she leaves the table, careful to return the book she was reading before exiting the library. She immediately starts looking for her classmates with whom she worked yesterday. If she finds no one within half an hour, she will head into town alone.

------------

You head out to find your classmates and soon pass a large room, two hundred by two hundred feet, with a sign on the door labeled "Simulator". Through the big glass window by the door, you can see Dorsard lying on the black and white floor with a couple bloody gashes on his chest. A mechanical man with a suit and mustache is standing over him and seems to be speaking to him.
    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 03-27-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast