Page 134 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1553

Thread: Chapter Three: Another One Bites the Dust

  1. #1331
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Old Blakely thrusts the folded paper in his hand at Ulvenn. "Your, ah, master's reply. To my contact spell, like you asked?" He looks confounded, as though he had not expected a response at all.


  2. #1332
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bariloche, Argentina
    Posts
    1,489
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Lucianna finds the theatrics very weird "Speaker Tammerhawk fought alongside us. Whatever his ultimate goal, he helped save city. Surrounded as you are by corpses, it calls my attention that you find a spell so offensive. Do I smell the stench of fear or it's just that the bodies vacated themselves? Blackey, wasn't it?" Agneyasta also judges him, but silently.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive L - (1d20) (2) [2]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive A - (1d20+3) (2) [5]

    "Now, about the books, perhaps... Perhaps we may want to have a look at them later... For now, let's just eat. We are alive. I'll go get Korman and Mak. Then I'll join you all at the Pub- Publican House."


  3. #1333
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Tagger View Post
    Flint jumps, weapons in hands "what in the hells!" he shouts at the impetious wizard "warn us next time" Flint mutters angrily before sliding his weapons back. Flint shrugs to the much less dramatic sternshard "wizards and I don't get along very well, I wouldn't mind swapping stories with the publican's"

    Blakely does his best to hide his astonishment at how speedily the rough youth readied his daggers, sopping and exhausted as he appeared. Like he willed them into his hands at the speed of thought. His eyes dart to the gutted shark-man, a lumbering brute he now understands never stood a chance. At their current proximity, neither would a wizard, and is that what the youth meant by 'wizards and I don't get along' perchance?

    “I am a respected elder wizard accustomed to the company of my peers, who trust me implicitly and use magic casually and constantly,” he says by way of excusing himself, just managing to refrain from calling the speaker ‘boy.’

    No sense in needling a man with a quick temper and capable hands, especially one who just helped save this city from ruin.

  4. #1334
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    Lucianna finds the theatrics very weird "Speaker Tammerhawk fought alongside us. Whatever his ultimate goal, he helped save city. Surrounded as you are by corpses, it calls my attention that you find a spell so offensive. Do I smell the stench of fear or it's just that the bodies vacated themselves? Blackey, wasn't it?" Agneyasta also judges him, but silently.

    "Now, about the books, perhaps... Perhaps we may want to have a look at them later... For now, let's just eat. We are alive. I'll go get Korman and Mak. Then I'll join you all at the Pub- Publican House."

    The doughy old wizard goes stiff with affront, and color floods his pale cheeks, but he considers his response carefully in light of how formidable this motley crew surrounded by corpses must be. "I am Cyphermage Argentus Blakely, madam." Before the night was out his brethren would probably elect him the new Speaker, but it would be presumptuous and probably pointless to assert himself further with that important title now.

    His next look at the former Speaker of Cypher Lodge Tammerhawk is openly anguished as much as angry. "Elias Tammerhawk deceived and betrayed this city for years before he helped save it. There have been assassinations, disappearances, and the source of the shadow emissaries committing unspeakable treacheries was unknown. If it became known now, it would irreparably tarnish the reputation of our scholarly and benevolent lodge. The Overlord would be justified in exiling us all for not keeping our most senior member in check. So yes, I am disgusted beyond words at how he put his soul and our peaceful academic brotherhood at risk for his own dark and selfish ambitions."

    His eyes shift to the sea hag and her brutes, big and small. "As to these other corpses you seem to think I should feel compassion for? To me they are savages and conquerors without conscience who could not be reasoned with or much longer placated. Therefore their deaths were necessary before our town suffered another, bigger massacre than before."

    He inhales deeply and regards Lucianna with renewed calm. "I had nothing to do with these deaths, unlike you. If you are feeling guilt you must unburden, may I suggest that is the purview of a priest. Now, would there be any objection to my taking Mr. Tammerhawk's body and possessions back to the Lodge?" He steps closer to the Shoanti's body with his hands folded.





    OOC:

    @Alcazar: Sense Motives 5 or lower

    Blakely comes across a bit self-important and prickly and cold and definitely sees things in black and white, but mostly he has the air of a stuffy academic who doesn't get out or interact with non-wizards much. He seems to think his advanced age, achievements of a high level of arcana, and exalted local reputation should forestall any questions of his motive or character. But the party doesn't know him, so he's stuck asserting to them by words alone that he's a moral and upstanding citizen who does nothing carelessly or clumsily and has only the city's best interests at heart.

    **Ulvenn has met Blakely before, and the above opinion is consistent of what Ulvenn's mentor thought of Blakely, from whom he occasionally stole (or rather, had Ulvenn steal).
    Last edited by magrat4; 06-18-2019 at 07:58 PM.

  5. #1335
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bariloche, Argentina
    Posts
    1,489
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Lucianna finds Blakely's response off again, and her thought processes make the mental equivalent of a shrug. She was thinking of disgust or maybe the our inevitable confrontation with our own mortality when seeing a dead person. "Blakely. Sorry about that. We'll take the acid staff, though. I'll go fetch a friend we left behind... See you at the Pub-lican House. Coming, Agni?"

    "Always curious about your friends and acquaintance, pati." Fire can be warm too.


  6. #1336

    Default

    Flint shook his head "You might be comfortable drawing lighting from the sky on a whim, but I am not one of your little school boy friends, keep the magic to where it is necessary, right now, it isn't" turning back to his friends "are we ready to leave?"
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 06-19-2019 at 07:16 AM.

  7. #1337

    Default

    Ulvenn's grip moves quickly to Remembrance and Retribution as Blakely throws lightning in dramatic fashion and is rewarded with a pang of phantom pain as he touches the shattered blade's hilt. He twitches his hand away as if it had been struck by the lightning... but he couldn't become distracted by it yet.


    Then before Ulvenn recovered his wits Blakely has a piece of paper in his face, "He is not my... Nevermind," he takes the note and reads it over quickly and chuckles with a quick upward glance at the efreeti at the part about the flask. He would have to share this with the others... 'but perhaps later,' he thinks as his stomach grumbles again and he takes another bite of the hunk of cheese he was sharing with the small dragon.


    "This spear?" Ulvenn says waving the pointing blade in the air, "I'm with Luci on this, let's catch some food at the Publican House. We can clean up the tower and get contracts done tomorrow."


    ((Strictly speaking I never had it confirmed that Ulvenn retrieved the spear, but I did post it))


  8. #1338
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    "Blakely. Sorry about that. We'll take the acid staff, though."

    He waves a hand of acquiescence when Lucianna claims the Staff of Vitriol---nasty combat magic that, maiming where it doesn't kill, and who in his Lodge would want such responsibility now the hag's threat is ended? Blakely's tone becomes markedly more polite in response to her apology. "No offense taken, madam. Riddleport is my home now and you have saved it. My Lodge will come up with a suitable reward for your heroism this night. Perhaps one of you would come by tomorrow? We will also grant you free access the Lodge's library if you wish? And we can restore the magic in that stave, free of charge."


    "You might be comfortable drawing lighting from the sky on a whim, but I am not one of your little school boy friends, keep the magic to where it is necessary, right now, it isn't" turning back to his friends "are we ready to leave?"
    The mage's manner arches in tandem with his rising eyebrows. "The necessity of destroying that cursed vessel expediently as possible is a matter of opinion," Blakely objects. "Greater men than you have faced the temptation of that flask and fallen prey. If you had not used its fiendish magic yourself, you might have unwittingly sold it to someone who would." He nods as though this closes the matter.


    "This spear?" Ulvenn says waving the pointing blade in the air.
    [GM note: Ulvenn retrieved the +1 human bane spear without incident, I must have forgotten to say that.]

    "The one specially made for killin' humans?" Sternshard asks, after a moment's examination through magesight. "Whut of it?"

    "What of it?" Blakely echoes, confused. "That was not Mr. Tammerhawk's. Now, it has been a long night, and I prefer to retire to give our former Lodge member a proper burial."

    [Assuming no further conversation with Blakely, the following happens...]

    Since nobody objects, the cyphermage touches Tammerhawk's shoulder and utters a word that transports the body away with him with a loud POP!

    "Good riddance," Commander Sternshard mutters. He gestures at the sahaguins' bodies and Ishareen's and Ianthe's. "Ah'll meet the lot o' ye at the Publican House right after Ah give these ugly poxes a proper burial at sea."


    After they've gathered up their spoils (and Flint re-claims his sand-buried fire trap), a large blue-green sea serpent rears her head out of the waves illuminated by the still-active daylight spell. Sternshard and Ott the halfling both wave to her in friendly fashion. The party deduces this is the sea creature mentioned earlier that fought on the side of Riddleport against the hag's army.



    She angles her head right at Ulvenn. "MY INN LIES IN RUINS. BURNED. YOU MUST FIND OTHER LODGINGS, SON OF THE VÁGR FEIGR."

    In no way does the creature resemble Margaux McKree (the dwarf druid proprietress of the discreet blue-roofed inn whose sign proclaims 'SEA SERPENTS WELCOME') but by her words that is the identify she claims. What is more surprising is the manner in which she just addressed him...







    OOC:


    Tomorrow's post will move you all to the Publican House (tavern and a temple to Cayden Cailean---no cyphermages allowed).
    Last edited by magrat4; 06-21-2019 at 12:35 AM.

  9. #1339
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Before pub

    Lieven Ott promises to have a feast ready and waiting for them at the Publican House before Lucianna and Agni go off by themselves looking for Korman the Shoanti-half elf bowmaster and his worg companion Mak. Flying promises to make the task go more quickly, even with the half-djinn having to give the halfling a ride on her back when the flying magic on her new shoes runs out.

    But instead of the dutiful and stoic ranger they are flagged down by his old friend, a tiefling Sarenrite priestess called Yasmin. Lucianna endures her thanks for fighting for Riddleport and asks if she's seen Korman recently. The answer is unexpected---that Korman and Mak (and his old friends Kwava and his hawk Gan) have left Riddleport together without forewarning or much explanation.



    Lucianna and Agni have little choice but to accept the scant offering and explanation and head to the Publican House.
    Last edited by magrat4; 06-21-2019 at 12:02 AM.

  10. #1340
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Publican House

    Word of the Heroes of Harmony and Chaos' heroic deeds at Memnok's Tower and the surrounding shore spreads fast and they are greeted by a gauntlet of grateful citizens as they enter the Publican House.



    Inside (much as it had been for a handful of them in Harmony, after the necromancer's zombie army's defeat), the heroes have their own table of honor laden with sumptuous platters of meats and breads and fruits and cheeses and pitchers of ale and mead. The mood all around them is celebratory, with many toasts shouted toward their tables. Any coin they try to offer the servers is cheerfully refused.




    Cheermeister and head "soaker" (priest of Cayden) Arnando Rolf himself, the proprietor, takes their orders if they run out of anything or desire some delicacy not on offer.

    Hunger drives them to dig in quickly and a familiar satisfaction courses through those of them who have partaken of blessed magical feasts before. The food not only nourishes their bodies but drives out aches and disease and corrupt magics, and fortifies them against terror and future wounds. [GAME TERMS: heroes' feast spell, you must eat for one hour, see OOC for benefits.]

    There are plenty of ears eager for a recounting of their harrowing adventures, but Rolf proves more than capable of keeping excited townsfolk at bay when any of them indicate they need a little space and peace.

    Ulvenn's sharp eyes note that a few of the local crimelords are in attendance, or at least their higher ranking associates are---with the exception of the ex-Shadowlord Tammerhawk's cyphermages, or Boss Croat or his half-orcs.

    Afer they've had some time to tuck in, Commandant Anton Mescher (Overlord of the whole city Gaston Cromarcky's right hand man, and Head Warden of Riddleport's garrisona and prison nicknamed Shoreleave) pulls a stool up to their table.

    Mescher speaks in a husky voice heavily accented in *Galtan (*French). "Something strange to the extreme happened at my prison this day. A half-orc crimelord and two dozen of his hushmen and illegal drug chemists turned themselves in. Then they depleted my ink and paper stocks writing confessions nobody had to ask for. Their fortress my officers find abandoned and the site of several fires, including some which destroy all their dangerous wares. This seems to me some kind of miracle. And you seem to me the only people in this port who are somewhat new and miraculous. Could any of you enlighten me about this...miracle?"

    He watches their expressions carefully with an interrogator's steely eyes, though there's a slant of amusement to his mouth. [GAME TERMS: He will make a Sense Motive check.]

    OOC:

    If you want to talk to anyone (or any group) in particular in town, make a Perception check for that person or some representative?

    Last edited by magrat4; 06-21-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •