Page 145 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1513

Thread: Chapter Three: Another One Bites the Dust

Default Ulvenn Solo at Seven Veils

Pamodae nods her approval when Ulvenn stows his weapons and shows further deference and good intentions with his mild tone.

She makes an amused sound at his admission he worried the burglar was after "his prize" and removes a binder from her bookshelf titled Immorality Plays for Priests on Their Deathbeds Volume 3. After a quick peek inside she interjects, "It is safe. If you cooper-ate fully with me, we may proceed with the arrange-ment dis-cussed earli-er."

Her manner is imperious yet patient as he describes the ransacking before he entered her chamber, and the vandal's apparent escape via teleportation after he wounded them. "As pleas-ure is my busi-ness, busi-ness is always good," she says slyly. "Let us not fret the cost of a new door. The invisibili-ty while working behind a closed door is interes-ting...but perhaps not strange if this per-son anticipa-ted I would have a guard, as they should."

At his comment "Once you are convinced of my innocence I would like to attempt to track them..." she smirks. "No need for tracking. I will take a sample of the blood you spilled, and the blood from this message. I will hire a profession-al to scry for our thief until that thief is found, and send mercena-ries for retrie-val. Thank you for your assis-tance in collec-ting the first sam-ple. You took more than blood from Ishareen and conclu-ded our contract faster than I dreamed possi-ble. Perhaps one of the mercenar-ies I send will be you."

She looks thoughtful when he speculates the "Devil's warning" is but a cover-up and claims to have seen the real vigilante's work closely enough to detect an impostor (or perhaps a copycat). "Yes, congratula-tions on your party's acquisi-tion of Fort Gnash from our grate-ful and gener-ous Over-lord," she says casually. "I supp-ose he is the sort of 'hands-off' gover-nor who would bequeath you the seized proper-ty 'as is,' as they say. That mess-age the Devil left Croat in his office scared him out of busi-ness. I do not frighten so easi-ly. I am less sure than you are that we are not dealing with the same Devil, however. Fire was used in the fortress as well and the Devil targe-ted the office specifical-ly and smashed what he could, as he did here."

It's news to Ulvenn that he and Flint and Luci were given ownership of Croat's abandoned fortress by Overlord Cromarcky as a reward for saving the city.

When he concludes his remarks with a "caution" to her, Pamodae's eyes and voice turn harsh. "I would not norma-lly leave my office in my golem's care without first warding it very secure-ly, but that fire was an effici-ent diver-sion and I reac-ted hasti-ly. Howe-ver, I have not risen to my current posi-tion of influ-ence by making the same mis-takes twice, I assure you. Now I need you to tell me every-thing you remember, any-thing this thief gave away while in the room with you. Did you hear this person speak? If so, do you recall their voice, or their words? Mascu-line or femi-nine, high voice or low, very old or very young, an accent, any detail at all?"

[LEAVING BLANK FOR ULVENN'S RESPONSE.]

Far as Ulvenn can tell, their conversation is going quite well. Crimelord Pamodae might not only sell him the special copy of Larazod with Rhodal's play inside it, but may also hire him to catch the intruder. But he must ask himself if that is truly what he wants, whether the timing is right...

OOC:

Roll a Persuasion check (and make appropriate dialogue) IF you really want the job of tracking the thief?

Also, not sure if you keep saying "them" to obfuscate on purpose because you might play one side against the other? Because you bumped into a woman and heard a woman's voice, albeit a deep one, and it was a voice you'd heard before but you couldn't place it. Also the only rival you know about for the play is female--Marween the half-orc temple prostitute.

Ulvenn Sense Motive vs vandal (22 beats her 17)

Ulvenn Persuasion (32 beats Pamodae's 26) success, she does not detect his omissions or evasions.

Ulvenn Spellcraft (9+4 background competency bonus as wizard's apprentice =13, insufficient to ID spell) However, he is pretty sure she activated a magic item using the word that sounded like "Joo-HUH-koh."

Ulvenn Perception 26 to hear the golem's halt command from Pamodae, success. Pronunciation "eye-ray-nay."
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-13-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Default Flint at Riddleport Market

"I am still getting used to being the village hero" Flint jokes
    At the word "hero," Kwava produces a silver badge with an emerald leaf on it, the very one Flint had recovered from Croat's secret stash. There is now Elvish writing scrawled onto the back. "Speaking of being a hero, please take this. Elven smiths will know you as me'nallan, true friends of our People when you show them this. They will reward each of you with an item of our special mithral, a suit of armor or shield or a blade."

"speaking of... you don't know what happened with korman do you? he seems to have disappeared, I haven't heard from him and I worry... I know he had some unfinished business a few towns back.... though I am sure he is just waiting for us back at the orphanage"
    Kwava shakes his head. "You will not find Korman at the orphan mission. He has begun a ritual of purification and meditation and cannot be disturbed. I am surprised he did not tell you himself. Korman has decided to return with me to Mierani Forest and join the Shin'Rakorath. As the only one among you with elven blood, he is the only one who would be welcomed there. Even me'nallan would only be tolerated, and not for long. It is a high honor to protect our People as only the Shin'Rakorath can. Korman has lived too long among humans and is ready to return to his roots you might say."

"hang on... i have a weird question to ask" Flint purses his lips "you are a full blooded elf, right? uh... basically I need a favor"
    The elf makes sure the man accepts the silver badge before replying. "Your band saved me from a fate worse than death, a life as a..." He struggles with the words, or perhaps a translation, thinking of how the alien creature in the wizard's tower took over his body. "Life as a...mask that some creature can put on and remove as often as it wishes. Within reason I will help you in every way I can. I only hope it does not interfere with our plans to leave Riddleport tomorrow."
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-13-2019 at 03:22 AM.

At the word "hero," Kwava produces a silver badge with an emerald leaf on it, the very one Flint had recovered from Croat's secret stash. There is now Elvish writing scrawled onto the back. "Speaking of being a hero, please take this. Elven smiths will know you as me'nallan, true friends of our People when you show them this. They will reward each of you with an item of our special mithral, a suit of armor or shield or a blade."
    Flint slowly thinks of silver tongue, rent down the middle, barely held together inside of his sheeth "I don't suppose they would be willing to reforge a blade?" Flint asks curiously "but you are too kind, I am very grateful, and if you need anything, look me up, Ill help if I can... a friend of korman is a friend of mine"

Kwava shakes his head. "You will not find Korman at the orphan mission. He has begun a ritual of purification and meditation and cannot be disturbed. I am surprised he did not tell you himself. Korman has decided to return with me to Mierani Forest and join the Shin'Rakorath. As the only one among you with elven blood, he is the only one who would be welcomed there. Even me'nallan would only be tolerated, and not for long. It is a high honor to protect our People as only the Shin'Rakorath can. Korman has lived too long among humans and is ready to return to his roots you might say."
    Flint lets out a disappointed sigh, but nevertheless he shrugs "I am sad he didn't find time to say good bye... tell him that his friends will miss him dearly, and that he will always be welcome to travel with us again"

The elf makes sure the man accepts the silver badge before replying. "Your band saved me from a fate worse than death, a life as a..." He struggles with the words, or perhaps a translation, thinking of how the alien creature in the wizard's tower took over his body. "Life as a...mask that some creature can put on and remove as often as it wishes. Within reason I will help you in every way I can. I only hope it does not interfere with our plans to leave Riddleport tomorrow."
    "I am not sure how much korman has told you about our travels... but we have been using a series of portals that can only open with a magic word and the presence of elven blood... since korman has left us, I don't have that anymore... all I need from you is a couple drops of your blood in each of these" showing off his special made vials "all you need to do is prick your finger" Flint smiles confidently, knowing kwava doesn't really know him as anything more than Korman's friend

(I guess I missed the part where I identified the voice as being female, perhaps I missed it as I was concerned more about the spoiler I was 1 point from getting to view T.T)

Ulvenn relaxes further when Pamodae seems to believe him... and that he caught the golem's command word... There's a decent chance that it would give him just enough time to escape if things turned south again. Ulvenn explains a little further, "Although invisible they seemed to doubt that I would inspect them further, giving me an idea that they either lack caution or supposed that I would seek a spellcaster commanding an invisible servant rather than an invisible vandal. As to their voice, It was that of a woman, although deeper than most... I know I've heard the voice before but I can't quite place it... Unfortunately that doesn't narrow it down much. Although she tried to play the role of the devil, it felt rehearsed... Maybe the devil has converted some sparrows to spread a message, but I find that unlikely."

"As for helping you to track them down, it is certainly something that I could do..." 'Flint will probably want to know who is using his moniker... and if she IS after the play she may have information...' "You know of course that there are few better for this job. I can count on one hand the number of times a specific quarry has truly managed to escape the Wolf, and with your scrying magic that truly seals the hare's fate," This was of course a lie, Ulvenn was a marvelous tracker, but even the best lose a scent... But it makes for a good sales line of course. Pamodae likely new this and Ulvenn's tone certainly betrayed a slight amount of bravado, implying that he was just upselling his skills to remind her of what his talents are specialized for.

When Pamodae notes that he had been gifted a fort along with the others he considered whether or not to try to keep appearances or not... and Pamodae is a dealer in information... the more she knows the more she can sell to an interested party, 'A while ago I would've just made sure she was unnecessary and finished her quietly...' but now the thought makes him uncomfortable, 'Little monkey and the horned child are rubbing off on me...' But his mind quickly flickers back to Siri... He shakes his head slightly to clear is thoughts and chooses to avoid the topic. Eventually the Brotherhood would know if they didn't already, nothing to do for that at this point.

"However, before we continue on discussions of catching this vandal... I would love to obtain that play, and if it is what the vandal was after it would do you well to be rid of it," he adds with a ironic smile, trying to ensure that she takes it as a joke rather than a threat.

Default Flint in Riddleport Market

"I don't suppose they would be willing to reforge a blade?" Flint asks curiously.
    Kwava hesitates. "I am no smith, I do not know. But I do know my gift to your party is meant to be traded for something of elven mithral, like a brand new blade. Not for a favor of your choosing. For other services you will have to pay the price it is worth."

Flint lets out a disappointed sigh, but nevertheless he shrugs "I am sad Korman didn't find time to say good bye... tell him that his friends will miss him dearly, and that he will always be welcome to travel with us again."
    The elf nods in understanding but his solemn gaze indicates he does not believe Flint should hold out this hope.

"I am not sure how much korman has told you about our travels... but we have been using a series of portals that can only open with a magic word and the presence of elven blood... since korman has left us, I don't have that anymore... all I need from you is a couple drops of your blood in each of these" showing off his special made vials "all you need to do is prick your finger" Flint smiles confidently, knowing kwava doesn't really know him as anything more than Korman's friend
    "The auidara of old!" Kwava whispers. "Truly one of the People counted you me'nallan before we even met, if you know the secret of our portals that span the world."

Bel's face comes to mind, smile stretching from her lips to her green eyes which were made the more vibrant when framed by her red hair. Another friend who fought beside him, yet abandoned their party before Flint's journey home was complete. Like Thurok, or Skye, or Leticia, or Mammon, or Hakon. And now Korman.

Kwava rolls up this sleeve of his tunic. "It is deep trust you are asking, to travel our ways without a representative of our People present. But I do not believe you will misuse them to do harm to innocents. I will not refuse you." He offers his arm, and when Flint uses a blade to make a cut, he uses his other hand to squeeze a few trickles into each bottle.

Gan the hawk cocks his head and opens his beak, looking puzzled.

When they are finished and the bottles stoppered, and the hawk soothed by a murmur from Kwava, the elf places a fist over his heart. His farewell is eloquent and heartfelt: "May the skies favor you and shadows fail to find you in unfriendly terrain. I shall never forget you. Please pass my parting words to your friends also?"

With a means through the elfgate to the Umbral Market secured, Flint is free to go where he pleases, perhaps catch up with one of his traveling companions.

Lucianna had said she would be Cypher Lodge, and Ulvenn should still be at the Seven Veils Temple where he went to collect a reward from the head priestess for the hag's bounty.

OOC:

Your move, don't know if you want to meet Ulvenn outside the Seven Veils or get inside...
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-15-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Default Ulvenn at Seven Veils

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    Ulvenn relaxes further when Pamodae seems to believe him...As to their voice, it was that of a woman, although deeper than most... I know I've heard the voice before but I can't quite place it... Unfortunately that doesn't narrow it down much. Although she tried to play the role of the devil, it felt rehearsed... Maybe the devil has converted some sparrows to spread a message, but I find that unlikely."
    "A woman..." Pamodae repeats, staring at the bloody message on the wall. She draws in a sharp breath at an unpleasant thought. "It is a pity you cannot remem-ber more, like what she said just before she vanished." Then she crosses to her desk and pulls a camouflaged bell cord, probably to summon a servant.

"As for helping you to track them down...You know of course that there are few better for this job. I can count on one hand the number of times a specific quarry has truly managed to escape the Wolf, and with your scrying magic that truly seals the hare's fate."

Shorafa Pamodae grins and strides back to him. "Indeed your ruthless talents are obvi-ous. I told you of the Black Coil trio seeking a price on your head and Lady Siri's, and lo! Within twenty-four hours three Chelaxi-an corpses turn up at Greedy Smeed's boarded up townhouse, picked clean. Not that there was proof of your presence there." She winks.

This too is news to Ulvenn, who has not heard about Lucianna's and Liev's rooftop skirmish that took place before she came to Memnok's Tower. Pamodae wouldn't be telling him any of this if she weren't sure he was already privy to the information...or responsible for the deaths.

"Howe-ver, IF I offer you a contract for this vandal, say one thousand gold, I will want her brought to me alive."

"However, before we continue on discussions of catching this vandal... I would love to obtain that play, and if it is what the vandal was after it would do you well to be rid of it,"
    "Six thousand gold was our agreed price for The Trials of Larazod, though I cannot understand what makes my copy so valua-ble," Pamodae replies, tucking the binder against her ribs. She nods. "You may count out the coin on that table there."

A lean tiefling (like the priestess but perhaps only nineteen summers, with a shock of purple in her white-blonde hair) arrives and steps cautiously past the smashed door. She clutches the elbow of her other arm in her hand and keeps her eyes focused on the carpet. "You rang, ma'm?"

Ulvenn recognizes her as Lavender Lil, a petty thief who used to run around with one of the Vancaskerkin crime family, before they were permanently removed from Riddleport's power structure.

"Don some gloves and collect me a sample of the blood on my walls and carpet. Do not confuse the samples. A Diviner from the Lodge will arrive shortly to find the owner, and trace a teleport spell," the crimelord instructs.

As an aside to Ulvenn she adds, "The only problem with this sort of divina-tion is that it will take an hour to complete. Will you return then?" She holds up a hand suddenly. "On the other hand, if teleportation was used, it is the work of only a minute to trace where the vandal went. It is up to you if you wish to begin the chase without a confirma-tion of identi-ty?"

OOC:

Persuasion 33: yup, you get the play if you pay 6000 gp

@Zeros: Your choice. Wait an hour (and do other stuff in between), or start the hunt in about 15 minutes in-game time...

@GT: Flint CAN enter this scene immediately if he wishes.

Last edited by magrat4; 09-15-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Blog Entries

The halfling chooses to stay and learn as she would like to be there when Agni is freed.
    Quote Originally Posted by magrat4 View Post
    Anyone watching would observe Blakely's expressions changing rapidly from bewilderment to anger to anguish to understanding and back again.
    "Is everything alright? Will she-- Could you...?" She anxiously asks. Where would Samaritha be? Shouldn't she have saved some coin and asked her for some blood after helping her out? Why did she leave? Is she angry? Where's Mr Pitch? Where's the ranger? What if the veteran bard is just a kooky old man? She's so hungry right now. So hungry...

The halfling is fidgety.

Flint slowly stalks through the streets towards the seven veils. Three vials of precious elven blood hidden inside his pathfinder pouch. Meeting with Rafe the monk, Flint argues for a moment before producing a greatsword belonging to the sea witches favorite henchman.

Flint enters the room with Ulvenn and pamodae with a glib smirk, but as he beholds the room, his smile drops "what in the hells?" he ask, the room largely ransacked and a message exactly like the one he left for croat bar one word

Flint turns to Ulvenn his face contorting through a myriad of different emotions, confusions, accusation, bewilderment "how? who... did you?" flint asks confused, trying to figure out how the devil could be here, how someone could have left his own calling card. Funny... it wasn't so fun to be stolen from. Regaining some of his composure "so who is this devil person supposed to be? doesn't seem smart to threaten a powerful lord of riddle port like this?"

ooc
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollbluff - (d20+19) [38]

'Someone saved me some trouble...' Ulvenn thinks to himself, at once wishing he'd have time to and also knowing he would be unable to figure out what happened to them, '... Pamodae is very well connected, a great resource. Good to start building contacts again. She knows things around my own life before I do...' He suppresses a mild shudder of what that could imply.

Ulvenn is counting out coins for the play on Pamodae's desk when Flint enters the room. He finishes counting out the 6000 as Flint is regaining his composure. "The wolf is not this careless," he says in response to Flint's questions with a half seen smirk, "but even a wolf could mimic 'the Devil' better than whatever careless vandal is about." Subtly informing Flint that this was not his work. "And no, it isn't smart. She, the vandal, gave us at least two routes to her. We were just discussing whether we'd rather rush to track her or if we should wait to find her full identity first."

Default Lucianna at Cypher Lodge

The halfling chooses to stay and learn as she would like to be there when (if) Agni is freed.

Re-post:

Anyone watching (the legend lore divination) would observe Blakely's expressions changing rapidly from bewilderment to anger to anguish to understanding and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    "Is everything alright? Will she-- Could you...?" She anxiously asks.
    Speaker Blakely is unable to respond at all while he completes the divination spell that will teach him how Agneyasta was first entrapped in the iron flask.

It is hard not to fill the silence with her fears---and not just those regarding her ancestor.

Where would Samaritha be?
    Belatedly her memory supplies the answer---the half-elf cyphermage left a message for her at the Lodge saying she would be in her quarters at the Mysteria Inn.

Shouldn't she have saved some coin and asked her for some blood after helping her out? Why did she leave? Is she angry?
    It probably isn't too late to ask her for blood to open the elfgates...delicate and strange as the request might be. In her note Samaritha hadn't given an explanation for not waiting behind at the Lodge, nor any hint of her mood.

She had seemed awfully nervous (and a little defensive) about those magic items they had taken from the deceased's bedroom. Would Samaritha have dared analyze items of potentially dangerous necromancy without Lucianna or other aid present?

Where's Mr Pitch?
    The little shoulder perch she'd bought for the talking raven had been empty since the night she spent with Liev. Had Mr. Pitch abandoned her, or had something prevented him from seeking her at her new lodgings at the Publican House? Surely he hadn't been caught in the fire at McKree's Keep...?!

Where's the ranger?
    Korman's note of farewell had been so abrupt, so cryptic. Why was he abandoning their group before the mission to retrieve Rhodal's forbidden play was complete? And speaking of Rhodal...

What if the veteran bard is just a kooky old man?
    His health was so poor the bard believed he was near death...what if his mind were in equal decline? His play could be gibberish, not at all the threat to nations and religions everywhere that he claimed.

She's so hungry right now. So hungry...

The halfling is fidgety.
    After ten minutes Blakely comes out of his trance, gasping for breath. The blue glow fades from his eyes and he clutches his chest. "Poor child...punished for her parents' unforgivable sin of coupling with their people's most reviled sworn enemy, efreeti and djinn."

The wizard shakes his head. "I wish I had more uplifting knowledge to impart, my dear."

OOC:

Prognosis: getting the blood from an efreeti and a djinn (both Outsiders) will be difficult and will probably require you travel to where such creatures inhabit the Material Plane, Qadira. There also you can obtain Qadiran desert sand, but that's a harsh and dangerous environment.

In other words, there is no quick fix.

And, other downside, she will age rapidly when freed and will have to make a Fortitude save against Constitution loss that could kill her.
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-17-2019 at 03:35 AM.