Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School RPGing using Swords and Wizardry

Default Old School RPGing using Swords and Wizardry

Hello fellow TTWers! It has been roughly five years since I ran a game here on TTW, despite playing in far too many here over the same time period. I've been DMing over on MW in the interim, but it seems to me that it's about damn time I gave a little back to this great community and ran a game of my own. So, here we are. It's time to RPG like it's 1987.

I'm talking Swords and Wizardry rules, inspired by the original DnD books. I'm talking mapping out your own dungeon progress, so try not to get lost. I'm talking deadly encounters, so don't get too attached to those PCs of yours. I'm talking taverns, and evil wizards and giant rats. It's gonna be great! So c'mon, all. I've got the itch to DM and these S&W rules are the perfect counterbalance to all the PF and 5e I've been playing lately.

Here's what you need to know:

What system are you using? Swords and Wizardry. Check out the absolutely free rules and SRD here: http://www.d20swsrd.com/

What medium(s) are you using? PbP all the way.

How often will you require people to post? Daily is ideal. Once daily weekdays is just fine. Anything less, without an OOC heads up, isn't a good sign.

What kind of action(s) will be taken if a person does not post within the required time? First, I'll PM you. Then, I'll NPC you. Finally, I'll steal your PC, make him or her an NPC and likely make him or her turn into my unexpected big bad of the whole shebang. Or, ya know, I'll just have a dragon do the dirty work for me. Either way.

Any supplementary programs needed? None needed or allowed. But anything on the SRD linked above is fair game. Oh, and for what it's worth, we'll be using the ascending AC system, not the old descending, as I still have THAC0 nightmares now and then.

Players Needed: I'll run this with at least three PCs, but I'll take up to six. Please submit a short background and a MW character sheet if you're interested in joining in.

Starting level and wealth: PCs begin at level 1 and wealth is standard via the SRD.

Backgrounds: Feel free to write up a short background, but don't go crazy. A few details and maybe an ally and/or enemy are great, as they give me a hook or three, but anything beyond that is likely superfluous. These aren't destined heroes of old or foretold saviors; they're cannon fodder. Most won't live to level three and only the most famous of all will survive to the upper levels, so keep that in mind when designing and writing your characters. The only punishment for dying is losing your equipment, rolling up a new level one PC and rejoining the fray.

Setting: This story will take place in a city of my own creation called Greenspire. The city is on the southern tip of the smallest continent in the world of Kreatch. Depending on your PCs' choices, the entire adventure may stay localized in Greenspire or we may end up traipsing around the world and discovering it together as we go. This is truly a choose-your-own-adventure style of game with no railroading of any kind. Where you go and what you do (before you die of course) is up to you!

The beginning: This story begins where so many, many others have before - a tavern. The Whole Hog is known for seedy folken, full message boards, watery booze and the best friggin' spiced peppers and onions this side of the Multiverse. It's also where you lot meet. Annnnnd...go!

Accepted PCs:
    1. Tyrone
    2. Reynard
    3. Ubah
    4. Bastian
    5. Lucas

Forum Link: http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/...les-of-Kreatch
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 01-31-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Sounds like a good time. I'll check out the rules and see if they would take too much time to pick up. For the MW sheet, which option do you want us to use? I don't see a "Swords and Wizardy" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
    Sounds like a good time. I'll check out the rules and see if they would take too much time to pick up. For the MW sheet, which option do you want us to use? I don't see a "Swords and Wizardy" option.
    I would assume you use D&D basic since S&W is a recreation of 1e
    Last edited by Light; 01-30-2018 at 03:08 AM.

It's been a while since I put out a substantial post, tossed a character app towards anything, or had faith in myself to post consistently. I've been thinking about jumping back in for a little while though, so I figure it's time.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDown - (3d6) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollThe - (3d6) [6]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollLine - (3d6) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollWe - (3d6) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGo - (3d6) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGood - (3d6) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollLuck - (3d6) [13] - And I already rolled one too many attributes, what a fool
    Last edited by Gulith; 01-30-2018 at 03:50 AM.
    Why is chain mail a paladin's favorite type of armor? Because it's holy.

I think these are the last rolls I need? I'm a bit rusty on Basic/S&W.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollWealth - (3d6*10) [80]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHealth - (1d8+1) [6]
    Why is chain mail a paladin's favorite type of armor? Because it's holy.

Let's do it!
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStrength - (3d6) (4, 3, 2) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDexterity - (3d6) (4, 1, 4) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollConstitution - (3d6) (5, 2, 2) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollIntelligence - (3d6) (5, 4, 1) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollWisdom - (3d6) (4, 5, 2) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollCharisma - (3d6) (4, 1, 2) [7]

Light's right: the MW DnD Basic sheet ought to have everything you need for a S&W character.

Good to see some familiar faces! That's why I love TTW. It's been a long time, Gulith, so I'm glad to see you again and flattered that my game might be the one to drag you back into the PbP arena And glad to hear you're giving it a shot, Boethius, despite those rolls. Either your PC will overcome incredible adversity or he/she'll die a gruesome level one death super-soon. Either way, it's gonna be great. haha

I need to check the rules but I want to register interest.

I think I'll try rolling before I decide what to play as.
    Strength [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Dexterity [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Constitution [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Intelligence [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Wisdom [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Charisma [roll]3d6[/roll]
    Last edited by Truefang; 01-30-2018 at 11:13 AM.

I couldn't add the rolls to the last post so I'll try again.

Strength Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [11]
    Dexterity Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [13]
    Constitution Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [9]
    Intelligence Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [7]
    Wisdom Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [12]
    Charisma Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [13]

That isn't too bad. Thief would work if you're not willing to let me swap any of the stats around; I had one vague idea for a noble who was sent to study magic by her parents so I'd like to swap Dex and Int if that's allowed.
    Last edited by Truefang; 01-30-2018 at 11:16 AM.

So the Multiclassing has me a bit confused. For example, if I was to play a Dwarf Fighter/Thief, do I start with a level in each class (but only 1 HD) or do I pick one to start with and gain the other later? Do you gain XP for each class independently?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast