Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5e - Out of the Abyss Replacements Needed!

Default 5e - Out of the Abyss Replacements Needed!

Out of the Abyss

Looking for 2-3 replacements.

System: D&D 5e (using milestones instead of XP)
    Format: Play by post
    Posting requirements: Twice per week - more if possible. Frequent week-long posting
    gaps or an unannounced extended absence may result in removal from the game.
    Adventure duration: Written for levels 1-15, but we will likely end at a higher level than that,
    and I am open to following some of the potential adventure follow-ups/wrap-ups to get the characters solidly to level 20. This will definitely take at least one full year of IRL gaming time, probably several years.
    Adventure setting: Forgotten Realms, mostly in the Underdark beneath the Sword Coast

Completed applications:
    Light: Malbocco, half-orc fighter/barbarian. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1467459
    Midnyte: Narisdus Coluin, drow ranger. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1467129
    Matthan: Jimjar, deep gnome rogue. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1468106
    Kerilstrasz: Aurora Solanna, human cleric (life/grave hybrid). https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1302151
    ThePrettiestOrc: Bleddi, goblin rogue (assassin). https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1472575

Do you find standard adventures too easy and boring? Well, your days of looking for a challenge are over! In “Out of the Abyss,” nearly every last Demon Lord has been unleashed on that already-a-crazy-megadungeon known as the Underdark, and the crazy folks down there need your help to get these mother-lovin’ demons off this mother-lovin’ prime material plane!

Did I mention that the Underdark is crazy? The spreading influence of the Demon Lords certainly isn’t helping things. Your characters will probably go crazy a few times. Or die. Or both. You’ve fallen through the metaphorical looking glass into a dangerous, twisted Wonderland. This is a game of survival, and the odds are stacked against you.

The Current Party
    [PC] Tiefling fighter (eldritch knight)
    [PC] Tiefling wizard (illusion)
    [PC] Half-elf (drow) paladin (oath of the crown)
    [NPC] shield (mountain) dwarf scout - available to play!
    [NPC] svirfneblin spy - available to play!
    [NPC] quaggoth
    [NPC] kuo-toa pacifist
    [NPC] myconid sprout (may leave soon)

Applying:
    Due to the isolated nature of the campaign events, it may be easier story-wise for applicants to take over pre-existing characters. The options listed below are available to you, but you will not be penalized for creating a completely new character.

Unless the directions above for taking over an already existing character add or remove required components, a completed application will include:

1. The character's name, race, and class,
    2. A brief description of your character's backstory (which should include why or how he/she is in the Underdark, as well as a good reason for your character to want to get out of the Underdark).
    3. Any planned faction affiliations. (see below for further information about factions)
    4. A link to your MythWeavers character sheet, which should be correctly/completely filled out.
    5. The number of games you are currently running and/or playing in. (I want to make sure everybody gets a chance to have their D&D fix. This is not a primary consideration, but will play a role in selection if there are enough applicants.)

I'll be accepting applications through February 2.

How the game will run:

• Think of this campaign – especially the first 8-9 levels of it – as survival horror rather than simply gritty adventure. It is very sandbox-y (again, especially the first half of it). You will make choices that will have a direct impact on not just the story but also on your level of success and your ability to find food and supplies necessary to stay alive.
    • Combat will almost always be theater of the mind. I will post overview maps of major areas, and will post slow-reveals of dungeon maps as you explore them. Sometimes I may post close-ups of the dungeon maps to aid with visualizing combat space, but only in extremely tactical situations will I post battlemap images with combatant locations.
    • I will use clustered initiatives in any turn-based situation. All party members who have an initiative higher than the next enemy can act in any order, then the enemy/enemies will act, and then the next set of party members can take their turn in any order. This speeds up combat as we are not always waiting on specific individuals to post in a particular order.
    • You will likely be accompanied by (or leading) one or more NPCs for large portions of the campaign (if you can keep them alive). I may ask you to be in charge of one or more of these NPCs (especially for combat and exploration), though I reserve the right to take back over them at any point for any length of time for roleplaying/story reasons.
    • I have created a campaign log. It contains the knowledge you acquire over the course of the campaign about locations, monsters, NPCs, quests, the story, etc. You are as much responsible for providing information to put in it as I am – it will be bare minimum unless you add to it.

Last edited by Rellott; 01-27-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Let's go!

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (3, 1, 6, 6, 1, 4) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (2, 4, 6, 2) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (2, 4, 2, 2) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (4, 6, 6, 1, 3) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (3, 6, 4, 3) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (6, 4, 3, 5) [15]
    Edit: That's 80 Going for a cleric.
    Last edited by Berenion; 01-21-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Hey there..
    Currently only have Vala.

Prolly going for my own PC (no ideas yet.. we ll see).

One thing before we start..
    I joined this adventure once before but didn't went very far.
    In fact we were only able to..
    before they game stopped because of awol players.

So...
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll1 - (4d6rb3) (5, 4, 6, 6) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll2 - (4d6rb3) (4, 4, 5, 6) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll3 - (4d6rb3) (5, 5, 1, 4, 1, 3) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll4 - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 4, 5) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll5 - (4d6rb3) (3, 3, 6, 3) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll6 - (4d6rb3) (1, 3, 4, 3, 3) [10]

About magic items..
    that is from the official list or that list you once posted to one of our games? (forgettin the name right now)
    Last edited by Kerilstrasz; 01-21-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Default 5e - Out of the Abyss Replacements Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerilstrasz View Post
    Hey there..
    Currently only have Vala.

Prolly going for my own PC (no ideas yet.. we ll see).

One thing before we start..
    I joined this adventure once before but didn't went very far.
    In fact we were only able to..

About magic items..
    that is from the official list or that list you once posted to one of our games? (forgettin the name right now)
    We are significantly past that event, and your character wouldnít necessarily have experienced that unless you want them to (and it would have happened separately from the rest of the PCs) or you use one of the existing characters.

Maybe youíre thinking of the Sane Magic Item Prices list? Itís mostly about prices, and just has stuff from the DMG. Nothing special in it, and you likely canít afford much thatís not a potion even if you want to. Xanatharís Guide has quite a few more common magic items to choose from, if you want to take the 2 common magic items and donít want them to just be more potions of healing.

I might be interested in taking over the fighter Malbocco. Ill start reading the thread and see what I can come up with for a journal.

All my games are dying and I really want to actually play one of the WotC paths someday so I'm going to toss my hat in the ring with something.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 1 - (4d6rb3) (1, 4, 5, 3, 3) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 2 - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 4, 6) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 3 - (4d6rb3) (4, 1, 2, 4, 1, 6) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 4 - (4d6rb3) (4, 2, 2, 4) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 5 - (4d6rb3) (1, 1, 1, 5, 1, 6, 2, 6) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll 6 - (4d6rb3) (3, 2, 2, 1, 3) [8]

Here's my version of Malbocco. The journal entry is labelled as such. I only changed the feat choice to "Tough"

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1467459

Looks like you have lots of interest here, Rel, and Light's already got a nice version of Malbocco for you, who I'd thought about applying for. That said, if things quiet down and you're still short a warm body, I'd be happy to help out, as I've very much enjoyed taking over an existing PC in your Tyranny of Dragons campaign.

Eldeth seems like the one I'd want to play of the remaining options, as I'm a sucker for dwarves and always have been, but I'd also be willing to join in (and this would be weird, unconventional and entirely up to you) as the pacifist kuo-toa. Admittedly, the character would be almost entirely unhelpful in combat, but could play a healer role as needed. Still, I wouldn't be playing to character to be an equal, balanced party member; I'd be playing because I like you as a DM, I've never played this AP, I've never played a kuo-toa and, after more than twenty years of DnDing, I've surely never played a pacifist in the multiverse's largest dungeon crawl

If any of this sounds remotely interesting and/or helpful to you, Rel, shoot me a PM and I'll happily do whatever you need me to do. As I said above, I'd just be happy to be along for the ride, but I don't want to take any spots away from prospective players that have already rolled and begun building their apps for you, as I'm lucky enough to have a few ready-and-rolling PbP games going currently as is.
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 01-22-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast