Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (5e) A Midseason's Court

Default (5e) A Midseason's Court

A Midseason's Court

Devils have overtaken the Winter Court.

Auril the Queen of Air and Darkness was supplanted half a century ago by an archdevil named Luprex she summoned, having underestimated his power. As the monstrous overlord attends to his own plane, he has left his conquered territory in the hands of his Steward, a darkly-armored devil whose cruelty and military prowess have allowed him to tame the court's domain- for now.

Humiliated and enraged, Auril has taken increasingly aggressive steps to regain her former place. Chief among the possessions denied to her is the Black Diamond, a gem of incredible size and beauty possessing magical properties beyond mortal ken. Her followers grow more anxious and violent day by day, coming into conflict with the ever-increasing number of devils that take seats formerly devoted to eladrin bloodlines.

The conflict extends even to the mortal plane, drawing adventurers with choice words to bear against Auril's cultists or Luprex's church. More dangerously, suggestions have been made within Titania's Summer Court to take Auril's side in the conflict and remove the Feywild's Infernal influence- not a certain proposal, given the destruction the devil caused when he arrived. It would require the aid of mighty Oberon, as great a hunter as Corellon himself, and many of the queens of the honey-combed, flower-covered Fields home to busy beefolk.

Inter-court squabbling is broken up when a set of rogue Formorians begins conducting regular raids on all four courts. A set of lots are pulled to produce a 'neutral' party to deal with them. You, chosen to enter the lottery for your unique skills and bravery, have had your name drawn and set to join this strange band. When your hunt for the monsters is complete, you will be tasked to seek out treasures to win favors of the courts, sort out some of the more general conflicts, find out what issues lie at the heart of the matter, and solve them before war erupts.

Initial Information:
    A Midseason Court is a Play By Post 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition game. Despite the politically-charged name, this will primarily focus on dungeon crawling, questing, and general adventuring, interspersed with short periods of intrigue and/or interpersonal roleplaying. This game is set in the Feywild, but the qualities of the plane differ wildly from D&D/Wizards of the Coasts material.

Posting Expectations:
    I expect players to post 2-3 times a week or more. After two weeks of no posting, I will contact you via PM. If you do not respond or respond and fail to provide a sufficient explanation for your lack of posting, I will give you two more weeks to rejoin the merry band before writing your character out of the game. If I need to remind you several times of your commitment for no good reason, I will give you a final warning before dropping your character from play if your patterns do not change. HOWEVER, that said, I completely understand how real-life issues such as deaths, power outages, personal illness or crisis can occur at the worst of times. Real life is always more important than the game. If you need to take some time to settle affairs or problems, I will gladly put your character on hold until the situation is resolved.

Source Material and Character Creation:
    I will try to be open to any non-Player's Handbook material, but I will tell you if I don't wish to include the options- I find some of the spells and items in Xanathar's not to my liking, for example, but most of the archetypes I find fine. If you intend to apply with the Unearthed Arcana version of a character class, archetype, race, or feature, you must indicate which Unearthed Arcana you're referencing. The Lore Mastery Arcane Tradition (Feb 13 2017) will not be considered for play.
    If you intend to use homebrew material, races, or features, you must indicate so in your application and include a source from which I can see all of the features it includes. Failure to do so will be grounds for refusal. Basically, if I can't find it or I can't read it (it's behind a paywall, for example), I can't in good conscience allow it.
    Characters will be level 9, with their first level at maximum HP and every level afterwards given over to the HP rules given below. Mythweavers character sheets are preferred but not required for play.
    • For new characters, each stat will be generated by 4d6r1b3: 4d6, rerolling any ones and then taking the best three.
      • Extremely low scores will be considered for rerolling.
      • I will allow previously-created characters if they fit all other requirements, but their ability scores, equipment, HP, and magic items should be re-generated here. Exceptions may be made for this. Do not count on them.

• You may possess one magic weapon, which has a +1 enhancement bonus, and two magic items I approve, neither of which may have a higher rarity than Rare.
      • If you somehow manage to convince me to allow such a high-rarity item anyways due to compelling story reasons, it will be your only such item, and you will get no +1 magic weapon.

• Evil characters will be allowed, as it's partly to be expected given a court swarming with actual devils, but alignment and priorities should be conductive to play. Chaotic Evil madmen who don't take care to cover up their atrocities will be quietly swept away.
    • If your character originates from the Feywild, I will tell you what they know beyond the rest of the party based on their personal experiences. I have included a non-WOTC PC race native to the setting, Wildmen, which you may choose your character to be part of.

• Due to your abilities, you have the favor of one of the courts of the Feywild, or are otherwise notable. Describe an adventure or accomplishment that made you notable or otherwise qualified you for the lottery. It has to be something someone else in the court is willing to vouch for- no keeping secret murders here. This is not a required part of the application, but it may make or break my choice.

House Rules:
    • We will be using Milestone experience, and the group will level up together. Boons and other rewards will take the place of individual experience.
    • When you gain a level, you may determine your HP increase by taking the higher of either your hit die roll or the average, and then adding your Constitution modifier.
    • Lifestyle alternate rules will be used in place of listed GP, described in the spoiler of the same name.

• I will add relevant homerules or personal errata as needed in play. In the same vein, I will attempt to accommodate for player-favored house rules, but I am not promising any guarantees.

I'll be accepting applications through January 31sh, assuming I didn't screw up the date again.
    NOTICE:
    I am moving up the recruitment closing date to 11:59 PM CST the 27th, and will choose at most six applicants before the 31st. Any applicants that have not yet applied with a completed character sheet by then will not be considered.
    A complete application will include a correct character sheet that is accessible to all players, as well as a character backstory.

Applicants:
    Midnyte- Osorin, Half-Elf Charlatan Archfey Warlock: Played a card game with Titania herself- impressive even though he lost. Affiliated with the Summer Court.
    Rellott- Veta Wixsidv, Feral Tiefling Heir Tactician Noble: Has routed Formorians in the past in the service of one of the bee queens. Affiliated with the Fields.
    Light- Camriel Arrodan, Variant Human Criminal Swashbuckler Rogue: Has escaped the lethal grips of the grand sea monster Leviathin. Mercenary currently affiliated with the Winter Court.
    Southeast- Lyssa Shaw, Half-Elf Sage Illusionist Wizard: Secured Summer Court artifact against cultist intruders. Affiliated with the Summer Court.
    skel- Ravadiana Bearcharger, Half-Elf Far Traveler Infernal Warlock: Helped seal a portal to the Shadowfell, captured a wraith. Affiliated with the Winter Court.
    DonJentlemen- Harmony of the Glistening Mountain, Zariel Tiefling Outlander Ancients Paladin: Held off a Shadowfell assault while mages sealed the portal. Affiliated with the Summer Court.
    arcanegeek- Nollryth Symryvvin, Drow Guild Merchant Hexblade Warlock: Fifth daughter of House Symryvvin, and most experienced of its members in silent action. Affiliated with the Summer Court via Auril.
    Matthan- Solen Meadowborn, Protector Aasimar Glade Guardian Ancients Paladin: Defeated a mage who sought to corrupt the glade to restore his youth. Affiliated with the Summer Court.
    daraghkeelty- Shay Briar, Half-Elf Kensei Monk 8/Hexblade Warlock 1: Chosen by the weapon Silence to fight on behalf of Auril the Frostmaiden.
    Berenion- Broghar of Silverbeard, Mountain dwarf Battlemage Wizard: Managed to track a disguised Puck over a long period of time to the point of capture. Affiliated with the Green Court.
    Alakazar- Hunter Til, Hunter Wildman Ranger: Tracked and killed a displacer beast in the Wildlands personally. Affiliated with the Green Court.
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 01-27-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Very interested in the campaign. Question: How do you feel about the magic item creation downtime rules in Xanathar's?

4. Default

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [16]

I will see about drafting up a character for this.

Quote Originally Posted by arcanegeek View Post
    Very interested in the campaign. Question: How do you feel about the magic item creation downtime rules in Xanathar's?
    They're not my favorite, especially considering the rules for scribing spell scrolls contradict those for magic item creation significantly.

Default (5e) A Midseason's Court

Getting my rolls in now.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6rb3) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6rb3) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6rb3) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6rb3) [16]

This is a lovely block.
    Last edited by daraghkeelty; 01-17-2018 at 05:58 PM.

7. Default

Trinket:
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d100) [11]

HP:
    1.) 6+3=9
    2.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [5] or 4+3=7
    3.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [7] or 4+3=7
    4.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [7] or 4+3=7
    5.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [4] or 4+3=7
    6.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [9] or 4+3=7
    7.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [9] or 4+3=7
    8.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [8] or 4+3=7
    9.) Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d6+3) [9] or 4+3=7

Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 1 - (4d6rb3) (3, 2, 2, 4) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 2 - (4d6rb3) (5, 5, 5, 2) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 3 - (4d6rb3) (5, 2, 3, 4) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 4 - (4d6rb3) (5, 6, 3, 2) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 5 - (4d6rb3) (1, 1, 2, 1, 5, 4, 1, 6) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStat 6 - (4d6rb3) (5, 3, 6, 1, 4) [15]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (4) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (7) [7]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (8) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (6) [6]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (1) [1]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (5) [5]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (4) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d8) (7) [7]

Gonna be making a rogue XD
    Last edited by Light; 01-17-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6r1b3) [13]

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast