Thread: Hello role-players!

Default Hello role-players!

Just a few days ago I decided to enter your world of wonders. I have no gamer background worth mentioning and at the moment am trying to learn as much as possible about d&d and role-playing itself; from whatever resource I can find in the internet. What attracts me is the perspective of imaginative, out-of-the-ordinary interaction with other people, and I hope to become able of taking full part in mutually rewarding team-work experiences. When I have prepared enough, I will probably make my appearance in the play-by-post section.

There is a recruiting thread though right now it's pretty dry. My suggestion if you are new to it all is learn D&D 5e. Its the simplest I think to just pick up and go. People around here are pretty open to new comers and are more than willing to help out where possible. You can also check out the "Discord" chat we on this site to make your presence known and get familiar with some of the people around the site.

Welcome, and hopefully all goes well with your adventures

Default to Light

Thank you for the kind welcome, Light. :: I appreciate your advice about the 5e - I believe it will save me some time :: With regard to my learning, the options are not that varied right now - my main resources are the PlayerBasicRules booklet from dnd.wizards.com, the online info at d20srd.org, and the random examples found here in there. Once I´m done reading the booklet I will use your advice to steer towards 5e; at that other site mentioned. :: I am sure I will meet with more valuable help along the way, and, with all my preparations, it will probably be unavoidable to lean on a friend now and then and get carried a bit through the story. But unless I start here as the familiar safely hidden in his master´s backpack most of the time (or something similar), I would surely not feel at ease with not carrying as much of my share of burden as possible. And so, for the time being, your invitation will remain a reminder of bright days of fellowship farther ahead. :: I have still to figure out how the ¨Discord¨ chat thing works. But I would do so more in the spirit of honouring the hand you reached out in your reply. You see, I am not used to chatting, but rather to choosing my written words with care; and sometimes brooding over them until they feel right. This is also one of the reasons why I incline towards the PbP style of interacting. A conversationalist of quality may show up in me in the right context, but I could also be among good people and find myself beset by a bad luck of words. Connections can be too precious to take that chance :: I expect there will be gradual knowing and being known throughout the time of my returns here. I look forward to that. But I start my journey with a measured step which best suits my means at the moment. And I treat your welcome, a sample of that feast of socializing which I may later take part in, as Lembas, to be a nourishment of good will until I make it to the other side of these dark woods of figuring the basics out on my own. :: May all go well in your adventures, too ~

On behalf of the staff of TTW (The Tangled Web), welcome, Erran! You've definitely come to the right place if you're looking to do some roleplaying over the web.

We have all manner of games that are currently recruiting. You can find them over at the Recruiting Office. It has its own rules, so check them out before you get started. Also, feel free to check out our Site Staff Info & Forum Tools forum, where you can find the site-wide rules, as well as several threads that teach you how to use the various code-related functions of the site, such as rolling dice. Even if you're brand new to this, don't worry. If you see a game in the Recruiting Office that interests you, go ahead and post in its thread to let the GM know that you're interested but you're new to the site. If they are willing to help, they'll definitely say so, and many of the GMs here are kind and helpful. And finally, whenever you feel like it, you can post in the Recruiting Office to recruit players and run your own game, too!

If you don't find an advertised game that appeals to you right away, have patience. New games are listed all the time. While you wait, you can check out the online rules documents for the types of games you want to play (if they have them). For instance, if you want to play Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition, check out the SRD (System Reference Document) and do some reading. Or, if you are interested in trying Pathfinder, try here or here. If you want to get in on Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, there's lots to read both here and here.

Keep in mind that we have several different styles of games around here. Play-By-Post (PbP) is a gaming setup in a forum format, wherein people take turns posting their actions and reactions. You also have a variety of Live options, from simple Skype sessions all the way to people who use a virtual tabletop gaming program like MapTool or Roll20. Depending on your preference, you might want to look into those. MapTool in particular has plenty of tutorial videos available from both RPtools.net and YouTube.

We’re here to help and support you. If you have any questions or issues with the site, feel free to post them in our Site Questions & Feedback Forum. If you’d like to contact a Staff Member directly, check out the Current Staff List. Give our Member-Created Content a look, if you like. The site also has a decent FAQ available for some common questions. You can also post any questions you may have right here and we'll do our best to answer them.

TTW uses a Reputation feature. If you come across a person that has posted something you like, you can click on the little starburst icon at the bottom of the post box and add to their Reputation. As a member’s Reputation grows, a green bar will begin to fill up under their username and title. It's a nice way to show that you appreciate someone's time and effort.

Again, welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay, and happy gaming!

Default a late reply

Thank you for having me here, ttw staff! :: Hey - better late than never, right?! ...It seems that I associated my returning here with success in the endeavour to become a dnd role-player and, while going deep in my studies, I lost track of other important things, like basic etiquette... It was only when I could see myself at the end of a first stage in training that I had the mental space to realize I did not answer your welcome. That´s the Sage background in me, I guess :: So... I hope you didn´t mind much. I really appreciate having my place here and being able to rely on your help. You guys are making a dream possible! Many thanks ~
    Last edited by Erran; 01-13-2018 at 11:20 PM.