Thread: [PF GESTALT] Natives of Neroth (PF GM experience required)

Default [PF GESTALT] Natives of Neroth (PF GM experience required)

Prospective players must have experience GMing PF & must be willing to GM this campaign in the future.
    Players will rotate out as GMs. Each player will prepare an adventure to last for one full level. The active GM's PC will not participate in the adventure that they GM (i.e. no GM PCs), neither gaining level or loot. Consequently, the party will often have unequal levels. The rotation will be adjusted over time so that different players experience each phase of the inequality at some point. The resulting level progression throughout various adventures will looks something like this:

Natives of Neroth
    For the past three millennia, Leitar the Archsage has watched over the continent of Neroth. By her generosity, the peoples of Neroth, far and wide, have enjoyed generations of prosperity. Leitar's magic has saturated the land, air, and sea—and people. Every native of Neroth is born with extraordinary aptitude. Although Leitar's isolationist restrictions on intercontinental and interdimensional travel may have kept them from recognizing their potential as unusual, they will soon find out.
    Having lived a long life, Leitar is ready to retire to a peaceful, humble afterlife. To prevent a tyrant from afterwards claiming her power, she disjoins her legendary staff, Wairhdel, the Wishstaff, as she surrenders her soul. Upon her departure, a wave of magic washes across Neroth, transforming the land into a frontier of magical portals. The natives of Neroth wake in unfamiliar lands, now homes of the new portals to and from Neroth.

• PbP Pathfinder (Gestalt)
    • Low posting requirement.
    • A supplementary program might be required for maps only. (If so, Roll20 is most likely.)
    • All official Paizo material is available. GMs will be expected to strongly prefer RAW.
    • Character Creation: 25 Point Buy. 300 starting gold. Any race which would not require a level adjustment. Two traits or three with drawback. All characters gain the following Campaign trait (as one of their traits):
    • I am looking for four players. This means there would be a total of 5 people, including myself.
    • A constructed character is not needed to apply. Once we have five people, we can cooperate on character creation in the game forum to ensure both a balanced party and that everyone is playing something they like. To apply, please indicate your willingness, your excitement, that you have at least some experience as a PF GM, and that you are willing to GM adventures for the others in the future (I will run the first adventure).
    • Players must be in "good standing" on TTW (i.e. they must have green reputation bars below their username).
    Last edited by Boethius; 01-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.

This looks really interesting, and I might apply. You mentioned lots of portals; does this mean the players/DMs get to create their own worlds for some of the adventures, or do you have a bunch of premade ones to chose from?

Quote Originally Posted by RealWittyAlias View Post
    This looks really interesting, and I might apply. You mentioned lots of portals; does this mean the players/DMs get to create their own worlds for some of the adventures, or do you have a bunch of premade ones to chose from?
    It is 100% open to the DMs making their own world when its their turn to DM. Or use preexisting worlds. For instance, in the first adventure, your characters won't have any idea what continent they are on. Only that they are in the "western marshes."

I wanted a way to make something really sandbox-y so that each of us could write up any adventure idea we think of. I think this will accomplish that in a cohesive, convincing manner. Neroth and Leitar don't even have to play a role in an overarching story, just a background setting to tie everything together (explains why you are gestalt, have lightened feat taxes, and can show up in any setting).

Well, that sounds super fun! I already have some character ideas and world ideas whirling around in my head. I'd love to join if you'll have me.

As far as Pathfinder DMing experience goes, I'm fairly new to it. I've been running a Pathfinder game for about five months now and hope to keep running it for a long time. (It's in my signature if you want to look at it.) Before that I ran a D&D 3.5 game for about a year or two. I know it isn't the same as Pathfinder, but it's pretty similar and made my transition to PF a lot easier. The games I run tend to be more role-play and skill check heavy, but I can do combat too.

I would definitely be willing to run adventures, although I don't have any concrete plans yet. I'm sure I'd be able to get one planned out by the time my turn came around. I'm glad you'd be DMing first, though.

Anyways, if you have any questions about my DMing or playing then feel free to ask. I'd love to try out one of these rotating GM games!

Oh, I have another question about the portals. When the PCs find themselves in a new world, do they know how to get back to their old world if they need to? Or do they have to complete some quest (like, for example, the adventure the DM wrote) to open a new portal? Or is it up to the discretion of the GM currently running the adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by RealWittyAlias View Post
    Oh, I have another question about the portals. When the PCs find themselves in a new world, do they know how to get back to their old world if they need to? Or do they have to complete some quest (like, for example, the adventure the DM wrote) to open a new portal? Or is it up to the discretion of the GM currently running the adventure?
    My current idea is that the portals can only be used by Nerothians, are nearly impossible to destroy, and require some sort of keystone to open. I'm thinking it will be very easy to open a portal from the Nerothian side because keystones are fairly accessible (maybe even just any Nerothian object at least the size of a golf ball), but it might be more difficult to open the portal back to Neroth from wherever you end up.

Essentially, a Nerothian can place any object from Neroth into a portal to open it, which turns the object into a keystone for as long as it is in the portal or the non-Neroth location. While open, the keystone is visible and can be interacted with in both locations, but only Nerothians can use it to traverse the portal. The natives of the non-Neroth location can remove the keystone to deactivate the portal (easily reopened by Nerothians with another item though). The real risk is that a Nerothian needs the keystone to open the portal back home.

For instance, in the first adventure I'll run, you will all just be waking up after the creation of the portals in a strange land. After piecing together the scattered info you have, you will realize that you got chucked through a portal. Problem is that the keystone for the portal has been taken. In order to get home, you will have to recover it. Doing so will comprise the first adventure.

Later adventures might not center around a keystone. You might just want to go do some adventuring in exotic lands. Regardless, it will be of vital importance that you have access to a keystone when you aren't in Neroth.
    Last edited by Boethius; 01-05-2018 at 08:36 PM.

I might just be interested in this. Not currently in any games, so this might be fun.
    ---

Being from the third world, BMR reserves the right to speak in the third person.

This recruitment thread is being replaced by an updated version with different requirements. Please see the Recruiting Office for more details.