Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 711

Thread: Chapter 3: The Hook Mountain Massacre

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wilrijk
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    'I'm not into wasteful spending, but we got enough. And a coach would be comfortable travelling, allowing me to start writing down our travels.' Cyrill said. 'Regardless of what happens, the things we've seen deserve to be told.'
    A gentle purring came from Cyrills pocket. 'And I guess little Skimble wouldn't mind it either.'

  2. #22

    Default

    "Well, if Skimbal says so...," Joyya pretend-grumped, still smiling, "I guess a damned coach it is. Fancy bastards we become, eh? Far cry from ol' Sandpoint."



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    1,989

    Default Day 29

    You have come a long way since that fateful day at the Swallowtail Festival in Sandpoint. It seems like years have past, but it has not even been a month. Still, red yellow and brown leaves are blowing off the branches of the trees, stirred by the chill and moist winds coming in from the Varisian Gulf, marking the swift march of autumn towards winter. With a little bargaining, the price of a carriage with two horses is 300 gp - but if you return the carriage in mint condition, you will get a refund of 200 gp. There is a trail hugging the Yondabakari River all the way to Ilsurian, but it is full of potholes and the ride is hardly comfortable. It is difficult to decide which is worse, steering the carriage from the coach seat in the drizzling rain, or being confined to the stuffy and cramped, but at least dry, cabin.

    As you sit and stare at the landscape passing (slowly) by, you have plenty of time to think - and you contemplate the events of the past month: The goblin raid on Sandpoint, which turned out to be part of a greater plan by the fallen Aasimar, Nualia, to exact vengeance on the town. While seemingly an isolated plot dreamed up by a disturbed mind, you found in her notes mention of a "runewell" located in the ancient thassilonian ruins under the town, as well as a strange amulet around her neck, featuring a an ancient thassilonian symbol, the Sihedron Rune, shaped like a seven-pointed star. When a series of terrifying murders started taking place in Sandpoint soon after - where all the victims had the same Sihedron Rune carved into their chests, it was hard to simply dismiss as a coincidence. The investigation of the murders (which sadly claimed Amadeus' would-be sister-in-law) led you to the conclusion that the perpetrator was Aldern Foxglove, a local nobleman. You tracked him down to an old haunted manor belonging to the Foxglove family and found that he had been turned into a horrible undead creature. Clues led you onwards to Magnimar, which was also plagued by similar murders - seemingly part of the same ritual of marking the victims with the Sihedron Rune before killing them. This time the murders were commited by a secretive cult led by one of the citys high officials, but you discovered that both he and Foxglove were in fact controlled by the powerful lamia (as Cyrill later determined), Xanesha.

    You are left with more questions than answers, it would seem. While you have ended the murder sprees in Sandpoint and Magnimar, the ritualistic killings clearly seem to have been part of a larger scheme, which centers around the ancient Sihedron Rune. The note found in Xanesha's hideout provides a few pieces of the puzzle: It mentions "...nurturing greed..." and "...the quality of greed in a soul..." and when you think back you realize that the victims in both Sandpoint and Magnimar were among the greediest members of the two societies (with the exception of Shayliss' sister, but come to think of it, she wasn't marked by the Sihedron Rune...) - it would seem that the rituals specifically targeted greedy souls, or as the note calls it, "harvesting greed". But for what purpose?

    If the note is to be believed, Xanesha has a sister, who resides in Turtleback Ferry, a small frontier settlement about a week's journey on horseback from Magnimar. You don't know much about Turtleback Ferry, except that it is ogre-country. The particularly fierce tribe of the Kreeg ogres had nearly wiped out the settlement, until Magnimar stepped in and established Fort Rannick near Turtleback Ferry and stationed a band of rangers - the Order of the Black Arrow - to fend off the ogres. You are now on your way to Turtleback Ferry - Xanesha's sister seems to be your only current lead.

    ------------------

    It is now on the second day of your journey and the trail has entered the Mushfens, a huge swath of marshlands stretching along the entire southern border of Varisia. Until now, the journey has been largely uneventful (save for a brief encounter with a small group of bandits, who mistook your carriage for the transport of a minor noble - you quickly convinced them otherwise), and quite boring. During the second day you have seen very few people. This stretch of the trail is not much used as most people prefer traveling on the river.

    You are yanked out of your thoughts as the carriage suddenly halts and you hear the horses becoming agitated and restless.
    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 02-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.

  4. #24

    Default

    Taking the role of driver with surprising pleasure, Joyya is up front when the horses stop and buck a bit.

    "Whoa there, strong ones," he murmurs softly. "Let's see what we can see, eh?"

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+3) [7]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHandle Animal - (1d20+4) [6]

    "Oy! You lot! Be ready. Might be trouble!"
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 02-07-2018 at 10:56 PM.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,401
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Katharina doesn't say a word. Her mood has been terrible and the metaphorical thundercloud over head almost tangible because of the unpleasantness of the journey. Angrily she grabs her shield and opens the door of the coach to half stand outside and see what's the hold up.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception - (1d20+5) [12] ((+2 against creatures not immune to fear.))
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wilrijk
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    'Another gang of Bandits?' Cyrill asked, peering in the distance. 'We should be able to make quick work of them.'
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception - (1d20+12) [29] He hadn't minded the desolate journeying, it gave plenty of time to start writing.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    1,989

    Default

    The rest of the party vacates the carriage as Joyya struggles to maintain control over the horses, his valiant efforts largely wasted. Peering over the marshy terrain - expansive wetlands with dispersed thickets of trees - you hear a faint singing coming from somewhere to the north. Joyya is preoccupied with trying to regain control of the horses, but Katharinas and Cyrills keen eyes pick out the source of the singing. It is a young woman - in fact three of them - sitting in a crooked tree some 100 feet away. They almost look like angels with wings folded behind their backs. One of the women is singing in a beautiful voice, which flows across the waters like the whisps of the early morning mist. It is quite captivating and you find yourselves being drawn to the singing.

    Everyone make a Will save.

    You see that the horses are also affected the singing. Failing to resist its lure, the two horses slowly turn the carriage northwards and start walking towards the women in the tree. There is a wide puddle of water - about 50 ft across between the horses and the singing. The horses seem to completely disregard the water and head straight for the puddle and the women beyond.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,401
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollwill save - (1d20+8) [19]
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  9. Default

    Amadeus will save Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d20+6) (1) [7]

    (Hey that one looks like my wife...)
    Last edited by mdh; 02-08-2018 at 09:36 PM.

  10. #30

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollWill - (1d20+8) [21]

    (OOC: I just spit my water out, MD! Hahaha!)



Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •