Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 3: The Hook Mountain Massacre

"Aye," Joyya says, nodding. "Le's clear it then and be done wi' it. Then out we go, I s'ppose. That snake and her muzzled mutt ain't gonna stay hid ferever. But damned if I wanna head back out in that deluge, lemme tell ya!"

After a quick search of the entire second floor of Fort Rannick, you still find no further signs of more enemies. Ironjaw has not returned and there are no signs of Lucrecia either. As far as you can tell, you seem to have cleared Fort Rannick of its unwelcome guests.

With Jakardros as your local guide, you first move south into the large room, from which the sorceress and Ironjaw emerged. Jakardros identifies the room as Commander Lamatar's quarters. The walls of the room are decorated with finely crafted longswords, stuffed animal heads, and a map of the Hook Mountain environs. A large oak table surrounded by several chairs has been smashed to splinters and an immense bed has similarly been ruined. An open cabinet that once contained several bottles of wine has been crushed as well, and broken bottles and the faint scent of wine lingers around its ruin.

The large chamber to the east, where two ogres squatted, was called The Tribunal according to Jakardros. This is where the Commander and his lieutenants conducted their meetings, worked out strategies for patrolling the region and presided over various disputes among the rangers. Now smashed chairs and a ruined table sit in this once regal chamber. Along the curved east wall hang tattered remnants of several regional maps. From the rafters, the corpses of three dead rangers are hanging, their blood draining into grimy buckets underneath.

Two smaller rooms are attached to the Tribunal. The southern room is the Map Room. Wood and glass cases lie in ruins; the hundreds of sheaves of parchment within are now spilled about, spattered in blood and torn to shreds. The room to the north is used as storage, but the ogres have also smashed the crates and barrels and their contents to pieces. Another exit from the store room leads to watchtower.

As he guides you through the wreckage of the Fort, Jakardros takes care to examine all the corpses of the rangers. Most are almost beyond recognition, but when you done he breathes sigh of relief. "No signs of the Commander among the dead!", he reports back to you, "At least, as far as I can tell. Perhaps he was worth more to them alive than dead, of maybe....." He looks around deep in thought, then utters another sigh, "...I don't know. It is probably a vain hope, but perhaps Commander Lamatar was on one of his communion walks when the ogres attacked - and he could have escaped the slaughter....?"

Blog Entries

"Or... Like your late twitchy little friend he is a traitor. His keep was overrun, taken and defiled, and all his men slaughtered, except you. He's commander no longer. Whatever his fate is irrelevant. But if you want me to guess? He was charmed, either magically or carnally, by the snake woman and we'll encounter him, and her, down the line." The executor divine surmises.
    "Let's head down and find the least defiled room to rest. I can prepare some spells to temporarily animate one or more ogres so the cretins can aid us in at least starting getting this place presentable again. The room of the snake woman looked comfy and devoid of entrails..."
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

"'ang on a tic," Joyya, "before we go animatin' corpses ta sweep th' floors...what in th' hells is a communion walk?"

Jakardros' face darkens at Katharina's suggestion that his commander may also have been a traitor, just like Kaven - but not from anger. He nods, suggesting that the thought had crossed his mind - even so, he is not happy to accept it outright.

"Not exactly sure...", he says in reply to Joyyas question, "...once every second week or so, Commander Lamatar went into the wilderness. He said it was to 'commune' with the wild life and bring him closer to the realm that he had been put in charge of guarding. He always went alone. We didn't think much of it - in fact, his walks always seemed to have a positive effect. Sometimes he would bring back intelligence about important happenings in the area - or menacing local tribes would soon after one of his walks decide to up sticks and migrate to another area." He shrugs almost apologetically, "I don't know where he went - perhaps he kept records of his walks among his personal belongings? I never saw any such reports, so I'm pretty sure he never filed any officially".

As far as you can tell, you have managed to retake Fort Rannick. It is true that a massive cleanup and reconstruction effort is needed, but at least the foul ogres have been driven out and the threat they posed to Turtleback Ferry and the surrounding area has dissipated. That is a pretty heroic accomplishment - you all receive a Hero Point! Please add it to your sheet (remember that you can have at most 3).

6. Default

“Joyya, sounds like a werebear or similar creature to me. Either that or communicating with his bosses about their plans such as Katharina said...” Amadeus replied, “I too could use a rest...” he adds as he scans the room with detect magic, adding, “Heathens...”

"Aye, a rest is well-n-good-n-due," the dwarf agrees, nodding. "But where's that captain's quarters, eh? Where th' snake woman was? If so, let's take a scan around there again. Maybe there're some clues about this captain fella we missed while we were busy almost gettin' killed."

Jakardros gives Joyya a puzzled look, then shrugs - it has been a long and arduous day and we are all tired, after all, "Well - you are standing in the commander's quarters - I just told you...", he stretches out his hands, indicating the southern-most chamber where the sorceres and Ironjaw came from.

Amadeus follows more slowly behind the rest of the group on Jakardros' tour and scans the area for magical emanations. He detects magical auras upon the dead sorceress, and by closer inspection, he finds a potion, a wand, an amulet, a headband and a ring, which are all magical. He also discovers a magical aura in the Commanders Quarters, but the object or effect seems to be hidden.

Give me a perception check, if you wish to search the Commander's Quarters.

Blog Entries

Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception - (1d20+8) [21]
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

"I reckon you might have something there, Amadeus..." Paulo adds, nodding. He certainly liked that possibility better than the one where the Commander had become an evil minion.

"Give me a bit and I'll see what I can find here," as he sets about searching the quarters. "Hide something from a Zimantui? Hmph."

Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+14) (14) [28]

Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast