Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 936

Thread: Chapter 3: The Hook Mountain Massacre

  1. #901

    Default

    "Well, at least 'e ain't gonna wanna eat th' kids after that shit," Joyya grunts when magic missiles start shooting inexorably toward the massive serpent. "Get ready, boys'n'girl."

    (OOC: Abber, I can't tell from the wording of Weapons Storm, but can Joyya touch Kathy's weapon to make this work? Or does it only work for his own weapon?

    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-p...weapons-storm/)
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 12-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.



  2. #902

    Default

    "Yep, I'll give it a try" Paulo calls back, before gingerly reaching for Katharina's pack. He's known women to swat a man over the head for invading the sanctity and privacy of their bag...so he keeps an eye on her while he does so.

    Pulling out the grappling hook, he braces his footing on the boat, casting a sideways glance at the giant serpent creature...and gives the grappling hook a few good swings over his head before launching it towards the turtleshell vessel. "Hold tight, and watch the hook!" he calls out, doubtful they'll hear him over the distance.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRanged attack grappling hook - (1d20+12-8) (4) [8] vs AC5, -8 for range and crowd

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    If Amadeus' had hoped to get the snakes' attention, he is a bit disappointed. His volley of magical darts did hurt the creature quite substantially, but this is an animal with animal instincts rather than intelligence, so it cannot really reason where force that hurt it comes from. It acknowledges the pain, but its instincts tell it to feed before it withdraws to recuperate. Therefore, it keeps going for the boat with the juicy schoolkids.

    Paulo's throw is not his most elegant, but it does its job and the hook grabs a firm hold in the side of the ferry. By bracing his feet against the frame of the boat, he can easily keep the skiff and the ferry steady together.

    ---

    From this point on, we will be in encounter mode with Joyya and Paulo going before the snake and Kathy and Amadeus after.

    The rope attached to the ferry has three effects: First, as long as one person holds the rope tight (or it is fastened to the skiff or something similar) you can keep the two boats toghether without needing to roll (there is no risk of getting pulled further away by the current). Secondly, if you are both rowing and pulling at the same time, you can achieve a synergy, which reduces the DC by 5 for a DC 15 strength check instead of 20. Finally, you know have two chances of making progress - one for rowing and one for pulling the rope - if either check succeeds you can move the skiff 30 feet, effectively closing the distance to the ferry. You can still have one person aiding either activity (one person aiding rowing and one person aiding rope pulling).

    Paulo and Joyya are up.


  4. #904

    Default

    (OOC: Ok, I swapped out that 3rd party spell for Summon Monster III. Time to try it out.)

    Joyya raised his hands toward the water and prayed.

    "If yer listenin', Forger o' th' Flames, we sure could use some help right about now."

    And when a high-finned shark appears in the water next to the boat and turns itself to swim toward the massive beast before the party, Joyya murmurs a word of thanks, having seen his prayer answered.

    (OOC: Summon Monster III to summon a shark. With a 60 foot swim speed, I'm pretty sure it can reach the serpent thing this round, but correct me if I'm wrong, Abber.)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollShark Bite - (1d20+5) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+4) [8]



  5. #905

    Default

    With the grappling hook attached to the other skiff, Paul keeps his feet braced on the side of the boat, and pulls mightily on the rope to help close the distance.

    The effort required to reach the other boat seems insurmountable...at least for a slight fellow like him...but he tries. "Someone grab on and pull!" he calls out.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSTR check vs dc 15 - (1d20+1) (15) [16]

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    Paulo's normally slender arms start to bulge like never before as he pulls at the rope with all his might. Remarkably, the skiff begins to defy the counter-current and move ever so slightly closer to the ferry with the kids.

    Joyya ignores Paulos outburst and instead enters a trance like state as he starts to build the divine power needed to cast one of his most difficult spells to date. Although it is hard to notice in the strong current, small bubbles rise from the depth of the river suggesting that something is brewing beneath the waves.

    The giant snake is wounded, but it still swims towards the kids relentlessly

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSwim - (1d20+19) [28]

    Fighting successfully against the strong current it reaches the ferry and begins to rise its mottled head above the water to the terrified shrieking from the schoolkids.

    ----

    Paulo actually pull forcefully enough to ensure that you can close the distance, provided that someone mans the oars to achieve the synergies needed for Paulo's roll to succeed. No addition roll is needed.

    Katharina and Amadeus are up.


    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 12-11-2019 at 06:57 PM.

  7. #907

    Default

    (OOC: Joyya will do whatever he can, Abber, including taking the oars as soon as his shark appears. Not sure if he has to wait until his next turn comes around for that or not, but that's what he'll do next round: he'll be the guy that holds the oars or rope or whatever is needed; he'll be the PC that does the holding with the other three do the smashing of this thing.)

    "Yer doin' it, Paulo!" the dwarf cries with a whoop as their little skiff closes the distance to the children. Gods, that beast was right on top of them...

    "Closer! Closer, lad! Yeah, tha's it!"



  8. Default

    “I can get us ashore the same way we dealt with the mountain...” Amadeus announces.

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,218

    Default Round 2

    With a common effort, Paulo and Katharina pull and row the small skiff against the current and brings it alongside the worn out turtleshell ferry. The giant snake is rearing its scorchmarked head high above the ferry with the school children inside, who are screaming in terror and pushing themselves hard against he opposite side of the ferry, threatening to capsize the thing.

    As the small skiff approaches the snake, however, the giant creature for the first time takes note of the new threat, and immediately turns its attention towards the heroes instead of the kids. Meanwhile, you notice a sudden bubbling coming from the river right next to the boat, and you are alarmed to see the sharp fin of a large shark emerging out of the water right next to the boat.

    So far, the plan seems to be working....

    ---
    Mechanics:

    Now the two boats are pulled together, keeping them steady does not require a check, as long as someone is holding the rope tight. Alternatively, someone can spend a standard action tying the rope to the skiff, thereby fastening the two boats together.

    Fighting while standing on the skiff in the rough current requires a bit of a balancing act. To make an attack or casting a spell requires an acrobatics check DC 5. Failure means you can't make the attack, but have to spend the standard action steadying yourself to regain your footing. There is no risk of toppling over the side at this point.

    Normally, we assume that everyone wears full combat gear, but since this is a special situation (and you have "forced" into a boat by yours truly), I will let you decide retroactively, but before making the acrobatics check, whether or not you are wearing armor/shield while riding the boat.

    Paulo and Joyya are next


    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 12-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.

  10. #910

    Default

    (OOC: Joyya will reluctantly and retroactively leave his armor behind, but not his shield. Gods help him.

    Happy nearly-New Year, my friends!)

    Joyya will spend his standard action tying the boats together.

    His shark will race off to bite the big fish-monster-thing in the butt.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollShark Attack - (1d20+5) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+4) [12]



Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •