Thread: Advice/Help for a new DM

Default Advice/Help for a new DM

Happy holidays, folks! Prior to joining TTW back in May, I had always been wanting to play D&D with my friends. Only one of us actually had experience playing, however, and he'd always say that he didn't have the time to run a campaign. It was getting to the point that I was gonna say "F**k it, I'LL run the campaign!" until I was told of this lovely site. But now that campaign-running itch is back.

Despite my time here, I still know very little about D&D. I have an ambitious idea that I reeeeally want to develop, but Lord do I have NO idea how to get it set up, haha. Anyone know of a How to DM 101 guide, or would anyone be willing to mentor me?
    Last edited by Drew; 12-03-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Please don't use curse words in public threads. We're an all-ages site.

The Tutorials section of the library has some really great DMing advice from various users. I think it would be a good place to start. Also, I’m fairly new to DMing myself, but if you ever need help with anything I can try to give you some advice myself. I’m sure lots of other DMs on the site would be happy to help too!

Thank you RealWittyAlias, I'll give that section a looksee!

Check out Matt Colville's YouTube series about running the game here. Lots of good stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZ...7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    Check out Matt Colville's YouTube series about running the game here. Lots of good stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZ...7hs8MaV7ELLCP_
    1) I did not know this guy.
    2) I REALLY like this guy.
    3) He preaches nothing but truth.
    4) You're awesome for bringing him to attention.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Rise of the Marked
    - Lo Nua - Bellamy Sisters' Circus

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Touche, Tiger, thank you so much Rellott for telling us about him! Somehow I missed your message, forgive me for the last response.

hey altiora! even though i don't have much advice to give (since i am pretty nooblish at D&D), i hope you come out with a game soon! you're an amazing roleplayer so i'd love to see what game you create.
    jade xiuveil - poetry lover, sera - altruistic romantic

Quote Originally Posted by Lia Xian View Post
    hey altiora! even though i don't have much advice to give (since i am pretty nooblish at D&D), i hope you come out with a game soon! you're an amazing roleplayer so i'd love to see what game you create.
    Aww, thank you! Hopefully with the YouTuber Rellott supplied, the campaign won't be a complete disaster and won't disappoint, haha.