Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [D&D5e] A Harper's Journey

Default [D&D5e] A Harper's Journey

Just to get it out of the way
    1. This is a D&D 5e game
    2. Any of the rules in the players handbook are up for grabs. We'll talk as a group about the variants once we get there. Characters start at 1st level.
    3. I figure we'll shoot for 1 post/day or so, but if it ends up being more like 4-5 a week that's cool as well.

Scornubel, a city located in the Western Heartlands of Faerun, is only noteworthy because of its location north of the River Chionthar where it meets the Trade Way. Sitting at the intersection of these two important trade routes, the city is also known as the Caravan City. Each summer the population of this small city swells, nearly to the point of bursting with travelers representing virtually every race and nationality found on Faerun.

In counterpoint to the bustling Scornubel, the small village of Aberuthven sits quietly, three days of hard walking to the southwest. In many respects, this little village is just like hundreds of other similar villages scattered throughout the countryside. However, a small keep, a half day’s walk from the edge of town receives a surprising number of visitors that enter from the northeast and leave several months later heading southeast towards Berdusk, a legendary base of operations for the Harpers.

The Harpers are the worst kept secret on Faerun, and are widely known for their dedication to doing good and helping wrest power from those who misuse it. In general, people loves the Harpers, but only in the abstract sense since membership is a closely guarded secret. Much like any other secret organization, recruiting new members is always difficult, and is compounded by the Harper’s high standards.

In an attempt to bolster their membership, the Harpers have established a small keep outside of Aberuthven to recruit new members. Due to the proximity of the Caravan City, the Harpers are able to find young, promising recruits of virtually any race. These new recruits, however, all have two things in common. First, they share a good alignment and a drive to help their fellows. Second, they carry an offer to join the School of Husbandry and Advanced Farming Techniques, which is located on the outskirts of Aberuthven.

The school is easy to find based on its location and the huge sign out front with its name blazoned across it. Observant locals have noted that for a school there is a surprising dearth of animals, crops, or anything agrarian, and an equally confusing number of rough looking transients fairly bristling with swords. Thankfully for the school, all of the villagers sport a small harp pin in some form or fashion, and more than a few of these “villagers” just happen to be adjunct instructors at the school.

For those lucky few invited to the school, it has a very different name only mentioned while in the confines of the keep. The initiates know the school to be a fašade for the Harper’s Order of Shaundakul. Belonging to this order doesn’t require worshipping Shaundakul, the god of exploration, caravans, and travelers but it is considered a bonus. The Order of Shaundakul, as it turns out, trains young travelers to become wandering adventures that act as the eyes and ears of the Harpers. Upon Graduation from the school, members make their way in secret to the Harper guild hall in Berdusk and take their oath in the presence of one of the seven High Harpers.

You have been recently recruited and find yourself leaving Scornubel with a portly dwarf named Adoward “the Baker” Axeager. The beginning of the journey toward Aberuthven as only just begun.

Good day all!
    Thanks for checking out my game thread. I am looking to start up a pbp game here. I've been here before, and have been away for some time. I've been trying to find a good way to get some more gaming in and have tried many other sites and techniques, but I always find that this is by far the better location and medium for me. I want to try a few things with this game so bear with me as I explain it.

First a bit about me...I've been gaming since the good 'ol days, and have come back in the last few years. My life is pretty hectic, but I find pbp to be a good way to get into it. I've tried many times in the past and the games never seem to last and I think I've finally realized that its ok. Some have been my fault, and I think that I was trying to hard. I have done alot of different things to make it work, mostly around creating many requirements to play under. I've found that the best way is just to chill and relax, letting the game take us where we want. I used to have a whole sheet of things that were intended to put parameters on things to do in the game. It was all intended to make the game run smooth, but as you can imagine that never really worked and seemed to just turn people off. So, here I am. Back again. With a new attitude and looking to make some friends and have some fun.

We will be completing character creation as part of the game, so I'm not concerned that you get a full character laid out before we start. In fact, I'd ask that you don't do that. I intend to run us through a few introductory encounters and such to get us in the groove, but the adventure may take us anywhere. This will likely be geared more toward newer players, but I expect that anyone would find it fun and entertaining.

If your interested in a journey into the world of the Harpers, and think you might enjoy this game then feel free to post here. I think, just to give you something to work with I'll post a few things about being a Harper, then something to help you format a response of interest, and because we can't be totally with out some rules please make sure you see the three items at the top.

Harpers are: Usually of any race, are good aligned, and have a drive to help their fellows

If you're interested in playing please include the following (remember we'll do full characters as part of the game once we get started)
    -What race are you thinking of playing (as you've seen above, PHB only)
    -What about that race interests you (a couple of sentences should be enough)

I'll leave it open for a bit and then request the game thread. I'm hoping for like 4-5 interested folks. Wow, that got long, sorry.
    Last edited by jokast; 11-21-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Really interested in this, will fire something up for you. Is there any particular format you’re looking for for the application?

Nope. Just make sure that you are ok with the restrictions of being a Harper, and then let me know what race you're looking at and what interests you about that. I'd ask you don't go much farther into than that, to keep you free to engage in our character development roleplay that we'll kick it off with.

Well, this is certainly new. This has peaked my interest, but I would definitely like to know some of the mechanical details.

How will you handle character creation? I'm assuming characters would be starting at level 1, but how will stats be generated?
    What kind of sources will be available for use, asides from the PHB? I'm also assuming Sword's Coast Adventure is available since that directly references the Harpers, but what about Unearthed Arcana, Elemental Evil, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything?
    Are there any other features during character creation we should be aware of that could change things up?

Well, I guess my first post wasn't as clear as I thought. I hate it when that happens but perhaps I can clarify.

Ok...
    -Yes, level 1 characters, stats will be created as outlined in the PHB (non-variant) by rolling or standard array
    -We will be using the rules and options from the PHB only
    -I guess I don't really understand what you're asking in your last question, but let me stab at it. We will create characters as a group, using a roleplay. The mechanics and all that are handled as outlined in the PHB. For example, as part of the roleplay you may decide that your ideas evolve more into a rogue than a fighter. That'll be ok, and you'll manage the mechanics as appropriate in accordance with the PHB. What I'm hoping to accomplish is to come to the table with an open mind about characters, and be able to respond as we play. I've found alot of the time, that my first instinct isn't usually where I land with a character.

Not sure that really helps, but hopefully it gives you what you need

I’m thinking half-elf. The tensions of being from two worlds creates internal conflict within the character that works itself in the course of game play.

I’ve played the “0” level character and find your identity through early play before and it can work very well. It’s hard to resist the impulses for character creation but with improvisation you can find the character you want to play. I'm more story driven to create a character but this can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by xcylla View Post
    I’m thinking half-elf. The tensions of being from two worlds creates internal conflict within the character that works itself in the course of game play.

I’ve played the “0” level character and find your identity through early play before and it can work very well. It’s hard to resist the impulses for character creation but with improvisation you can find the character you want to play. I'm more story driven to create a character but this can be fun.

I've never tried it, but it sounds like a cool way to go. Can I ask you a question? (Silly thing to ask, since I'm not going to wait for your answer ha ha) What do you mean by "more story driven to create a character?" I would think this method would allow for more of that, but having never tried it I guess I'm not sure.
    Last edited by jokast; 11-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Default [D&D5e]A Harper's Journey

I'm interested! I usually play characters who fit in to society well (humans and half elves). I think I'd like to try out a Tiefling this time, play with the idea of a character born out of a traditionally evil heritage who tries to do good by the world by joining the Harpers.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jokast View Post
    I've never tried it, but it sounds like a cool way to go. Can I ask you a question? (Silly thing to ask, since I'm not going to wait for your answer ha ha) What do you mean by "more story driven to create a character?" I would think this method would allow for more of that, but having never tried it I guess I'm not sure.
    My normal process is to create a story for my character. I find that doesn't work as well in Forgotten Realms because of the large number of existing non-player characters.

Using a more improvisational style captures fun, but if you haven't thought about your character and what explains your character's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by xcylla View Post
    My normal process is to create a story for my character. I find that doesn't work as well in Forgotten Realms because of the large number of existing non-player characters.

Using a more improvisational style captures fun, but if you haven't thought about your character and what explains your character's behavior.
    Gotcha, thanks for the response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast