Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5e - Ongoing Recruitment for Newbies 3: "The Death Knight's Squire"

Default 5e - Ongoing Recruitment for Newbies 3: "The Death Knight's Squire"

If you're just now finding this game, please note that I am temporarily at my limit, once the two people in progress finish. I will resume taking applications (and create a new thread to do so) when a few people clear their tutorial. Thanks for your interest!

The Death Knight’s Squire

System: 5e
    Format: Play-by-post

Attention Newbies!

I have noticed a large number of new players showing up on The Tangled Web. Sometimes when they are recruiting for a game, DMs may be hesitant to accept newbies since they are an unknown quantity – “Will they stick around? Will they be good players? How much am I going to have to help them understand the forum and/or game system in order for them to keep up?” I would like to help you get your foot in the door!

I’m looking for a small handful of players who meet at least one of the following criteria. Preference will be given to players who meet one or more of the criteria, and to players who meet criteria closer to the top of the list:

1. New to RPGs in general
    2. New to Dungeons & Dragons / d20 style RPGs
    3. New to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons
    4. New to Play-by-Post format
    5. New to The Tangled Web
    6. Not new to any of the above, but not currently in a game (Note that if this category applies to you, I may ask for an explanation of why you’re not in a game and who has DM’d for you in the past, to make sure that you don’t have any major behavior problems.)

I want to run you through a relatively short adventure, with just you as a player. (I’ll be selecting a few newbies, and run each of them through a separate instance of the adventure.) This will give you a chance to learn the ropes without slowing anyone down, so that when you go to join your next game, you’ll be completely ready, and the only thing you/the DM will have to consider then will be the fact that you’re going to be learning to play as part of a team.

This game will NOT be an ongoing campaign, just a short one-off adventure. When it’s done, it’s done.

The adventure was written to be run without a DM – almost like a choose your own adventure style book. As a result, I will often provide some specific options for you to choose from rather than everything being completely open-ended. You are still encouraged to narrate your actions in the first or third person (most games encourage 3rd person narration so that the character name is inserted somewhere in each post, which helps avoid confusion about who is doing what).

Posting requirements: at least 4-5 times per week. More would be ideal, but I can’t promise I’ll be able to respond immediately and/or every day to accommodate super-frequent posting.

Still interested? Read on!

Hook/intro:

Character creation:

If you have any questions or need help creating your character, please feel free to ask. The whole point is to help you learn and understand the game and pbp gaming format here at The Tangled Web.

A complete application will include the following:

1. Which category (or categories) of newbie you fall into from the list above. (This will be one of my primary means of selecting players. Please be honest.)
    2. A link to a complete and correct character sheet made using Myth-Weavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com/). You will need to make a free account there to do this. You can view some of my personal character sheets in my signature, to get an idea of what I mean by “complete.”
    3. Your character’s name, race, and a brief bio/description of your character. At least 5 sentences, no more than 3 paragraphs. This should be posted as part of your completed application post, and also be included on your character sheet. For what it’s worth when you’re writing, the adventure takes place in the Sword Coast area of the Forgotten Realms. If you’re not familiar with it and wind up creating some places or characters, that’s fine.
    4. A character portrait is not necessary, but ideal. This helps everyone visualize your character.

Assume that I'm still taking players, even if this thread is locked (in which case you can send me a private message). If I've reached my limit for the moment, I'll let you know. So don’t freak out if you see a bunch of people have already applied.
    Last edited by Rellott; 11-25-2017 at 08:53 PM.

i want to join!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coozman View Post
    i want to join!!!
    Come on and do it then! As per your message, you're pretty darn new. Check out the Basic Rules that I link to in the post. You first decision will need to be race and class. For race, you can pick from human, dwarf, elf, and halfling. For class, you can pick from fighter, rogue, cleric, or wizard. (There are of course more options in the full books, those are just the ones in the Basic Rules.)

In my opinion, the easiest class to pick up and use, the simplest and most straightforward class, is the fighter. Rogues get some complexity with their stealth, sneak attack, and cunning actions, and then clerics and wizards have all the baggage that comes with picking spells and understanding what the spells can do.

Humans are the simplest race mechanically, but none of the races are super complicated. Pick one you like the flavor of.

Once you've picked those, head over onto your Myth Weavers sheet. Copy the features and any other info you feel like you'll want to have handy from your race and level one of your class. The Basic Rules have a step-by-step walkthrough of the character creation process that, coupled with my information above, should help you finish out the process. I would recommend building your character at level one with the equipment package granted by your race and class, and once you feel you've got it all set, THEN spending some money on items and leveling your character up to level 2.

If you have any specific questions or feel like you're getting hung up on something, let me know here in this thread.
    Last edited by Rellott; 11-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.

I want to join, where do I submit my character sheets and stuff too?

You submit them here in this thread.

Do I submit a picture of my character sheet? I have a character already made up but it is 4e. What is the difference between 4e and 5e?

5e is a lot more streamlined and simple. You can take the RP elements and the race and class over (assuming they’re basic races/classes) but the mechanics are different. No more at will/encounter/daily powers at every level and feats every other level with front loaded class features.

Ok, how do I post my character sheet onto here. Do I take a picture of it? Or do I just need to give a description and such?

Please read part 2 of “a complete application will include the following” near the end of my initial post.

If I sign up for myth-weavers will you be able to see my character sheet?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast