Thread: 5e - Ongoing Recruitment for Newbies 2: "The Death Knight's Squire"

Default 5e - Ongoing Recruitment for Newbies 2: "The Death Knight's Squire"

(@mods: Tiger gave me permission to continue recruitment pretty much indefinitely by reposting the recruitment thread when it would time out.)

The Death Knight’s Squire

System: 5e
    Format: Play-by-post

Attention Newbies!

I have noticed a large number of new players showing up on The Tangled Web. Sometimes when they are recruiting for a game, DMs may be hesitant to accept newbies since they are an unknown quantity – “Will they stick around? Will they be good players? How much am I going to have to help them understand the forum and/or game system in order for them to keep up?” I would like to help you get your foot in the door!

I’m looking for a small handful of players who meet at least one of the following criteria. Preference will be given to players who meet one or more of the criteria, and to players who meet criteria closer to the top of the list:

1. New to RPGs in general
    2. New to Dungeons & Dragons / d20 style RPGs
    3. New to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons
    4. New to Play-by-Post format
    5. New to The Tangled Web
    6. Not new to any of the above, but not currently in a game (Note that if this category applies to you, I may ask for an explanation of why you’re not in a game and who has DM’d for you in the past, to make sure that you don’t have any major behavior problems.)

I want to run you through a relatively short adventure, with just you as a player. (I’ll be selecting a few newbies, and run each of them through a separate instance of the adventure.) This will give you a chance to learn the ropes without slowing anyone down, so that when you go to join your next game, you’ll be completely ready, and the only thing you/the DM will have to consider then will be the fact that you’re going to be learning to play as part of a team.

This game will NOT be an ongoing campaign, just a short one-off adventure. When it’s done, it’s done.

The adventure was written to be run without a DM – almost like a choose your own adventure style book. As a result, I will often provide some specific options for you to choose from rather than everything being completely open-ended. You are still encouraged to narrate your actions in the first or third person (most games encourage 3rd person narration so that the character name is inserted somewhere in each post, which helps avoid confusion about who is doing what).

Posting requirements: at least 4-5 times per week. More would be ideal, but I can’t promise I’ll be able to respond immediately and/or every day to accommodate super-frequent posting.

Still interested? Read on!

Hook/intro:

Character creation:

If you have any questions or need help creating your character, please feel free to ask. The whole point is to help you learn and understand the game and pbp gaming format here at The Tangled Web.

A complete application will include the following:

1. Which category (or categories) of newbie you fall into from the list above. (This will be one of my primary means of selecting players. Please be honest.)
    2. A link to a complete and correct character sheet made using Myth-Weavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com/). You will need to make a free account there to do this. You can view some of my personal character sheets in my signature, to get an idea of what I mean by “complete.”
    3. Your character’s name, race, and a brief bio/description of your character. At least 5 sentences, no more than 3 paragraphs. This should be posted as part of your completed application post, and also be included on your character sheet. For what it’s worth when you’re writing, the adventure takes place in the Sword Coast area of the Forgotten Realms. If you’re not familiar with it and wind up creating some places or characters, that’s fine.
    4. A character portrait is not necessary, but ideal. I will make a token out of it to use on maps. If you don’t provide a portrait, I’ll use something plain to represent you if/when the time comes.

Assume that I'm still taking players, even if this thread is locked (in which case you can send me a private message). If I've reached my limit for the moment, I'll let you know. So don’t freak out if you see a bunch of people have already applied.
    Last edited by Rellott; Yesterday at 03:17 PM.

Hello! My name is David. I'm extremely interested in what you're doing here, and I really appreciate you providing this opportunity to learn!

1. I meet qualifications 4 and 5, mostly. I've played on here briefly a couple times, with PbP, but that was years ago and I never knew what I was doing or how to do it. I've touched 5e and I like what I've seen of it, but I'm very inexperienced with it as I've only played 1 or 2 short sessions.

2. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1389166
    My character will be a Paladin of Helm, a Noble and a Knight (this should be interesting). I am rolling below for attributes and health.
    Attributes: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (4, 6, 4, 2) [14] - Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (3, 2, 2, 2) [7] - Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (4, 1, 6, 6, 4) [16] - Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (6, 6, 6, 6) [18] - Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (2, 3, 6, 4) [13] - Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6rb3) (1, 6, 5, 5, 3) [16]
    Health: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d10) (8) [8]

3. Name: Halasar Dealdreshkimeres Race: Dragonborn

Halasar grew up a noble, adopted by human parents. He had expert trainers for swordsmanship and other things ever since he arrived at the palace, but never felt that he belonged there. Helm had been reaching out to him since he was 7 years old, but he didn't understand or follow the call until he was 10. Halasar started working at the temple of Helm at that point, where he was taken in by Tarsus Halantis, who taught him everything that he could learn about the priesthood and about Helm. Halasar looked up to Tarsus as a great leader and teacher, and worked and prayed in the temple until he was 20 years old. At age 15, for his adulthood party he was gifted a very expensive german shepherd who never left his side (much to the dismay of his fellow priests) except to stay at his daughter's side whom he adopted at age 17. Halonya, his daughter, was a human 6 years of age.

Halasar, at age 20, was meditating in his palace tower room when he saw out the window the temple exploded in flames. Rushing to the temple garden where his daughter and dog were playing, he found only their burning corpses. He fell to his knees surrounded by flames, and wept. Then he heard Helm call out to him. He learned then that Tarsus was secretly summoning demons, and deduced that something either went wrong, or Tarsus purposefully set the temple aflame, killing all who were inside. Helm also gave Halasar visions of himself doing great deeds in the name of Helm, and Halasar left his town as Helm's paladin. He also desires to find and get vengeance on Tarsus, who hasn't been heard of since that fateful day, but was not found in the temple.

4. Portrait is in the character sheet.
    Last edited by ArchSkuD; 11-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Welcome back to TTW! I vaguely remember you from the very beginning of Kor's Quest. It's still running, actually, but under a new DM and on a new questline with completely new characters. We're level 9 now.

Your sheet looks awesome. Just make sure to add your Max HP and your Initiative. I'll go ahead and request your subforum.

Hi there! I'm Kate and would love to be a part of this!

1. I've been playing DnD for about the past year but am new to this forum and the pbp format.

2. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1389974 (point buy. Health Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d8) (7) [7]

3. Mouse. Forest Gnome. Druid.

Mouse was discovered by an elderly druid deep in the Lurkwoods, seemingly abandoned and left for dead. Feeling sorry for the tiny creature, he brought her in and raised her as his own daughter, teaching her the ways of the forest. Mouse led an idyllic life until one day, she came home to find her father brutally murdered and her house in ashes.

Heartbroken, she swore vengeance and, for the first time, she left the familiar woodland and set out into the world, searching high and low for any clue or sign of her father's killer. Unfortunately, she quickly found the world outside was not as simple as the one she had grown up in, and that people were often weak and cruel. Mouse longs for the day that she can put her quest to bed and finally return to her home, where she belongs.

4. mouseicon.png

Welcome, hedgepodge!

Looking over your sheet, I see a few things to work on.

• You should be able to prepare 4 druid spells, since you get your wis mod (2) plus your druid level (2).
    • Make sure to add all your druid features to your sheet from levels 1 and 2.
    • You've got the Minor Illusion cantrip as a gnome, so it would make sense to put it on your cantrip list. If you want to put it away from the other cantrips so it's clear it's got something different about it, that's fine.
    • Make sure to indicate your weapon and armor proficiencies in the same area as where you put your Herbalism Kit proficiency. If you want to lump the druid's list of weapon proficiencies in there somehow instead of itemizing them, that's fine.
    • Make sure to list all your items that you gain both from your class and your background. I'm assuming you took the leather armor from druid, but aside from it clearly impacting your AC, I don't see it on your sheet. Your druidic spellcasting focus doesn't seem to be on there at all.
    • You should feel free to spend as much of that 150gp on whatever items you would like, such as health potions or better armor (studded leather).

Everything else looks good!
    Last edited by Rellott; 11-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Would I be able to use my quarterstaff as my focus? If yes, then the sheet has been updated. If not, I can throw one in there really quick.

Also, I'm not in any games that have ever messed around with weight. Is this something that I need to fill in?

Quote Originally Posted by hedgepodge View Post
    Would I be able to use my quarterstaff as my focus? If yes, then the sheet has been updated. If not, I can throw one in there really quick.

Also, I'm not in any games that have ever messed around with weight. Is this something that I need to fill in?
    You're right, you can use the staff as a focus. That means it's technically worth 5gp, but mechanically it doesn't mean anything important. Most 5e games around here don't much care about weight/encumbrance, and unless you've got a super low strength score it shouldn't matter anyway.
    Last thing I just noticed: you should actually have 17 HP. You start with 8+con mod (9), and you gained 7+con mod (8) at level 2 for a total of 17.

I'll send you and ArchSkuD links and passwords in just a moment.

bump

Two weeks have passed. Thread will now be Closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    (@mods: Tiger gave me permission to continue recruitment pretty much indefinitely by reposting the recruitment thread when it would time out.)
    You're right. That's a thing that any User can do if they already have an active game forum, as the Recruiting Office Rules state. Continue to create more "additional player" recruitment posts if you so wish.