Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5e 1-on-1 for Newbies: The Death Knight's Squire

Default 5e 1-on-1 for Newbies: The Death Knight's Squire

The Death Knight’s Squire
    System: 5e
    Format: Play-by-post

Attention Newbies!

I have noticed a large number of new players showing up on The Tangled Web. Sometimes when they are recruiting for a game, DMs may be hesitant to accept newbies since they are an unknown quantity – “Will they stick around? Will they be good players? How much am I going to have to help them understand the forum and/or game system in order for them to keep up?” I would like to help you get your foot in the door!

I’m looking for a small handful of players who meet at least one of the following criteria. Preference will be given to players who meet one or more of the criteria, and to players who meet criteria closer to the top of the list:

1. New to RPGs in general
    2. New to Dungeons & Dragons / d20 style RPGs
    3. New to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons
    4. New to Play-by-Post format
    5. New to The Tangled Web
    6. Not new to any of the above, but not currently in a game (Note that if this category applies to you, I may ask for an explanation of why you’re not in a game and who has DM’d for you in the past, to make sure that you don’t have any major behavior problems.)

I want to run you through a relatively short adventure, with just you as a player. (I’ll be selecting a few newbies, and run each of them through a separate instance of the adventure.) This will give you a chance to learn the ropes without slowing anyone down, so that when you go to join your next game, you’ll be completely ready, and the only thing you/the DM will have to consider then will be the fact that you’re going to be learning to play as part of a team.

This game will NOT be an ongoing campaign, just a short one-off adventure. When it’s done, it’s done.

The adventure was written to be run without a DM – almost like a choose your own adventure style book. As a result, I will often provide some specific options for you to choose from rather than everything being completely open-ended. You are still encouraged to narrate your actions in the first or third person (most games encourage 3rd person narration so that the character name is inserted somewhere in each post, which helps avoid confusion about who is doing what).

Posting requirements: at least 4-5 times per week. More would be ideal, but I can’t promise I’ll be able to respond immediately and/or every day to accommodate super-frequent posting.

Still interested? Read on!

Hook/intro:

Character creation:

If you have any questions or need help creating your character, please feel free to ask. The whole point is to help you learn and understand the game and pbp gaming format here at The Tangled Web.

A complete application will include the following:

1. Which category (or categories) of newbie you fall into from the list above. (This will be one of my primary means of selecting players. Please be honest.)
    2. A link to a complete and correct character sheet made using Myth-Weavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com/). You will need to make a free account there to do this. You can view some of my personal character sheets in my signature, to get an idea of what I mean by “complete.”
    3. Your character’s name, race, and a brief bio/description of your character. At least 5 sentences, no more than 3 paragraphs. This should be posted as part of your completed application post, and also be included on your character sheet. For what it’s worth when you’re writing, the adventure takes place in the Sword Coast area of the Forgotten Realms. If you’re not familiar with it and wind up creating some places or characters, that’s fine.
    4. A character portrait is not necessary, but ideal. I will make a token out of it to use on maps. If you don’t provide a portrait, I’ll use something plain to represent you if/when the time comes.

I’ll be accepting applications until 4:00 PM (Eastern time zone), October 20th. I will make a selection of a few players based on completed applications then, so don’t freak out if you see a bunch of people have already applied.

List of completed applications:
    None yet! Be the first!
    Last edited by Rellott; 10-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Allow me to be the first person to vouch for Rellott for any newbies who are curious in taking up this offer. Rellott is a very experienced played and DM when it comes to 5e, fairly flexible and timely with his ability to run games and post in games he has joined as a player. Granted, the massive green bar that shows his reputation next to his name also shows how true that is, but it doesn't really do him justice. If you're looking to delve into 5e, you won't find many other GMs as qualified as Rellott to show you the ropes. I myself am in a few campaigns with the man, and he's a joy to play with, both as a player and as a DM.

All in all, if I was a new player, I'd be jumping on this opportunity right now. Don't miss your chance!

[insert various praises and recommendations here]

Basically everything DonJentleman said. Rellott knows what he's doing. A great opportunity if you're specifically looking for some 5e action.

Why should I apologize for the monster I have become? No one ever apologized for making me this way.

Ah i would love an opportunity to get into 5e, and this seems like a delightful chance. Choose your own adventure books were my favorite.. lol
    Would you be ok with a Dragonborne Sorcerer, Would you allow the Favored Soul path?
    "My Jagan Eye may not be natural but it does give me exactly what I need."​

Yuna Lesca - Leaves for Trees

Tiz and her faithful partner Lightning - Ascendancy of the Marked(Luna Crew)

Dragonborn and sorcerer are both in the phb and thus allowed, but favored soul is not. Sticking to basics for this one. The phb has a wild magic/chaos sorcerer and a draconic bloodline sorcerer you could pick from if you decide to stay that course.

I am very interested as I am new to TTW, PBP, and relatively still new to 5e. I would like to play and learn the ropes of PbP and forum play. I too enjoy the choose your own path stories. I shall get to work right away on a character design and complete sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah derp, its the first line under the creation spoiler, i totally spaced on that one. I think since Level was in bold my eyes actually skipped the first sentence. HAHAH. Ok Draconic it will probably be, if i do in fact create one.

Edit: I just received a PM from Skyvalker accepting me into a newbie game he had also started with a friend of mine, ((i should of checked my inbox first before posting here this morning...sorry) But anyway yea i will hop over into that one. Thanks Rellott for everything you do for both this site and hobby. Good Luck everyone.
    Last edited by Hiei; 10-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    "My Jagan Eye may not be natural but it does give me exactly what I need."​

Yuna Lesca - Leaves for Trees

Tiz and her faithful partner Lightning - Ascendancy of the Marked(Luna Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiei View Post
    Hahah derp, its the first line under the creation spoiler, i totally spaced on that one. I think since Level was in bold my eyes actually skipped the first sentence. HAHAH. Ok Draconic it will probably be, if i do in fact create one.

Edit: I just received a PM from Skyvalker accepting me into a newbie game he had also started with a friend of mine, ((i should of checked my inbox first before posting here this morning...sorry) But anyway yea i will hop over into that one. Thanks Rellott for everything you do for both this site and hobby. Good Luck everyone.
    If anything happens to that game before my recruitment time is up, feel free to come on back and apply.

I'm half tempted to apply for this since I am technically new to PbP, TTW and have yet to make it into an active game that is running.

10. Default

Hi Rellott, you already have me in "The last Gasp" but while I'm not a total beginner in any of the above categories I'm not completely used to them either. Anyways I love the setting and would love to play my first 1-on-1 campaign. Gonna try and put together an app If theres room for me ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast