Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5e - Open World One-on-One Adventure

Default 5e - Open World One-on-One Adventure

The world of Illyria is vast. From the grandeur of enormous cities to hovels of wattle huts; from spacious, open prairies to dense, crowded forests; from the tops of mountains, to the depths of the sea; there is something for everyone, and an adventure around every corner. Whatever your past life, you have decided to try and change your fate. But the winds of destiny aren't always behind you, and the longer the road you travel, the more likely you are to find danger.

Hey all, I've been kicking this idea around for a while and decided to finally make a recruiting post for a one-to-one game. Who is this game for? Well, its perfect for beginners and veterans alike - anyone, really, who wants a deeper roleplay experience with a single character focus. Someone who isn't afraid to try something that isn't the standard adventure path or story. The setting is Illyria, a relatively undefined, open-world. Rather than a set adventure, the adventure would be based on you and your character and what s/he wants to accomplish. Do you want to finally play that Ranger who actually roams the wild, hunting beasts, scavenging for food and supplies, protecting those who live on the fringes of civilization from the bumps in the night? Or maybe you want to play a bard, embroiled in the political intrigue and back-stabbing of a large kingdom or city-state? Or maybe a daring rogue, eager to move up the ranks of the local thieves guild, pushed to take on bigger and more daring heists? Or what about a noble squire, hoping to prove his mettle and become a crusader for his or her god? Maybe a grizzled old soldier, taking on the mantle of a new sell-sword? Or a young, careless mage, more consumed with quests for knowledge, forbidden and long-lost, than she is her own safety and sanity. All of these people and more reside in Illyria, and as the GM, I want to see your characters develop in a story that fits their personality, their goals, their background.

The standard info:

• What system are you using (D&D 3.5, PF, WoD, etc.)?5e
    • What medium(s) are you using (PbP, MapTool, etc.)? PbP
    • If you are playing Play-by-Post, consider the following questions:

• How often will you require people to post?Every few days. Each "adventure" will feature a single player and me as GM, so there won't be anyone other than yourself that's being held back if you don't post for a few days.

There are a number of homebrew rules, so please read on if you're interested:

1. Leveling: Leveling will be handled on a milestone system that occurs once your character has done something significant or seen a significant change in his or her goals or surroundings. At level 3, characters will receive a free feat of their choice so long as they meet its prerequisites. Some abilities or character changes will have to be roleplayed before they are effective.

2. Character stats: The assignment of character abilities will be solely based on standard array. No point buy, no rolling. However, in addition to the normal stat increases, you will get a 1 point increase to your primary stat at level 2 and a 1 point increase to your secondary stat at level 6.

3. Skill Proficiency: Each character will start with proficiency in his or her class and background skills as normal for level 1. However, for each successive level past the first level, characters will receive bonus modifier points for skills as they are used during play, in lieu of proficiency bonus, meaning that your character will become more adept at skills that they use as they become more experienced.

4. Weapons/Spell Proficiency: A character's proficiency bonus will continue to apply as it does in 5e, but, characters will gain bonus modifier/proficiency points for weapons and/or spells that are frequently used. For example, a level 4 ranger and a level 4 fighter will each have a +2 proficiency bonus on attack rolls made with a longbow. However, if the ranger frequently uses the longbow, and the fighter does not, by level 4, the ranger may have an additional +2 or even +3 (for a total proficiency of +4 or +5) that the fighter does not have. This serves the purpose of showing specialization with a particular weapon(s) or spell-casting.

5. Followers:5e is a game built for party-based combat and exploration, not generally solo-character. To balance the lack of other players, your character will have the chance to gain two sets of followers during his or her journeys. The first are hirelings, which will use the npc stat blocks. Hirelings are essentially adventurers and others that your character can hire (either for gold, reknown, or other value) to accompany them and fulfill certain roles. Hirelings will follow most orders, provided that it is something they are skilled in or adept in and you are not asking them to subject themselves to unacceptable risk of death or other danger. The second are companions, which are fully fleshed out characters (think the Baldur's Gate pc games). Companions will generally accompany you for their own reasons, be it because you are involved in an adventure which has caught their interest or they have a vested desire to see you succeed at something. They will not follow "orders" but will assist you and fight along-side you so long as your interests align. Think of the difference between hirelings and companions as the difference between employees and partners. One will do what you tell them, in many cases regardless of morality, so long as you pay them and the pay is worth the danger; the other will accompany you, counsel you, wade into extreme danger with you, and perhaps even sacrifice themselves for you, so long as your goals and ends are consistent with theirs.

If you're still reading on and you're interested in applying, here's how to do Character Creation:
    Level: Start at lvl 1, max HP
    Equipment: Starting class/background equipment (if, for flavor purposes, you really need/want to revise, please ask. If reasonable, I'll probably allow it)
    Races: All from PHB, EE, and SCAG. Variant humans and feats are allowed.
    Classes: All from PHB are allowed. UA allowed if I can find the source.
    Stats: Standard Array only
    Alignments: Any

A complete application will include:
    1. A mythweavers character sheet, with complete character details, including ideals, traits, flaws, bonds that are fleshed out and able to be put into the game.
    2. A background for your character. Who s/he is, where they come from, what their training was.
    3. Three goals of the character. One should be a major goal - something they want to accomplish that is very important to them. The other two should be minor goals, something they want to accomplish in the short/near term.
    4. A description of what kind of game focus you want. Tell me, in addition to the character's goals, what you want the focus of the story to be.

Recruitment will be open until Saturday, September 16. After that I will choose one player/character to start with. If you're not chosen for the pilot run, however, don't get rid of your character. If things go well, I will probably start a few more games, and will choose from those who applied here first.

Any questions, let me know. Looking forward to a fun game!

This... is very interesting. I'm not sure how well the changes in proficiency will go (might be rather overpowered at first glance), but I do like the idea of rewarding players for using specific skills and weapons more often. I'm definitely not a fan of the standard array, but the added bonuses at level 2 and 6, along with the extra feat at level 3 is really nice.

I don't expect to be picked, but I will definitely consider making a character. I've always wanted to run a monk character successfully, but I dunno if standard array will support that well enough for my tastes.

I'm thinking about a Sherlock Holmes-type character, interested in solving mysteries - criminal or otherwise - with wits, skills, and maybe a bit of magic, but with some combat skills if needed. Maybe a rogue, or a wizard of some type. You say SCAG races are allowed but don't mention classes - what about the bladesinger wizard or mastermind rogue?
    I'm not sure how to apply your house rules about proficiency, though. Do I go ahead and add the +2 for proficiency to skills and weapon/spell attacks, or just to attacks, or neither?

Classes are fine too Rellott. So long as I can get ahold of source material, I'll approve. So SCAG works here.

And for first level, add proficiency as normal to skills and attacks. Your character will start at level 1 using the stock 5e build for skills, attacks, spells, etc. The house rules will only kick in at level 2 depending on what skills are used.

And Don, I agree they may be overpowered, but my hope is that reduced party size (being consistently one character with a follower or two) will balance some of that out.
    Last edited by Armenias; 09-11-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Worked up a rogue - planning to take the Inquisitive archetype from UA.

Meet Lassiter Frye: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1330487

"Don't call me Lassie. I don't do nicknames - especially not that one. Nicknames imply that we're close, and close relationships cloud my judgement. I'm not in this to make friends or help people. That's just a side effect. I solve mysteries because I want to know. I can't stand not knowing. When I find a mystery I can't solve, I throw myself hard into something else - another mystery, if I'm lucky. Sometimes the ennui gets to me, and I have to placate my mind with drink or other substances. My job would probably be easier if I was a wizard or something, and just used spells to divine the answers, but where's the fun in that?
    I was born in the decent sized town of Bowlingreen to small-minded people. They were too preoccupied with families and friends and day-to-day living to appreciate all the knowledge and wonder they were missing out on. I spent every opportunity I could delving into books and exploring the world. My explorations and my applications of what I learned got me in trouble almost as often as it got me out of it. I learned how to slum it with riffraff and mingle with the high and mighty. Eventually I felt there wasn't any mystery left in Bowlingreen anymore, so I left. I moved to the massive city of Pern. I moved into a small apartment with the money I had saved from jobs I had done back home and that my parents had given me. (I think they were relieved at my decision to leave.) I hung a shingle that said Lassiter Frye, P.I.and waited. I didn't have to wait too long before the first knock came."

Goals----
    Long term: develop such a deep understanding of humanoid nature that I can predict crimes before they happen - better than a diviner can
    Mid term: be able to afford a better house, with a housekeeper and all my desired surroundings and tools
    Short term: develop a successful PI business

I'm looking for a game that includes mystery and puzzles, with some combat and RP thrown in to mix things up. Mostly within the city, but venturing out as I progress would be acceptable too. I want to be challenged a little bit as a player and get the most out of my character's intelligence score.

Throwing my Artificer into this. Had to back her down from level 13, as well as transfer her info from roll20, so it's kind of a skeleton format.

"Felix of Clan Montel! Nice to meet you, but I bet it's even better meeting me!"

Felix was born into a family which served a certain kingdom during war time. Her father was a renowned and genius artificer for the kingdom, and was given his own manor, as well as a portion of land in the kingdom for his inventions and contributions to their war efforts. But before long, it was reported that he stole something precious from the nobles of that particular kingdom and was hunted back to his manor. He fled, leaving the manor and the town to be over-run by enemy forces, his inventions disappeared and he was never heard from again. Felix remembers her father mustering up magic and throwing scraps of metal together before a door opened up and he rushed through. She remembered her mother yelling that he couldn't leave. That he was abandoning all of them. And then he was gone. Felix escaped the onslaught that came, but not her mother, nor her town. She had a protector, who was also lost to her. Of course, her hatred for her father burned deep, but over time, the pain dulled as she lost herself to her passion: alchemy. Amused and enticed by alchemy and artificers, she found herself to be of her father's ilk: a genius. She wanders the land, hoping to open an alchemy/artificer shop, and to become world-renowned. She hopes that her connections will lead her to her father, and she can get the closure she feels she deserves.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1136491

She's originally from Eberron, so if there are any discrepancies in the open world, I can change her up to match. That's provided you're interested in her.

As for goals, she's always wanted to kill her father for abandoning her family and her town. He's a powerful artificer who knows how to cross through realms of reality, so that's an end-game goal. A more persistent and short/medium term goal would be to be noticed as a grand artificer and open her own shop, in hopes of creating a philosopher's stone, the peak of all alchemy.

I like the idea of followers. In a campaign where she saved two tinkerers from becoming sacrifices, she asked them to work as her apprentices.

I'd like a role-play heavy campaign, where Felix's personality can shine through, as she's always been one of my stranger characters. Battles and adventure are immense fun to her, so fights would be wonderful as well. Anyway, simple enough for her goals. She wants to adventure. She wants to become well-known. She wants to show off her cunning and skills whenever possible. She wants to kill her father.
    salus interitus

Blog Entries

Too... many... interesting... games... can't... resist!

Both of these characters look great so far!

1. Paine

2.Born the daughter of an one time prominent Gladiator Clan Owner, the arena life was all she knew from an early age. Her educational years were spent watching other champions fight to the death, or a tiger fight a man for his next meal. She watched, she studied, and in secret she trained for fear her father would find out and disapprove. He had a mind to teach her proper and noble woman ways, but she wasnt having it. She would challenge boys to fights, and cheer and taunt to whip the crowd into a frenzy. Winning or losing was usually second priority to the cheers or jeers of those watching. By her 18 birthday she was already on of the best fighters she knew. On her 21st birthday her father surprised her by giving her his raiment from his days gone by in the arena. He had known all along that she was training, though he would of liked her to choose a different life. Now he is on his death bad and wants nothing more than to see her raise Clan Centurio to greatness.

3. -Raise Clan Centurio's fame until it is known worldwide, and grow it to a true gladiator legion
    -Find a master to train her even further, then with all she knows open a gladiator school within Clan Centurio.
    -Develop a personal relationship with father before he is gone and with other members of Clan Centurio.

4. As is probably guessed i would prefer most combat to be in an arena of some sort. Maybe travelling between cities to perform little arena cups with the intent for an invite to higher leagues. I also plan to utilize what her dad tried to teach her about high society so there will be plenty of social interactions.

About me: Hello, this will be my first attempt at playing a 5e game. I am a long time pathfinder player now and i hope i did everything correct. I love the concept of a 1 v 1 as it will be probably the best way to learn the game. I am in a spot of my life right now where i can be on daily for at least an hour, so frequency will not be an issue. Currently i am in 1 Pathfinder game as a secondary character. My post requirements within that game are every couple-few days, and am finishing up recruitment for a pbp i am planning to run. Thank you for the consideration.
    "My Jagan Eye may not be natural but it does give me exactly what I need."​

Yuna Lesca - Leaves for Trees

Tiz and her faithful partner Lightning - Ascendancy of the Marked(Luna Crew)

Blog Entries

I'll be posting my character shortly, just need to figure out spells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast