Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Agwe: Alone in the Woods

  1. #1

    Default Agwe: Alone in the Woods

    Your only other classmate in Natural Studies is Bronwen. The two of you meet at the edge of the woods, as instructed. Your teacher is a wiry old human man, his wild gray hair and beard streaked with brown. To his left are two rings of red mushrooms with white spots.

    "I plan to test your survival skills," the man tells you. "You will each step into a mushroom ring. The ring will transport you each to a different area in the academy's woods. I expect you to not perish, and to find your way back here before nightfall. The teleportation circles will only be active for five more minutes, so if you have any questions then ask them quick."

    "Your name?" Agwe asks with a bright smile, excited for what lies beyond. Were they going into the restricted zone? Unlikely, but that would be amazing. In truth, he wanted to learn more about the rings and how exactly they worked, but he figures he'd ask later. He was also caught off guard by their teacher's straightforward behavior--respectable! After hearing the professor's name, the Undine bows respectfully to Bronwen. "I would wish you luck, but I doubt you need it!" He laughs and steps into a circle.
    "Professor Tok," the old man says.

    "I wish you luck also," Bronwen tells you. She steps into her mushroom ring at the same time you step into yours. For a second, nothing happens. Bronwen turns to you and opens her mouth to say something. Then everything turns blurry and fades away.

    You find yourself in what looks like the same mushroom ring, but now you're surrounded by trees and ferns. You hear running water in the distance, somewhere to your left.

    (Roll a Perception check, please.)

  2. #2

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (d20+7) (16) [23]

  3. #3

    Default

    You notice a little brown bird in the trees. There are actually quite a few little brown birds flitting around, but this one in particular looks like it's watching you.

  4. #4

    Default

    A sense of curiosity and wariness grows within Agwe, yet he merely smiles up at the bird. He analyzes it, trying to determine if the bird are a unique species, as well as flicking his hand to cast Detect Magic.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKnowledge (Nature) - (d20+8) (7) [15]

  5. #5

    Default

    The bird looks like your average Brown Rock Chat. You know they're common in Meio and Rel. They usually live in rocky areas or old abandoned buildings, but you don't see either of those two things nearby.

    You don't sense any magic coming from the bird that's watching you, or from anything else in the vicinity.


  6. #6

    Default

    Satisfied, Agwe wastes no more time and begins his trek back, keeping an eye out for any familiar vegetation or landmarks he might have seen.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSurvival - (d20+9) (14) [23]

  7. #7

    Default

    Knowing that the school proper is to the southeast of the woods, you make your way in that direction. The bird follows, flying from branch to branch, always staying a few yards behind you. You don't recognize any of your surroundings from previous trips to the woods.

    After about half an hour of walking you find yourself at the top of a 50 ft precipice. Climbing down looks like it would be a difficult task. If you managed to get down, however, you would be able to walk on a wide dirt path that leads straight through the thick trees.

    To the north a few hundred yards is a gentler slope. It should be easy to walk down, but it takes you a while out of your way. Besides that, the slope seems to lead to a very unhealthy part of the forest. The trees there are bare and black, and you don't hear the normal animal sounds -birds chirping, rabbits running, etc.- coming from that area.

    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 09-06-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: wrong 'to'

  8. #8

    Default

    Agwe groans as he peers down the cliff. His skin prickles and his body shivers--there's no way he's climbing down with his weak noodle arms. He frowns at his alternative option, not at all pleased with the second most obvious death trap. He'd rather take a bunch of lacerations that he could heal and recover from compared to broken bones...or death. Taking a deep sigh, he decides to go down the gentle slope, growing cautious the closer he gets.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (d20+7) (11) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKnowledge (Nature) - (d20+8) (20) [28]

  9. #9

    Default

    The dead trees start about halfway down the slope. They're black and withered and dry. They look like they've been rotted from the inside out. While natural causes could be the reason for this, it looks more like the effects of a blight spell.

    By the look of things, the trees seem to have died at least a hundred years ago, so at least there isn't much danger of the rot spreading. It is odd that the trees are still here, though. Normally they would have decomposed and new trees and plants would have overtaken them by now. Then there's the strange lack of animals. Besides you, the only living creature approaching the dead forest is the bird that's been following you. Even it doesn't look happy to be near these withered trees.
    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 09-06-2017 at 03:40 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    "What has happened here..." Agwe mutters under his breath, pain in his voice. Where in the world was he? Was he truly still at the school? How could they have left this part of the woods like this...oceans deep, did they even know? The Undine gruglingly tries to navigate through, all the while paranoid of his surroundings. Authentic Forum Dice-rollSurvival - (d20+9) (1) [10]

    A blight spell... "Necromancy," he whispers under his breath with furrowed brows. His emotions swell, hesitation the greatest felt--he wasn't sure how to feel. It was not long ago when he did not judge the school for what it was...but now there was doubt. What he knew for sure, however, was that he was right: left unchecked, it only brought disaster. But does that make it bad...? All of the other schools are just as dangerous... He continues to ponder on the way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •