Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy: Dawn of Ivalice

Default Final Fantasy: Dawn of Ivalice

On Granseal: Little is known about the magical land of Granseal. It was long shrouded in mystery, hahahahah "shrouded". I find my choice of words humorous, for as far back as anyone knows, an invisible veil has covered the entire world. It rests in a static position some 200ft or so from every possible coast in what has been told to be a boxed shape. It prevents anything sentient or not from proceeding any further and has a perfectly reflective surface, so beyond the veil is unknown. In the 2000 rotations(years) of recorded history in Granseal, it has never been breached from either side, and has just become the widely accepted belief that it is in fact the edge of existence. Being a single landmass with only a massive crater now filled with water in the center creating official east/west borders, war has long since become a thing of the past. All races live in peace, assisting one another for the greater good of the world, all without the desire for self gain. It has been that way for generations now with only the oldest of lived races even recalling the times before, and just through stories at that. Their were still disagreements and arguing on an individual level but those were few and far between and usually the result of a lovers quarrel. There were no real dangers from the wilderness that were not average dangers, such as falling from a cliff or drowning. Some wild animals would defend themselves if threatened but it was almost unheard of for them to be aggressive otherwise. Until all of it changed.
    65 rotations into the rule of King Granseal a solar eclipse, the first of its kind, left the land in turmoil and chaos. It brought with it a host of both natural and unnatural disasters. To begin with Mount Magmageddon erupted in the southeast land of Zahan, for the first time ever. Then came the hurricanes from the north. While not a new occurrence, these were exceptionally strong. The water became so violent that tidal waves all but sank the southern region of Melmond, with now only its Mirage Tower, the top floors still above sea level. And an earthquake so strong that it cracked the land in the west, leaving Karnak in ruin. Shortly after the animals grew violent and began to change giving rise to what became known as fiends.
    The king of Granseal had a dream about how to save his kingdom. In this dream a voice told him to find those that carry the signs of the Zodiac, that appeared on individuals on the night of the eclipse. After 5 rotations of searching he finally gathered them all. Then for 10 more rotations he had them training, in total isolation from the outside world with a few masters. Together the group formed a tight bond. They became known as the Zodiac Braves, dropping their given names and instead adopting the name for their sign, they completed the training. After resting for 2 straight moons(days) they receive a summon from the King.
    -Excerpt from "The History of Ivalice"
    Historian Arazlam Durai

System: FFd20 (use the Pathfinder Experimental sheet, make it so you can understand as i know its not perfect for this game)Note: I will be printing out the legit FF sheets from that FFd20 and using those by hand since i like them but it cant be filled out online.(you could do the same for your own sake if you like obviously.
    Medium: pbp
    Frequency: I'm lax on this as we are all adults and thus have regular lives we are sometimes forced to live. As it happens i'm in the position right now where i can get on for about an hour, at the same time daily. I will respond to posts then and if you can get in a couple im more than happy to as well during that time.
    Consequences: Outside of an action scene, meh ill just continue with some other person until you can get on no biggie there. During an action scene i will give it approx. 48hrs(2 days based on when i get on myself) at which time i will PM the player in question. The following day i get on (now the 3rd day) i will have the next person proceed, at which point the char will be ghosted((lol not dead)) until that player returns. ((we are grown so you wont be getting pestered with massive inbox from me. but please if you have lost interest or simply lose time to play dont feel ashamed or bad about it just tell us. Thank you)) Characters leave in FF games all the time sooo. It is a small party campaign so if the character is essential for the scene then the remainder of the players may openly discuss tactics at their leisure in the OoC and puppet the players move. At which point it shows 12 days(same length as recruit and zodiac so seems fair) and neither I nor another player has heard from you then i will drop the player and recruit a new one.

Supplement: We will be utilizing the FFd20 for as much as possible. It is a little light on the bestiary so i will obviously be utilizing the pathfinder one as well. If a feat from Pathfinder(no 3rd party) works or we can easily make it work than we will use it.

House Rules:

Creation Rules:

Special Rules

Thank you everyone for understanding any restrictions that may not normally be in place from some GM's, This is my first attempt at running a pbp but with a little patience in the start and givin time to get some technical things down(this is my first attempt at both imbedding a picture and making a spoiler tag. lol) i promise you this game will be fun. If you want a jump on the other applicants read Rellotts Recruitment Strategies as i did right before this and pay special attention to numbers 7 and 9.

As this is meant to be fun for everyone i dont want anyone feeling uncomfortable. So if there are any limits or lines best left uncrossed the bottom of your application is the place to let that be known. I have people in my home group who are not comfortable with anything religious being in the game. They think Christ shouldnt have to compete even with fantasy deities. That is their personal belief and i respect them and try to alter my games to accommodate them. I personally dont ever see any reason to include rape. But let me know please. ((another common one is evils done to children bothers some people.))

I am looking for an easily managed size party for my first pbp as GM. As such i am limiting it to 4. I have a friend that i have tried to get into a game with a few times that will be placing an application here the same as everyone else. I feel it fair to inform everyone that Catsbirdi will most likely be accepted. (so essentially 3 more players)) Recruitment will remain open for 12 days.
    Accepted Players
    1. Catsbirdi (Libra)

2. AdAltiora (Aries)

3. Drew (Leo)

4. Kalizkan (Scorpio)

Last edited by Hiei; 09-13-2017 at 12:49 AM. Reason: basic grammer edits, added clarification on distance and starting gear, added which C. sheet to use,
    "My Jagan Eye may not be natural but it does give me exactly what I need."​

Yuna Lesca - Leaves for Trees

Tiz and her faithful partner Lightning - Ascendancy of the Marked(Luna Crew)

I'm not sure if I can complete agree with the fact that Pathfinder's traits wouldn't fit. Obviously you'd have trouble with the race and campaign traits, but those are rather specific for the most part: most of them are rather generic in design. I'm also not a big fan of both the 15 point limit and not being able to lower stats. Having a 20 point limit or the ability to lower stats would at least give us some extra leeway in terms of designing a character. It'd definitely give the mad characters a chance to see play, at least.

I can make a character work with those restrictions (even if my character is mostly based on movement and jumping, which isn't going to be supported as much with what I'm reading). However, what really sets me on the fence is that we have no control over backstory, and that we will have events happen to us that "cannot be altered or prevented." If I make a character, and I find that these events don't really mesh with how I envisioned that character, what am I supposed to do? Play a character I don't like now, or drop out? Both are very unappealing choice to me, and I think others might agree with me.

I'll still be watching, but I'm far more hesitant about what's presented to me than I was at the pitch.

I agree with DonJentleman on the traits actually. Perhaps it can be on a can-I-use-this-trait basis? The FFD20 traits are pretty sparse. Not having Traits to help balance that rough 15 point buy is a bit of a challenge.

Dibs on Capricorn!!

Still in progress but...
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1316285

Meet Aries, the Gria Dancer! Please let me know if anything is off. I changed out Weapon Familiarity for Desert Runner. Creating her concept was such a blast.
    Last edited by AdAltiora; 09-01-2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Completed sheet

I agree with the others as well. I'm rather puzzled over having no control over the backstory. That sets up a very large part (if not the entire part) as to how the character will be roleplayed. Like, for example, you roll up a paladin character (for example) envisioning him as someone like Batman. Then, the backstory and events and whatnot comes around, and it turns out his backstory instead sets him up as Dudley Do-Right. Would be really hard to play (much less enjoy) that character when you don't have a lot of control over that character. Sure, we can set the personality of the character, but the backstory lays the foundation for the personality. If we could maybe get some sort of idea as to what the possible backstories are? Or maybe a limitation/framework to work in with which to figure out how the character should come together.

With the ability scores, I can work a character with those restrictions, but like DonJentleman said, it makes it tricky.

EDIT: I'll still put together a character though, but would still like some clarification on the backstory bit.
    Last edited by BMR; 09-01-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Events happening out of your control, is part of the essence of console style RPG and Final Fantasy is no stranger to that.

Spoils within the tag for those that havent played through the games but intend to.

Uhm I never said that you would have no control over backstories, I said wait until after the prologue and we will be able to fully realize the backstories. And even then you are picking a Zodiac sign at creation so you do in fact havea form of control over them, Same as if I rolled an 11 sided dice and made a decision based on that, except im essentially letting you pick the number it lands on, You just dont know what the choice will result in yet.
    Im not sure where you are assuming "my char is based on moving and jumping, which isnt going to be supported as much with what im reading" since all i said about that were distances were being changed.
    I totally understand if the game isnt one you are interested in now since i laid out the rules(though i urged everyone in the interest check several times to not actually build a char but to just brainstorm ideas, and there were no mechanics laid out in the interest check so im not sure how whats presented would be disappointing from the pitch?), as this game prob isnt the best fit for everyone.

Edit: there is no need to roll for Gil as your starting gear will be provided(as stated in the bottom of the creation rules.)
    Last edited by Hiei; 09-06-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    "My Jagan Eye may not be natural but it does give me exactly what I need."​

Yuna Lesca - Leaves for Trees

Tiz and her faithful partner Lightning - Ascendancy of the Marked(Luna Crew)

Authentic Forum Dice-rollShiny Gil - (4d6*10) [180]

Edit: there is no need to roll for Gil as your starting gear will be provided(as stated in the bottom of the creation rules.)
    Makes sense if we are working for the king... but you did say we are pooling Gil so I assume we will need it in the prologue
    Last edited by CatsBirdi; 09-01-2017 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiei View Post
    I COMPLETELY misinterpreted that part, I understood the gear would be given but I didn't realize it included gold. I shouldn't have assumed, I apologize.

Though the Zodiac concept still scares me, it's new and heck, I'll give it a shot! Once I've added the personality I'll edit my first post with the sheet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast