Thread: What Virtual Tabletops Do You Use?

Default What Virtual Tabletops Do You Use?

What VTTs do you like to use? Which ones have you used before but no longer utilize? Why? What are some little-known VTTs you use or have heard of that you'd like the community to know about? What programs do you use for gaming that might not even qualify as a VTT?

Positive Rep awarded to anyone who submits an answer.

2. Default

I have used MapTool as well as Roll20 for VTTs in all the live games that I've been a part of. I think I heard someone mention something else once, but I forget what it was called. It was supposedly similar to MapTool though.

I wonder how many people actually visit this part of the site? I don't think I've seen more than a handful of names in this area in the entire time I've been a member.
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Sarya Valthana - level 2/2 "Dark Elf" Barbarian/Monk - All my Barbarians - GM - Bel
    Aleisandra - level 4 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros
    Mei Anskuld - level 15/5 Human Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric -Descent to Ascension - GM - theskyvalker

Other
    Lorelei Chaeran - level 2 High Elf Master Summoner - "Rookie Card" - GM - LakethePondling
    Caitria Drelwalsil - level 1 Kitsune Magus -The Fall of Melior - GM - Boethius

I've always been partial to MapTool. It's free, and and the ability to tinker with all those macros and stuff is really spiffy. Unfortunately though, haven't been able to use it all that much recently, as my old (physical) tabletop group is split up all over the world and we can never quite sync-up with one another :P
    ---

Being from the third world, BMR reserves the right to speak in the third person.

There's Maptool, and then there's everything else.

OpenRPG was a solid program in its day, and there was a time when it was really the only option out there. Unfortunately, development of OpenRPG was turned over to a person who won't be named, whose release strategy was "just compile it, upload it without testing, and let the users beta test, without telling them that's the case."

Roll20 seems nice, but you can't do the sort of things with its incredibly limited macro system that you can do with Maptool.

Quote Originally Posted by Faeryl View Post
    I have used MapTool as well as Roll20 for VTTs in all the live games that I've been a part of. I think I heard someone mention something else once, but I forget what it was called. It was supposedly similar to MapTool though.

I wonder how many people actually visit this part of the site? I don't think I've seen more than a handful of names in this area in the entire time I've been a member.
    Hey, it used to be a pretty happening place, like ten years ago.
    Last edited by Parliament; 08-21-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Ptolus Campaign Information

Blog Entries

I usually use Roll20. Seems the easiest one to pick up and custom macros look pretty. Though a few people I know use Dicecloud for their sheets even with roll20.

Also I've heard of Fantasy Grounds a few times but never used it. And then there were a few campaigns that used Pyromancers for maps... didn't work especially well.

I've only ever used Roll20. It was fun. We did Skype calls for voice chat during live games, and for Play by Post we just set up different threads for OOC, Freeform RP, etc.

7. Default

I've used roll20 for a good 10 different capaigns and two campaigns in maptool.

Roll20 does have an advanced script tool thingy but its limited to the paid accounts along with sight and a few other things.