Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

1. Default

Bjorn bows with respect to the field marshal, "Field Marshal Kroft may I speak frankly?"

Field Marshal Kroft leans back in her chain with an amused smile at the paladins polite inquiry, "Please do! I believe you have earned the right."
    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 10-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.

3. Default

Bjorn looks at the field marshal and with a formal tone he says, "Upon returning to the fortress to deliver the damning letters, we happen to witness many different crowds gathered around people who are spreading rumors about the queen and other theories. This could cause another riot if left unchecked. Any word on what actually happened with the king?" Bjorn than waits pensively in silence for the field marshals response

Field Marshal Kroft sighs as the tired look returns. "Yes, that is correct. Rumors are spreading like wildfire that the King was indeed assasinated, and that the assassin was a young artist, who was commissioned to paint his portrait. My sources tell me that the rumors are originating from the Queen herself. There is something not right here....If the queen had evidence that the King had been assassinated by this artist, she could have....should have....sent the Korvosan Guard to arrest the girl quietly and bring her in for questioning. By spreading - so far unsubstantiated - rumors, the only thing the Queen accomplishes is reigniting the riots all over the City!"

She looks at you thoughtfully, and now you can see that she is more than just tired - she is deeply worried. "To tell you the truth, I don't like where this is going. We've had word from the Castle that the Queen is not satisfied with how the Korvosan Guard is handling the situation in the City, and she is already preparing to dispand the Sable Company and reveal a newly founded order of specialized guards under her direct command to help bring order to the city. And at the same time, she is spreading rumors, which are bound to get the masses riled up? It doesn't take a wizard to figure this out.... The Queens men are already combing the City looking for the suspect - I fear for her life if they get to her first. Even if she is guilty, she deserves a fair trial. And if the Queens men find her first......Well, that will be the perfect opportunity for the Queen to take action against the Korvosan Guard, replace us with her own men and then she will have full control over the City..."

It is common knowledge that the Sable Company is a squad of hippogriff-mounted marines tasked with the defense of Korvosa against airborne or seaborne threats. For historical reasons, the company does not answer directly to the regent of Korvosa, but to the Seneschal of Korvosa, and their loyalty tends to lie with the city rather than the ruling house. The Sable Company has a very honorable reputation, and it is usually the childhood dream of every little Korvosan boy to grow up and become a heroic Sable Company ranger flying through the sky on their noble hippogriffs.

"Of course, we have Korvosan Guardsmen all over the City looking for the young artist, but they are also working overtime trying to restore order to the City. Say......I believe you have contacts on the streets.....people may be more willing to talk to you than to the official Guard.... Perhaps you will have a better chance of tracking her down and bringing her in for questioning? I cannot stress enough how important this is - not only for the girl's sake, but for the sake of the entire city! We have her name, but we do not know where to find her. Would you be willing to helps us with this? You have proven very dependable so far!"

Blog Entries

"We will look for the girl," Laera says. "You don't happen to know anything more about her? A description? A name? Her friends or contacts? Do we even know if she was a real artist, and if so, if she was attached to a studio or gallery?"

"I do have something that needs to be done first. Family business on my side. I'm not sure if the others will want to join but, I suspect they might. My father is quite well connected. Although there is some urgency to find the girl, the odds are she's well hidden or she's already captured or dead. So a few hours more probably won't matter much."

"Of course, assuming we find the girl, what can we expect for a reward?"

A look of great relief spreads across Field Marshal Krofts face and she nods, "Yes, we do have a name. For obvious reasons we would like to keep that as much a secret as possible - if her name spread through the streets, it would only be a matter of minutes before someone would find her and eke out the mob's 'justice'. This is also why my Guards have a hard time tracking her down. They are too well known - even in civilian clothing - so they cannot simply ask around for her. Someone would very quickly put two and two together. You on the other hand - your relationship to me is still unknown."

She takes a deep breath and bites her lip before continuing reluctantly. She knows she is taking a chance spreading this information, but she has to trust you. "Her name is Trinia Sabor. We have narrowed her down to somewhere in the Midlands district, but we do not know exactly where. She is a young human woman - little more than a girl, actually. She was not a particularly well known artist - so as far as we know, she is not attached to any studio or gallery - which is probably why we have been able to keep her identity a secret so far. We don't know how she came to be commissioned to paint the Kings portrait. My guess is your best bet is to use your contacts on the street and ask around for her - but quietly, so you don't arouse any suspicion."

"I understand if you have other matters to attend to as well - and I know that it is getting late, and that you have had a long day. But please do not tarry to long. I will offer you a reward of 1000 gold sails if you can deliver Trinia safe and sound to the Korvosan Guard. This is of great importance to the City - and to the Korvosan Guard - so I am willing to scrape the bottom of our coffers to get this done."

Blog Entries

"Very well, we'll look into this," Laera says, and she takes a bow as she looks at the Field Marshall.

Unless anyone has more questions to ask of the Field Marshall (please go ahead if you do!), Laera pulls the others aside and suggests that they go to the Enclave to spend the night, promising them comfortable sleeping accommodations and a hearty meal.

"Obviously, my father has a message for me... for us, I suppose, so it seems as good a place as any to spend the night. Then we can get onto other business, like tracking down this girl, in the morning."

Blog Entries

"Sounds like a good plan. I don't like the idea of the whole city being under this insane queen, so I'm going to ask around. Besides, who would I annoy if the Guard is disbanded? " Ino relaxes slightly at the idea of a warm, safe bed, and then tenses back up when she realized the whole place would be surrounded by elven nobles. But....soft bed. That convinces her to try it at least, but to take a few precautions at first. Like tripwires...

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Abberdaggus View Post
    Field Marshal Kroft sighs as the tired look returns. "Yes, that is correct. Rumors are spreading like wildfire that the King was indeed assasinated, and that the assassin was a young artist, who was commissioned to paint his portrait. My sources tell me that the rumors are originating from the Queen herself. There is something not right here....If the queen had evidence that the King had been assassinated by this artist, she could have....should have....sent the Korvosan Guard to arrest the girl quietly and bring her in for questioning. By spreading - so far unsubstantiated - rumors, the only thing the Queen accomplishes is reigniting the riots all over the City!"

She looks at you thoughtfully, and now you can see that she is more than just tired - she is deeply worried. "To tell you the truth, I don't like where this is going. We've had word from the Castle that the Queen is not satisfied with how the Korvosan Guard is handling the situation in the City, and she is already preparing to dispand the Sable Company and reveal a newly founded order of specialized guards under her direct command to help bring order to the city. And at the same time, she is spreading rumors, which are bound to get the masses riled up? It doesn't take a wizard to figure this out.... The Queens men are already combing the City looking for the suspect - I fear for her life if they get to her first. Even if she is guilty, she deserves a fair trial. And if the Queens men find her first......Well, that will be the perfect opportunity for the Queen to take action against the Korvosan Guard, replace us with her own men and then she will have full control over the City..."

It is common knowledge that the Sable Company is a squad of hippogriff-mounted marines tasked with the defense of Korvosa against airborne or seaborne threats. For historical reasons, the company does not answer directly to the regent of Korvosa, but to the Seneschal of Korvosa, and their loyalty tends to lie with the city rather than the ruling house. The Sable Company has a very honorable reputation, and it is usually the childhood dream of every little Korvosan boy to grow up and become a heroic Sable Company ranger flying through the sky on their noble hippogriffs.

"Of course, we have Korvosan Guardsmen all over the City looking for the young artist, but they are also working overtime trying to restore order to the City. Say......I believe you have contacts on the streets.....people may be more willing to talk to you than to the official Guard.... Perhaps you will have a better chance of tracking her down and bringing her in for questioning? I cannot stress enough how important this is - not only for the girl's sake, but for the sake of the entire city! We have her name, but we do not know where to find her. Would you be willing to helps us with this? You have proven very dependable so far!"
    Bjorn listens to all this and he is gets really suprised at the fact that queen would be quick to disband the Sable Company so quickly especially after the kings death. Bjorn has a suspicion that artist was not the assassin but rather might be scapegoat.
    "Aye Field Marshal Kroft we we will find this girl for you. With this imminent coup about to take place what shall happen to the Guard? Has this new military order been named and out on the streets yet? Where has this force come from out side of the city perhaps?"
    Bjorn seems a bit worried about the events that are about to unfold within the city.
    Last edited by Danseredp; 10-24-2019 at 06:02 AM.

"According to our sources, the Queen has formed a group, which she calls 'the Gray Maidens' - heavily armed, well trained and fiercely loyal to the Queen, and to her alone. So far they have take over security of the Castle. I have not yet heard any reports of them on the streets, but we believe it is only a matter of time. They are local people - in fact, the captain of the Gray Maidens is supposedly the Queens personal bodyguard, Sabina Merrin - she was one of Vencarlo Orisinis most prized pupils, until they had some falling out and parted as less than friends."

She rises to bid you farewell for now - once again thanks you for agreeing to take on this task.

You take your leave and make your way southwards towards the elven enclave in the South Shore district. This time, the elven guards recognise you at sight and let you into the embassy without delay. You do not see any signs of Laera's cousin - thank the gods for small blessings - instead, you are greeted by the personal secretary to Laeras father. He shows you into a relatively small chamber with four beds and begs your forgiveness several times for not being able to offer you more fitting accommodations. The embassy is full of guests and there are no more rooms to spare (you vaguely remember that this was also the reason for why you could not stay the last time you were here). Still, you have a bed and a safe place tp stay for the night. You are invited to have dinner with Laera's father, after you have had ample time to freshen up.

When dinner is served, you find yourselves alone in a dining room with only Laera's father (and a few waiters serving the food). Laera's father greets you all heartily and kisses his beloved daughter. He is nothing but friendliness and hospitality and he goes out of his way to small talk with each and every one of you, pretending to be deeply interested in your stories and backgrounds. It is a far cry from the last time you met him, and it is starting to get somewhat awkward and embarrassing, when he finally pushes back his plate and prepares to get down to business.

"As you may well know, we are housing guests here at the embassy for the time being - a delegation from the Shoanti tribe of the Skoan-Quah. Now, tensions between the Shoanti and Korvosa have simmered since the city's foundation some 300 years ago - this was Shoanti territory before the Chelaxians came to settle this shore after all - but in recent years, the Skoan-Quah tribe, led by a visionary spiritual leader known as Thousand Bones, has sought a more peaceful accord with Korvosa. Thousand Bones is here - now - staying at the embassy - as a peace-loving people we, elves have offered our services as a neutral mediator."

Laera's father pauses for a minute as he takes a sip of his wine - and to let the words of his selfless acts of servitude hang in the air for a while longer. Then he continues.

"Thousand Bones' mission is anything but easy. The peace talks have been planned for months, but just as the delegation arrived in Korvosa, the King dies and chaos breaks out!" - he almost sounds like he takes the Kings early demise as a personal insult - "The Korvosan government has all but shut down for now, and the Shoanti delegation was just about to break up and return to the Cinderlands, when a young member of the delegation - one of Thousand Bones' grand sons, no less - went missing! Now, Gaekhen is a brash youth and my guards tell me that he went alone into the City last night - '...to have some fun...', but he never came back. I fear for what happened to him - not just for the young mans sake, but also for the whole peace process between Korvosa and the Shoanti!"

As citizens of Korvosa, you know exactly the grave danger here: A large number of Korvosa's citizens are prejudiced against the Shoanti and see them as little more than violent barbarians. You can easily imagine how some of the more racist citizens and the quick-to-anger Shoanti youth could very easily end up in a brawl - especially in the current heated climate. Also, it doesn't take a political genius to figure out how a badly beaten - or perhaps even dead? - member of the diplomatic delegation could derail the fragile peace - no matter how reckless the young man was to venture out in the night on his own. Outright war is unlikely to break out, but it could jeopardize years of patient diplomatic work.

"Our elven guards have looked for him, but the people of Korvosa will not talk to them. The Korvosan Guard is too busy with maintaining order, so...well....you are literally my last hope. You know people in low places - I will ask to to please see if you can track down Gaekhen, and save the peace process."

I would seem that your street smarts are in high demand today...