Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 982

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

  1. #381
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,505
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ino sidles up to Softhands and nudges her as they walk away from the innkeeper.
    "Sooooo, how short are we on coin? Just curious, you know. I'll try to dig some up if we need more."


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    Bjorn tries to remain inconspicuous as he settles into the common room to listen to the street gossip - it is not easy, as the proud and charismatic stature of a champion of Iomedae is not often seen in this part of Korvosa. The locals cast long glances at him and for a moment the conversations are rather subdued. But eventually their need for gossiping overcomes their caution and Bjorn can pick out a few of the more or less fanciful claims. Not surprisingly, it all revolves around the kings death and the anarchy in the streets. At the next table an old geezer whispers conspiratorially to drinking buddy that "...king Eodred didn't die of old age! He was made sick and thus murdered by someone he trusted! My money's on the castle senechal, Neolandus. Why else would he flee Korvosa after Eodred's death?" to which his buddy replies with a dismissing wave of the hand, "Bah! you're full of crap, Korl, like always - He did die of old age, and those bloody anarchists in the street are just using the tragedy to damage Neolandus' - or Queen Ileosa's reputation and perpetuate unrest in the city". The rest is more of the same - conspiracy theories and predictions of impending doom. One thing is clear: the people are nervous about what will come and how all this will end.

    ((Note: There are copper pinch, silver shields, golden sails, and platinum crowns - no falcons. Prices for food and drinks follow standard prices))

  3. Default

    The alchemist looks around at the suite and nods satisfactorily. These will do nicely, Master Innkeeper, our thanks.

    Softahnds murmurs to Ino with a grimace, That's the last of my sails, anyway. We'll need to find a buyer to purchase these treasures. We can probably find someone in the bar who would be willing to part with some coin for such baubles.

    After responding to Ino, Softhands will try to remember if any of the less revolting skulks and fences from her time at Gaedren's might still be kicking around and willing to help turn these baubles into hard coin.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKnowledge Local - (1d20+5) [6]

    If not, she heads to the common room to see if anyone would be willing to trade coin for the teak box or ivory succubi statue, hoping the two curios might catch the eye of some buyer in the mix-and-match clientele of the Laughing Wave Inn.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy - (1d20+5) [8]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  4. #384
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,056
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Laera's not doing much aside from going to bed. However, she will appraise our items before the others try to sell or trade them, and then report the results to the others.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollappraisal with inspiration - (d20+4+d6) (3) (3) [10]

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,505
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    While Softhands goes her way Ino goes another, keeping an eye out for anyone she might know from the docks.

    Know (local)-Authentic Forum Dice-roll( d20+6 ) [12]

    If she see's someone she approaches with a cheery attitude and tries to sway them into buying one of the two available items, talking up the quality of the materials and the skill of the craftsmen that created them.

    Diplomacy-Authentic Forum Dice-roll( d20+5 ) [21]


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,217

    Default


    After having investigated the magical items, Laera picks up the artwork found in Gaedrens den to see if she can gauge their value. This is what her best guess looks like:
    • Teak cigar case with tiny bits of jade: 25 gp
    • 2-pund gold ingot: 100 gp
    • Miniature gold crown: 350 gp
    • Fist-sized scrimshaw carving: 200 gp
    • Silver ring - For Emmah: 150 gp
    • Ivory figurine of succubi: 225 gp
    • Holy symbol of Shelyn: 270 gp
    • Masterwork dagger shaped like a key: 750 g

    And finally the masterpiece of the collection: Laera estimates the queen's brooch to be worth no less than 2000 gp!
    ((Values added to the loot sheet))

    Softhands has no recollection of any fence from her days as part of Gaedrens gang, and nobody in the common room pays her any attention - they are here to gossip, not barter.

    Ino has much better luck - after all, relieving herself of items, which "happen" to come her way, is one of her specialties. She knows of a few shady types nearby, who is always open for business. The fence business is remarkably busy at this time - seems like everyone has something interesting to sell. With a bit of charming and sweet talking, she quickly unhands both of the two items she carried with her (at the price appraised by Laera). Not only that, she made a deal to return later that evening with any other of the interesting items, she would like to sell. With her pockets brimming with coin and a big smile on her face, she returns to the inn.

    ((Did I understand you correctly, that Ino wanted to sell the same two items that Softhands unsuccessfully tried to peddle, i.e. the teak box or ivory succubi statue?))

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,505
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ino makes her way back to the rooms, grinning as she hears the sweet sweet sound of coin jingling in her pockets. The beautiful moment has to end far to soon as she has to share the profits with the others in order to pay for rooms in the future. She walks into the room she finds the most people in and plonks two hundred and forty perfect gold coins on the nearest table.
    "Well that covers rent for the next few days at least! Anyone else do anything productive while I was gone?" The halfling asks in a pointedly smug fashion.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  8. Default

    Softhands' face explodes into a massive grim upon Ino's return, pockets full to bursting with coin. This was the first good news in days, the sails pouring onto the table the sound of hope and the buying of more time. She rushes the halfling and catches her in a brief hug before stepping back.

    Oh, well done! You've saved us once again! We haven't accomplished much except waste our time pretending to be the kind of people who can sell valuables at a moment's notice. So we've been about as successful as you can imagine.
    Sighing and shaking her head ruefully, she says Anyone for some dinner, now that we can afford it? We can have it brought to our suite and we can finish translating Gaedren's journal, letting Laera rest, and examining the rest of our haul. I wouldn't mind spending some time studying Zellara's Deck anyway.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 02-18-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  9. Default

    Softhands spends the evening studying the Harrow Deck, staring at the card she had been given - the Wanderer - the image that had started her down this path, trying to decipher the meaning within.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKnowledge - Arcana - (1d20+9) [11]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  10. #390
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Wealday, 23rd Gozran 4708 (Day 3)

    You spend the rest of the evening and night resting comfortably in your rented rooms studying, relaxing and laying plans. Softhands is not an expert in harrow readings, but touring the streets of Korvosa for years among local Varisians, you pick up a few pieces of the local lore. As far as Softhands recalls, the traditional interpretation of the Wanderer is "finding worth in cast-offs" or something like that. Of course, if it turns up in a reading, its precise meaning depends on exactly where the card is turned and how it interacts with other cards.

    You remain undisturbed until morning. Laera, make a DC 12 fort save to track the development of your disease.

    You have come together for a common purpose: to end the terror regime of the crime lord Gaedren Lamm. That goal has been accomplished, just as unrest has fallen upon the city with the death of the king. While there could be numerous paths to take at this moment, you found three items of special interest in Gaedrens dens, which might merit further investigation:
    • The ledger: Laera has successfully deciphered Gaedrens code and translated the ledger. While its contents has little interest for you, it might be more interesting for the Korvosan Guard, who could use it to tie up a large number of loose ends and help them prioritise their increasingly scarce resources at this trying time. They may even offer a reward for it?
    • The brooch: By a strike of luck, Gaedren came into possession of the Queens Brooch, a prized piece of jewellery belonging to the grieving Queen Ileosa herself. As Laera's father noted, she would probably very much like to have it back - perhaps enough to offer some kind of reward for it?
    • Zellaras Harrow Deck: The harrow deck possesses some powerful and mystical power, and while Laera's study of it has revealed some of its properties, it is clear that something more is hidden. And then there is the mystery of how you could have a live conversation (and harrow reading) with Zellara herself in her home just a few hours before finding her severed head in Gaedrens den, where it had been poorly preserved for days, if not weeks? Perhaps Zellaras home will reveal clues to uncover some of the mystery?


    Looking out through the cracks of the boarded windows, you find the streets like yesterday: largely calm, but with the tensions running thick just beneath the surface, ready to break out in chaos at a moment's notice.

    So where to go?
    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 02-19-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •