Page 30 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 904

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

  1. #291
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,133

    Default XP

    Each of you receive 1305 XP for
    • Bloo: 35
    • Yargin: 100
    • Hookshanks: 100
    • Giggles: 100
    • Bypassing the critters in Krakens Folly: 100
    • Gaedren: 150
    • Gobblegut: 150
    • Saving 5 kids from Gaedren
    • Storyline award - Clearing Gaedrens den: 400

  2. #292
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Oh, forgot this before, but before Laera opens the lockbox, she puts her lips to Gaedren's ears and whisper quietly to him, "Tell me what you know, you wretched beast." Then she casts the Grave Words cantrip on him. [Best cantrip ever, IMO!]

    After listening to him babble, trying to make sense of anything that he just said, she opens the lockbox and shares reveals the findings to the others in the group, carefully taking notes on everything they found.

    Then:
    (a) she casts detect magic
    (b) Authentic Forum Dice-rollknowledge arcana with inspiration - (d20+d6+8) (5) (5) [18] on anything that appears magical.
    (c) She doesn't recognize the brooch at first (not trained in nobility... yet), but takes careful note of it, drawing a picture carefully in her journal, so she can investigate it later. However, Authentic Forum Dice-rollknowledge local in case that helps her get any info on the brooch, perhaps to recognize whether it is the symbol of any of the local houses - (d20+d6+8) (13) (5) [26]
    (d) Authentic Forum Dice-rollknowledge local about anyone named Emmah - (d20+d6+8) (12) (6) [26]

    (e) she makes notes to herself in her journal about things she needs to do tonight, including: (1) mending her net with the mending cantrip, (2) investigating the book further, and (3) investigating the amulet further, (4) appraising the items more carefully. [note: this last item is mostly for me to remember]

  3. Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

    There's a lot going on, and John is only half paying attention until a voice responds to his requests for quickness. He's still not familiar enough to know everyone by the sound of their voice but in his current state it doesn't matter - he's still bleeding, it's probably past his bedtime and his socks are wet from walking down under the docks. There is nothing worse than wet socks.

    "Horses would be better to hold than this wound in my gut! Just empty his pockets and search his room, grab what you can see and we can talk about it somewhere less... incriminating.'' 'kids these days... no respect for their elders.

    With that last bit of grumpiness John begins to make his way back to the front of the building. Once up top with everyone else, he will offer his place as a debriefing room since there will be no one else there.

  4. #294
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    It is a quite disturbing sight when Gaedren starts babbling at Laeras command. It is not easy to determine whether his words are just random nonsense or if there is actually a hidden message within. With his raspy voice, he says, "Yargin walks over the grave of toads speckled with golden dust under the red moon!" An evil chuckle suddenly turns into a sneer as he continues, "Catch the little rascal who delivered the queen's brooch - feed him to Gobblegut before he can talk! There is a sweet smell of burning spider kidneys on the menu tonight...." His voice slowly trails away as the magic dissipates and leaves the corpse silent once more.

    Whether you investigate the items here or carry them to a safer place to examine them more closely, Laera detects several magical auras. Eventually, with enough study, you determine that the following items are magical:
    • Dagger - faint transmutation
    • Padded armor - faint abjuration
    • Glass tube with liquid - faint transmutation
    • Crystalline vial with silvery liquid - faint transmutation
    • Obsidian stick (wand) - faint evocation
    • Zellaras harrow deck - moderate aura, school undetermined


    Laera doesn't recognize the symbolism of the brooch, but she is sure that it is local to Korvosa - the housedrake and imp dualism is a common theme in Korvosan art (indeed, fierce battles between housedrakes and imps escaped from the Academae are sometimes seen in the sky above Korvosa). Also, this is not an item that a mere commoner could ever hope to wear.

    Emmah is a fairly common Chelish name in Korvosa - finding a specific Emmah will most likely be a very difficult task.

  5. Default

    Bjorn is shocked to see Gaedren to speak after he killed him he. Stabs Gaedren once more to ensure he is dead. As Bjorn stabs Gaedren again he says, "By Iomedea will you not die you vile retch." Bjorn will look at all the stuff that was presented from opening the of the lock box. Bjorn then suggests that the gold that was found in the lock box be used to properly bury the head to the rightful temple. Bjorn will than go over to John and offer some sort of assistance. As for the cards being transparent he will be very confused and perplexed as well. He feels that he is being tested by his god. He shall pray and meditate over this later. ((If Bjorn is shown any of the objects he will cast detect evil on them.))

    Hp roll Authentic Forum Dice-rollhp - (1d10+1) [8]

  6. #296
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,476
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ino looks close to tears as the corpse starts to speak, spewing forth all kinds of information. Unable to handle the magical weirdness any longer she follows John as fast as she can without actually running the man over. She marches with her head down and face partially covered by her hair only to mumble something to John and stop at the nearest window to keep watch for anyone that might have heard anything and was coming to investigate.

    Perception-Authentic Forum Dice-roll( d20+4 ) [22]


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  7. #297
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Watching Bjorn's blade slide into Gaedren's body, she looks up at the human and says. "He's already dead. No need to kill him again. It's just... bodies sometimes have thoughts stuck inside them. I... err... have ways to release those thoughts sometimes. Perhaps there's something to this boy who delivered the queen's brooch, if we can find him."

    As she helps sort through the Gaedren's belongings, she looks at the others and says. "Perhaps we should take the night to collect our thoughts and investigate these items more closely. I have some reading that I'd like to do. Let's leave this wretched place and the stink of fish. Then tomorrow... well, we should choose a place and a time to meet. We've clearly been lied to in some form, so we need to come up with a place. I suppose we could look for the false Zellara tomorrow, although that might be difficult to do. She said she would keep track of us, so I feel like we may meet her again, whoever she is."
    Last edited by ifreedman; 01-02-2018 at 02:00 AM.

  8. #298
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    You gather all the items of interest you have found and leave the den of the decrepit crimelord behind. The second you step off the deck of Krakens Folly and make it onto the boardwalk leading to the shore, you can tell that something is terribly wrong!

    The day is slowly turning into evening, and in the gathering dusk, there is a flickering golden glow over various parts of the city - the smell of smoke confirms that what you see is the glare of fires burning all over the city. The frantic clang of alarm bells sing out in harmony with a multifarious cacophony of screams, the clash of steel on steel, shrieks of terror and even the periodic detonation of arcane power. In the streets, bands of looters run around, crashing through doors, smashing windows and carry away anything of value.

    As you set foot back on the docks, a wing of Sable Company hippogriff riders - the heroic band of airborn rangers protecting the city - swoops overhead, angling towards Castle Korvosa at a breakneck pace. One of the badly wounded hippogriff mounts rains blood down on the street around you before it succumbs and crashes headlong into a the wall of a nearby warehouse, taking its rider and itself to a messy bone-crunching demise. Seconds later, a hoard of ragged commoners fall on the body of the ranger like a flock of vultures, screaming and fighting amongst each other for a piece of anything of value that the ranger could be carrying. The others in the flight do not pause to check on their fallen ally, but hurry along towards the Castle and their duty to protect the royal household.

    Amd the chaos, the voice of a Korvosan herald cuts through the din: "THE KING IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!" only to be shouted down by ragged cries of "HANG THE QUEEN!" and "THE USURPER MUST DIE!".

    The city itself has gone completely mad!

    Common knowledge:
    As citizens of Korvosa, you all know of the "curse of the crimson throne", a common urban legend, according to which, no king of Korvosa will ever bear any children to inherit the throne or live to become old and die of natural causes. The Curse, it would seem, has yet again become reality. It was only a few years ago that the king took Ileosa as his queen - a beautiful girl of 17. Korvosa's citizens have never taken to the new queen, who is widely regarded as nothing but a gold-digger, and the feeling is rumored to be mutual - according to the talk of the street, the queen has been heard calling the city "a backwater colonial village" and worse. Now that the king has died without an heir, this unloved queen has risen to the throne - and the city does not approve!

  9. Default

    Softhands follows her companions back to the front of the warehouse, contemplating all that had happened. In particular, she found herself puzzling over the Harrow Deck in her hands, shuffling them over and over and over. While the cards flashed, her thoughts turned to the interesting mixtures and liquids found within Gaedren's stash. What could they be? Did they have medicinal value? Could she plumb their secrets and turn them to healing the sick and the downtrodden of this city?

    As they emerge into the unfolding chaos, she breathes sharply in through gritted teeth. The violent explosion they were witnessing was the result of too much pain bottle up for too long. She couldn't help but pity those who turned to rioting and looting in these instances. When had the King and his nubile Queen done anything for the common Korvosan? When had the Sable Company last rescued the enslaved? When had the priests in their golden temples last made an effort to lift the children oppressed by the likes of Gaedren out of their penury?

    "The children! My lab!" Softhands exclaims after a moment. "I must go! Let us meet at Zellara's home tomorrow, I trust we all remember where it was? I must needs see to our rescued charges...is anyone else heading back to Old Korvosa?"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  10. #300
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "Aw, curse the gods. Not again, damn stupid humans," Laera mutters at seeing the chaos. Then she pauses, thinking for a moment, wondering if she should head south. "I wonder if I should..." she mutters, but then she shakes her head and mumbled a curse under her breath.

    "I'll walk with you," Laera says to Softhands. "Probably better to get home and off the streets as quickly as we can. Maybe we can spend a few minutes at your lab, looking over the items we found."

    She's going to take as much of the loot that the others allow her to take, so she can spend some time looking it over tonight.

Page 30 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •