Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 882

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

  1. #841
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "I'd like to go to the Marshall as fast as possible- I really don't like walking around with stuff like that" She looks at the letters. "And it's better to get it off of our hands as soon as we can..............and then I want a drink....or three." She looks at her hands, still trembling from the adrenaline of the knife fight, and clenches them into fists as she lets out a sigh. She loved the rush from stealing things or getting away, the rush from a fright was a different kind, and more desperate. Which was why she preferred to throw rocks at people instead of stab them.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    With the incriminating letters burning in your pocket, you decide that the best course of action is probably to return to Field Marshal Kroft at the Citadel to complete your mission. You get the sense that powerful political forces are in motion behind the scene, stirred up by - and perhaps even connected to - the untimely demise of the city's monarch. Somehow - out of a sense of duty to your home city or by the lure of handsome rewards or perhaps even glory - you have become involved.

    Citadel Volshyenek watches over the southern part of the harbour, so once more you have to traverse most of the city to get from where you are to your destination. You cross the Narrows from Old Korvosa into North Point over one of the countless makeshift bridges. This is a much nicer part of town than old Korvosa - not exactly rich or fashionable, but decent and relatively peaceful. It is also the city's main administrative and municipal district (government services are mostly closed to the public at the moment, though).

    You are chatting along about Inos heroic knife fight, Softhands' creative distraction and Laeras buzz-induced ravings. You are feeling a little giddy - not from the intoxicating fumes, but from the feeling of having braved great danger and still managed to complete your task. You notice Laera getting quiet and keep looking over her shoulder. What starts as a small tingling in the back of her neck slowly grows to certainty: You are being followed! You can't really see who it is - when you quickly turn your head and look back, all you see is an illusive shadow ducking into an alley or disappearing into the crowds on the street. But you are quite certain that someone has taken an interest in you. You are not getting the sense of any immediate danger, though - there are ordinary people on the streets and the Korvosan Guard never seems to be far away.

    What do you do?

  3. #843
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,738
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "Someone's following us," Laera whispers to the others. "The letter -- we dare not risk losing it. I'm also quite tired -- if someone is trying to pick a fight, I'm not sure how much use I'll be. But I have an idea... is there a crowded square somewhere around here. Someplace where we can possibly lose our tail? If so, I can create a distraction to help us escape unnoticed."

  4. #844
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    It is not difficult to find a somewhat crowded area. In fact, as you pass the crumbling remains of the old walls by Scrapper Hall (around G7 on the map), you find yourselves in a relatively large crowd of people. They seem to be somewhat agitated (though not in a hostile way) and as you start to intermingle with the crowd, you pick up fragments of what the people are so wrought up about: Apparently, the Queen has confirmed tha the King was poisoned, and the Guard has identified the King's murderer. According the the rumors spreading through the crowd as wildfire, a young artist - little more than a girl - is supposedly responsible. The talk varies as rumors tend to do: Some people claim that the Guard has this artist locked up and is wringing written confessions out of her as we speak - others say that the assailant is still on the lose, and that she may strike again!

    The excitement ripling through the crowd could be the perfect opportunity Laera is looking for...

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,738
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "Shall we escape, or shall we try to corner or capture our follower?" Laera whispers to the others.

  6. Default

    Previously

    Softhands bows to Barvasi and shoots him a wink before leaving. Appreciate the offer, Lord Spider, but I'm a little short on coin at the moment. Who knew a little paper could be so dear, eh? In any case, I shall remember your little lovelies and return if I come into a little more wealth. Turning back to her companions, she throws an arm around Laera and steadies her as they leave Eel's End and the docks with their skin unbroken.

    -----

    Now

    The half-elf narrows her eyes, trying to catch sight of the shadow they had picked up. Despite everything that had happened - and was happening - she didn't feel unsafe just yet. Still high on adrenaline (and maybe on something else that had been floating around), Softhands grips her crossbow's stock, the leather of her gloves creaking.

    I'm done running and sneaking about. Let's see who's trying to follow us. Do what you need to do and we'll come down hard on our little sneak.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  7. #847
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    As far as you can tell, your shadow is still on your tail, but it is hard to get a firm fix on it. The crowds are getting thicker at this point and their discussions seems to be heating up a bit. People are pushing and shoving to get into position to better hear the gossip spreading and at some point in the crowd, you can hear some voices start getting louder and more emotional. There seems to be two opinions forming: one insisting on the young artist identified as the King's murderer facing justice and the other one still maintaining the belief that the unpopular queen is responsible and that the artist is simply a scapegoat. This could get ugly...

    You can still find your way around the outskirts of the crowd and avoid most of the commotion. On the other hand, it might prove difficult for your shadow to stay on your tail, if you choose to dive deeper into the crowd...

  8. #848
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    1,738
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "If we want to capture him, perhaps we need some trickery?" Laera suggests.

    She explains that maybe they use the crowds to keep him (or her) at a distance, but not to lose him completely. Then we can duck into an alley, again without losing him. We can hide. Laera can cast obscuring mists to make the alley foggy. And then when the tail is trying to find us, we jump him & try to capture him.

    OOC: not sure obscuring mist it totally necessary, but it might help.
    Laera also has a net and manacles in case that helps.

    "Thoughts?"

  9. #849
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    The area beyond the crowd has Midland on the right and West Docks on the left, so there will be plenty of dark and narrow alleys to duck into. Also, although the weather is fair at the moment, West Docks is close to the river and it is getting late in the afternoon, so nobody would think it strange if a sudden gust of fog rolls in from the riverside. So the scene is ready for whatever you choose to do.

  10. #850
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "​I can duck off to the side and jump them when they follow us into one of those alleys." Ino suggests. "With all the people moving around they probably won't even notice me leaving the rest of you!"


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •