Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [5E] Legacy's Wake

Default [5E] Legacy's Wake

Legacy's Wake

The Pitch (from the back cover):
    Create a Legacy

On Rooftops and Rope Bridges
    Explore the City of Skyfall in the way it was meant to be seen: scuttling over rooftops, sprinting across rope bridges, and leaping across ship's rigging with only your wit and skill keeping you from losing your fortune in the dark waters below.

Magic and Machine
    From airships to salver golems, discover the unique and sometimes unwise blend of old magic and new power hidden away in the bustling cavern that houses Skyfall.

From Low to High
    Experience a story that will take you from the dregs of society to its highest reaches. Fight your way through the Lightless Depths, across the City of Skyfall, to the the Throne of Creation in the Godspeak Mountains, and back again.

Storytelling & Mechanics
    Explore new and exciting methods of playing the game you've loved for decades. Create your legacy through skill of arms, arcane might, or sheer bloody-handed ruthlessness. The choice is yours...

That's the Publisher's Pitch. Here's what you need to know. The party will be heroic rogues (not the class). By that I mean, you're willing to lie, cheat, and steal, but you want the person to deserve it. You don't go burning down orphanages for fun. You may be a thief, but you have some kind of honor. You can come from any walk of life, but you’re now down on your luck and willing to get your hands dirty to get a leg up. You all will already have some form of relationship with one another at the beginning of the adventure, but you can wait until the game begins to sort that out.

Legacy's Wake is an adventure path published by MithrilPunk. The adventure starts at 3rd level and should end around 15.

If you would like more background on the setting, you can read the Traveler’s Guide here (https://mithrilpunk.com/wp-content/u...to-Skyfall.pdf)

System: D&D 5e
    Medium: PbP
    Rate of post: 1/day M-F (you’re free to do do more if you can, see Discord note below)
    If the game is stalled waiting on a post for more than 24 hours, then I'll NPC your character
    Looking for 3-5 players
    Characters start at level 3

Supplemental programs: Discord, Roll20 if we end up using battlemaps

Here is the biggest houserule for this game. This adventure path has a separate Player's Guide (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...oes-of-Skyfall) that includes new races, a new archetype for each class in the game, a completely new class, new feats and new spells. If I don't use these options now, they'll probably never see any use. So, for this game, you MUST choose one of the character class archetypes from this supplement or the new class. The other options are available, but not required. I do not expect anyone to purchase the supplement (though it’s cool and well worth your money), but if you choose to take that step of faith to purchase the supplement then I will give you two benefits. The first is that you will have access to the unique background system that the guide provides and may use it for your character. The second is that I will guarantee you a spot in the game. I am not affiliated with the publisher. I don’t make a penny if you buy the book, but I like the publisher and want to support them.

Races: PHB races (including Human variant) only w/three additional racial options unique to the setting available.

Classes: This is the biggest houserule for this game. This adventure path has a separate Player's Guide (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...oes-of-Skyfall) that includes a new archetype for each class in the game, a completely new class, new feats and new spells. If I don't use them now, they'll probably never see any use. So, for this game, you MUST choose one of the character options from this supplement. I do not expect anyone to purchase the supplement (though it’s cool and apparently on sale at the moment). I will provide screenshots for up to three class options for each person interested. Here's a short summary of the options:

Stats: Standard Array

HP: Max 1st level, may choose to roll or take average afterwards. If rolled, must be taken.

House Rules:

A completed application will have a full character sheet and a short character background.

Thanks for reading and considering playing!
    Last edited by Matthan; 08-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.

2. Default

Wow. This sounds pretty cool! Kind of reminds me of Eberron. I don't have the money to get the PDF until Friday unfortunately. I also have never used Discord before though I'm willing to try it out.

A Tattooed Mage or a Troll-Blooded Anchor Chained sound like a ton of fun! I assume there is a bit more to each archetype than what you typed but so far looks awesome.

I wish I knew the city/world a bit better so I could craft a good background but I will give it a shot regardless.

Last edited by ignuspyre; 08-13-2017 at 04:33 AM.

3. Default

I will need some time before I can start working on a character for this since I need to first restore my regular posting rate for all of my other games this coming week. I can come up with something by next weekend or so. If you've enough players by then, I understand, but if not, I would love to give this a spin as I stated in the interest check.

Quote Originally Posted by ignuspyre View Post
    Wow. This sounds pretty cool! Kind of reminds me of Eberron. I don't have the money to get the PDF until Friday unfortunately. I also have never used Discord before though I'm willing to try it out.

A Tattooed Mage or a Troll-Blooded Anchor Chained sound like a ton of fun! I assume there is a bit more to each archetype than what you typed but so far looks awesome.

I wish I knew the city/world a bit better so I could craft a good background but I will give it a shot regardless.

The anchor chain is not considered a heavy weapon as written. It is considered a unique weapon in terms of proficiency. The Anchor Chain archetype provides proficiency but other characters would not be proficient in it even if they were proficient in martial weapons. It would function fine with the Great Weapon Fighting style, but I think you may be interested in the Great Weapon Master feat which requires a heavy weapon. If that's a path you're interested in, I think we could figure out a way to make the Anchor Chain into a heavy weapon. I don't think it would break anything, and we could figure out an in game cost (probably similar to how the rules already allow you to customize the weapon).

The archetypes have full write ups. I just don't want to post the entirety of the material since I don't own it. The content linked should be enough to build a character, but I also have the full writeups that I can share if it helps someone plan. I'm going to go ahead an PM you the writeups for the Tattooed Mage and Anchor Chained. If nothing else, when the game begins, I will make sure every player has the entirety of what they need for their class and character.

For the world/city, there is a brief setting pdf linked in the post. Not everyone likes just reading straight setting material though. As we play, I will make sure that the players are brought up to speed as we go much like a novel builds its world through the characters engaging with it. One thing that I enjoy doing as a DM though is helping stitch your background into the adventure to give you opportunities to already have relationships and hooks. If you would like after you pick which class option you're interested in, I would be happy to help on the background if that interests you.

*edit* I missed two points. No rush on the pdf. It's an optional purchase, but if you enjoy reading D&D material (especially crunch) it's a great buy with a lot of cool ideas. Discord is pretty straightforward. The biggest gain to it is that it's free and people can join without providing an email address or phone number. I believe I can even add a dice roller to it. I'm 80% sure at least. I'm still working on that.
    Last edited by Matthan; 08-13-2017 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theskyvalker View Post
    I will need some time before I can start working on a character for this since I need to first restore my regular posting rate for all of my other games this coming week. I can come up with something by next weekend or so. If you've enough players by then, I understand, but if not, I would love to give this a spin as I stated in the interest check.
    That sounds good. I was going to let it run for a week regardless. I'm just happy to see folks interested!

Seems interesting, I'm always a fan of new races to see what lore I can explore with them. I appears we've got bug people and rat people, though perhaps a step or two away from the Skaven I enjoy, I'll see what I can conjure up once I've actually woken up and got my head on straight.

Edit: Just gonna mention, going to aiming at a Flit Bard, because Flits sound adorable.
    Last edited by Grensen; 08-13-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    -Active- Misanthropic Scientist of Scrapworld: Bernadina Vernaric

By rolling through the guild and district backgrounds I've ended up with something that could be rather depressing if realized. Since I did Guild and District I'll need to roll wealth to buy equipment with.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollWealth - (5d4) (2, 1, 1, 3, 3) [10]
    -Active- Misanthropic Scientist of Scrapworld: Bernadina Vernaric

8. Default

This sounds interesting. Some questions:
    Is this an adventure path, or a World where you have made a homebrew game?
    Are the players starting at lvl 1?
    Could I see some more of the monk tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    This sounds interesting. Some questions:
    Is this an adventure path, or a World where you have made a homebrew game?
    Are the players starting at lvl 1?
    Could I see some more of the monk tradition?
    Man, I had two or three versions of this ad. I can't believe I forgot to mention starting level. Start at level 3.

It is an adventure path. Your starting point is down on your luck and willing to get hands dirty for a leg up. Any backgrounds need to end at that point.

I'll PM you a link to the full monk when I get home (unless my phone comes through for me in which case you'll get it sooner.).

10. Default

Thanks for the link. The thrid lvl power seems quite odd as it uses an action and not a bonus action. Seems not made for a monk

Edit: I have now read the monk tradition, and i still find the first power you get odd. It does not fall in with the other tradition powers, that either gives you more str, or boosts your speed aka enhances you physically. Why would a monk want to use both an action and 2 ki points to cast semi useful spells?

that is just weird. I should have given you something more in the way of using the power of water to either make on fall prone, or be incapacitated some how.
    Last edited by Entangled; 08-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast