Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1101

Thread: ToD Episode 5: Shadows on the Trail

  1. #1081
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,996

    Default ToD Episode 5: Shadows on the Trail

    Illimistra canít discern a definite cause behind Eliaís snubbing of the food. Perhaps she already ate, or didnít like what was being served?

    ďLetís hope fortune continues to favor us, Mal.Ē
    She makes a quick gesture that you and Vala both recognize as a question about trust and a safe place to disclose information. She doesnít know if she can trust everyone present, and is checking with you.



    Come join us on Discord!

  2. #1082

    Default

    Vala looks around her, the people sitting at her table.
    Every single one of them was was a proven ally & friend.
    All except the 2 elves. Her eyes stop for a bit on Elia, and her gaze goes all over her with unparalleled scrutiny,
    making the elf a bit uncomfortable. It was not the stare Vala used last night on the waitress at that first inn.
    It was the look that Vala got when she was trying to measure up a possible enemy.
    But if Remalia trusted her, then most likely Elia already knew what the information was.
    Assuming that there were no curious (towards their table) bystanders, Vala nods for Remalia to continue.


  3. #1083
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    "For starters, we want to thank you for tracking the cult this far. We've got eyes on them now, while they're in the city, so you can rest easy for a bit. By way of saying thanks, we want you to have this..." She reaches into a small bag by her side, and removes a large ruby... too large to have fit inside the bag. She hands it to Vala, who estimates it to be worth about 1200 gp.

    Then she continues... "And you and Mal can both consider yourselves promoted. Congratulations, harpshadows." She looks at the others assembled: "I'm sure anyone you're associated with will be pleased with your work so far as well, but it's not in my power to reward you on their behalf."

    Settling in to share a lot with you, she says, "But to the business at hand: we don't think Waterdeep is their final destination. They're gearing up to keep heading north with their spoils, and we still aren't sure where they're taking it or exactly what they're going to do with it when it gets there. If you haven't already learned it from someone else, the group you've been tracking isn't the only group. They've been raiding all along the Sword Coast and slowly funneling toward the Mere of Dead Men. We lose track of them there every time."

    She takes a drink then continues. "I'm sure you noticed that the black half-dragon stayed in a nice manor last night... The owner of that manor also has business interests along the High Road, that heads to Neverwinter. He deals in construction, and Lord Neverember has contracted him - among others - to assist in the reconstruction of the road. A new batch of workers are needed, and will be leaving out in the next day or two. We think the cultists will be posing as workers and joining that group. We need you to go as well to follow the hoard and find out where it's going - don't interfere or draw attention to yourself more than necessary to track it. It shouldn't be hard for you to be hired as guards again, especially if any of you can pull some strings with the Lords Alliance. The caravan operates on behalf of the High Road Charter Company, a consortium partnered with Lord Neverember. It will be led by a man named Ardred Briferhew. He's a good man, but not one of us. You can rely on him, but don't trust this information to him - who knows how he would react."

    She pauses to let you digest, while she also digests some of the sausage in front of her. "Any questions?"



    Come join us on Discord!

  4. #1084

    Default

    "I will take care of any dealings with the Lord's Alliance," Ignatius speaks up for the first time in awhile. "As soon as they hear what you've told us, they'll be sure to get us involved and back on the cultist's trail. And on the matters of secrecy... we know to keep our mouths shut on matters like these."

  5. #1085

    Default

    Vala accepts the gem and hides it in her backpack as soon as she realizes it's value.
    "Seems straightforward enough. Wait for a couple of days while they prepare to leave, having the time to prepare ourselves and have some
    so much needed rest & fun. Meanwhile, we secure our spot as builders so we can follow the cult & their hoard, maybe learning more in the process.
    We will try our best not to be discovered, obviously, but i can't promise that we won't interfere if we find ourselves in danger.
    Is there a prearranged way of contact back our findings while on the road? It wouldn't be wise for us to return here if we have the opportunity
    to keep following and learn more."
    Vala replies, reciting facts with almost military precision. She was a woman of few words, but when
    she was talking about a job, the more she knew the better.
    "And.." Vala starts but hesitates for a moment.
    "If the Open Lord is in business with the man that invited the lieutenant of the cult in his house.. what that tell us about the first?" Vala asks.


  6. Default

    "I'm sure the Open Lord has connections in all sorts of places, not all of them savory", Grim assesses. "A man in his position would be unwise to restrict his network so. Keeping enemies closer is a good strategy and allows us this information that we can now capitalize on."

    He looks towards the newcomers and says, "So, we find Andred and get hired as guards or builders. It is good to have a clear direction of what to do next. The Platinum Dragon has answered my prayers. This is a good omen and bodes well for our mission, I feel."

  7. #1087
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    Elia smiles at Grim as he finishes speaking.

    Remalia squints a little as if in thought, then nods her head. "It is unlikely Lord Neverember is aware of this man's associations. He is far too busy spending Waterdeep's money on Neverwinter to pay too close attention to details like that. As for contact... Can none of you cast a spell of Sending? That is the easiest way. Otherwise, pursue the information until it is either death to pursue it further or until you are relieved, and send messages as the opportunity arises. That is how it is usually done. It results in slower spread of information, but it also keeps us safe. You should know from your inquiry into the woman in Parnast that it takes time to pass messages."
    Last edited by Rellott; 12-02-2018 at 11:41 AM.



    Come join us on Discord!

  8. #1088

    Default

    Vala momentarily looses her cool in the mention of her past inquiry, but gathers herself back instantly.
    "Yes.. i guess so." She says and quickly changes subject.
    "While we are in town, we are going to be in need of supplies, be that mundane, of magical nature or just information and rarities that can't be found in a normal shop.
    I guess there must be a large list of places we could visit, but i see it unwise to spend your time at the moment when you most likely have other business to attend to.
    There should be a base of opperations in Waterdeep, but my yesterday search for it seemed to luck in results.
    Where can i find you, later in the day, to have a talk that wouldn't be of any interest to an uninitiated?"
    Vala asks.


  9. #1089
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    "You can find me at Ulbrinter Villa, in the North Ward, on Delzorin Street," Remalia says. "There are a plethora of shops with both mundane, magical, and curious wares for sale here in Waterdeep, though being able to find the right shop for a particular and unusual need can be quite difficult without a quite intimate knowledge of the city. If there is something particular you're looking for and need to find it today, I may be of some assistance now, but you are correct that I have other business to attend to soon."



    Come join us on Discord!

  10. #1090

    Default

    "Well.." Vala starts.. "i'd have to have a talk with my group here, and prepare a list of their shopping wishes.
    After that is done, and assuming you have the time, or someone trusted who can show me around,
    I'd like to visit the market to prepare for what is to come. You could even give us a heads up of what we are most likely
    to encounter, as we have no great knowledge of what Mere of Dead Men or the High Road , not to mention the immediate
    regions beyond or around them. It would be sad if we find ourselves in .. lets say a swamp, without an insect repellent."

    Vala says, cracking a smile at that last phrase, and leaning a bit closer to the elf she whispers..
    "And if you are unavailable, maybe someone from the ranks, could explain the new duties & the privileges that come with our promotion."
    Last edited by Kerilstrasz; 12-03-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •