Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1101

Thread: ToD Episode 5: Shadows on the Trail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,979

    Default ToD Episode 5: Shadows on the Trail

    The River Chionthar flows from the Sunset Mountains, past Iriaebor and the northern edge of the Greenfields, then north past Berdusk to Scornubel and the Reaching Woods before veering west, where it passes Elturel, Fort Morninglord, and finally Baldur's Gate before emptying into the Sea of Swords. It is one of five rivers to divide the Sword Coast - the other four, moving from south to north, being the Winding Water, the Delimbyr River, the Dessarin River, and the River Mirar

    Rivers serve as major tradeways, but they aren't the only ones. A number of major roads also cross the Sword Coast, mostly running north-south, in contrast to the rivers' tendency to run east-west. One of these is the Coast Way, which runs north along the coast - surprise surprise - from Amn to Baldur's Gate, and then further on through the Fields of the Dead and the Trollclaws until it meets the Trade Way along the southern edge of the High Moor, a few miles south of the allegedly haunted Dragonspear Castle.

    The Trade Way runs from the Greenfields in the south up past Berdusk and Scornubel, past Triel and Soubar, past the High Moor and Daggerford, to Waterdeep, where it splits to become the High Road and the Long Road - the first leading past the mining down of Leilon before passing through Neverwinter on its way to Luskan, and the second passing through Amphail, Red Larch, Westbridge, Triboar, and Longsaddle as it cuts through the Dessarin Valley amid the Sword Mountains before finally skirting the Lurkwood and crossing the Crags on its way to Mirabar.

    But you... You are just outside of Baldur's Gate, on the path leading through the Outer City and past Little Calimshan on its way from the River Chionthar to the gate into the Lower City. You have just witnessed the passing of a covered palanquin borne by four men, while more guards and attendants were arranged around it - some clearing a path through the rabble on the streets. Inside the palanquin was the black half-dragon that Grim, Vala, and Illimistra recognize as having been present in the cultists' camp. There is no one performing such rabble-clearing duties for you, so following or catching the palanquin, should you wish to do so, may prove difficult.

    What do you want to do?



    Come join us on Discord!

  2. Default

    Grim will once again rely on nature and enlist the aid of his avian friends to keep a bird's eye view on the one-of-a-kind procession so that they don't lose track of it. They might not be able to keep it in sight at all times, but they can probably ensure that they are able to follow behind them. They wouldn't want to get too close to it before they reach their destination anyway.

  3. #3

    Default

    "Of all the bloody timing..." Riglin mutters to himself, using his rather small size to start slipping through the crowd. "Really, this is the worst time for them to show up." As he tries to keep pace with the procession, he focuses on a spell, trying to pry into the thought of the black half dragon. If he can keep pace, Riglin will grow rather audacious and push even deeper, spurred on by his faith to seek out the truth.

    Casting Detect Thoughts, as well as trying to keep at least 30 feet from the black half dragon. If Riglin can focus on on the rider in the palaquin long enough, he'll try to probe deep into their thoughts, using the natural 1 from Portent for the opposed save
    https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/detect-thoughts
    Last edited by DonJentleman; 07-19-2017 at 03:03 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    "I take it that's part of our dragon cult?" Mal will whisper to the others, before adding, "I think I have a trick that may help out here..." Mal will then step up and fall in behind the palanquin, using his Mask of Many Faces to don the guise of one of the attendants around the procession, and proceeds to busily mimic their actions to avoid drawing attention to himself. He keeps an eye out for Grim's birds overhead and Riglin off to the side, to hopefully make sure he doesn't get too far in over his head.
    --------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5

    Default

    Vala, witnessing the new addition to her team going in, she immediately looks around her for the rest of her team.
    With subtle gestures, nods & touches, she draws their attention and starts gesturing a way of action.
    "Grim & Riglin are to follow Mal from safe distance.. Illimistra & Vala will split and each one will take the adjustment road left & right,
    following the palanquin from distance.."
    She then reveals the edge of her communication stone under armor, indicating that they will keep in touch and inform each other,
    as to where the palanquin is heading and anything else might come into their attention.
    After all, it is highly unlikely for the caravan to leave if (one of) their leader is in town.

    ((OOC: For some reason, my 1st thought was to see if the Dragonborn (what's her name) is going to stay here,
    and if yes, Vala could disguise into a wealthy spoiled girl, who wants to escape her father's clutches and join the cult.
    That way she would probably gain an audience (and an opportunity) with the dragonborn. ))


  6. #6

    Default

    Illimistra will not speak, but if following is to be done, she will move from shadow to shadow as best she can, following the procession at a distance of no more than 45 feet.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,979

    Default ToD Episode 5: Shadows on the Trail

    Riglin is unable to cast the spell, as he is only able to see the half-dragon for a moment and by the time he realizes how he recognizes her she is no longer visible to target with the spell.

    It is difficult to actually follow without drawing attention to yourselves. After a while, one of the guards seems to notice you all shoving through the crowds after them, and warns the half-dragon ((which is not the same thing as a dragonborn)). They then speed up.

    Looks like we've got ourselves a city chase! Roll initiative!



    Come join us on Discord!


  8. #9

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiatve Check - (1d20+4) (16) [20]

  9. #10

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiative - (1d20+4) [24]



Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •