Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119
Results 1,181 to 1,185 of 1185

Thread: Chapter Two: Appetite for Destruction

Default Chapter Two: Appetite for Destruction

While waiting for everyone receiving their farewells, Hakon steps aside to talk to Svidhogg who is still upset for not getting his bounty hunter meal as promised earlier. “What do you mean I don’t get to eat my dinner?!” He protests.

“They are going to let Arod go.“ Hakon replies just as frustrated as his briny companion. An audible grunt of disapproval comes from the Dragon. “In exchange for his life or imprisonment, Ulvenn needs his skills to find someone.” Hakon adds. “Apparently he has ties to an organization that would grant him information to find this person.”

“You’re going to let Ulvenn let Arod go?! After what he and his group did to you?” Svidhogg argues. “What about the others? Please say that they will be dealt with by the local government. Are your new companions making you soft?” Hakon hears a spectral echo filled with the same frustration from the spirits of his dead comrades. Surely they would not have aloud such a offense go unanswered.

“There are bigger games being played here. Games that call for tactical precision. We cannot succumb to immediate restitution and vengeance. Those will come, and to the ones who deserve it. I promise you friends, I will help your souls get peace and insure that you have a seat at the table in Valhalla. But for now we must play our enemies to our advantages, so we can win the end game.” Hakon insures his comrades.

Svidhogg waits patiently watching Hakon appear to be arguing with himself. Although he has been with Hakon long enough to know about his secret; spirits of fallen comrades that haunt him. When Hakon finishes, like a child waiting for a lull in an argument between parents, he asks for a treat. “What about the quickling they call Frick? Surly he can be executed by Dragon.” Svidhogg adds with a coy smirk but Hakon remains silent and walks past him back to the group. Svidhogg will just have to go without for the time being. He knows he will soon have to go back to that coral prison once the group begin making their way to the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-09-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added bold

Blog Entries

Back at the inn, the halfling grabs a chair and sits quietly. Sometimes, it is time to do nothing. It requires more effort than what one would expect! In a reverie after a couple of minutes, her mind-palace slowly materialises before her mind's' eye, full with domes and minarets. "Rhodal sure is nice... I wonder if he charmed me into liking him..."
    She'll strike conversation with anyone addressing her, though. Unless she falls asleep first, that is. Rhodal's stuff was good, filling food.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    Back at the inn, the halfling grabs a chair and sits quietly. Sometimes, it is time to do nothing. It requires more effort than what one would expect! In a reverie after a couple of minutes, her mind-palace slowly materialises before her mind's' eye, full with domes and minarets. "Rhodal sure is nice... I wonder if he charmed me into liking him..."
    She'll strike conversation with anyone addressing her, though. Unless she falls asleep first, that is. Rhodal's stuff was good, filling food.

As though summoned by her thoughts the bard himself approaches and takes the chair next to her. He has shed his gnome-ish disguise and his eyes are very intent upon hers. "There is a very minor talent I have in the company of a special lady like you," he begins modestly. "It allows me to show her what I see when I look at her, more deeply than a mirror's reflection could manage." With a murmur of a spell he conjures an illusory blossom hovering between them the exact shade of Lucianna's hair as he perceives it.

"Your hair is like a bronze amaryllis, the flower of 'bold splendor' that defies the late frost shackles of winter to proclaim the reign of spring."

He waits for her reaction to this description not only of one aspect of her beauty, but of her character. That is the trick---a flower that matches the lady in question in both shade and temperament. "Please do not think I am such a fool as to try flirtation with someone so much younger. I wish not only to offer you a compliment, but to give you an impression so memorable that if anyone were to repeat those words to you, you would know they carried a message from me. Do you understand?"

OOC:

Rhodal's love of cloak and dagger continues. By the by I am nearly finished writing the contents of the envelope he gave Lucianna, so anytime you want to open it go ahead...

Blog Entries

Lucianna covers her lips with the fingertips of both hands, flattered. No amount of flirtation would have been so effective in gaining her favour. Somehow star-struck, she nods. "Yes, I understand. Thank you, Rhodal. You are... so kind." She gives him a peck in the cheek. "Excuse me." She'll then go to the room she spent the night in to open her gifts, and the envelope.
    Last edited by Alcazar QZR; 03-19-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Default A Bard's Farewells

Very touched by her gesture, the frail minstrel places his fingers over the spot graced by the lass's impulsive kiss. He stands and sweeps as graceful a bow to Lucianna's retreat as his protesting old back can manage.

Then Rhodal seeks out Hakon and sits down with him. "It has been my great pleasure and honor to travel with you these last few months and learn some of your homeland's epics and songs. It is a poor trade I think, but I would like to leave you with something. There are a few bardic scrolls that were taken from me by Arod which you should have recovered, and one final Storvish song from my youth I would teach you. Performed just right, it will put a spring in your steps and your companions' for the hour you need extra speed the most."

The half-elf minstrel describes his four missing bardic scrolls he wants Hakon to find and keep: one for conjuring a haunting mist full of restless spirits to taunt one's pursuers, one for about five minutes of total invisibility, and two that create a strident sonic scream useful for plowing through a tight press of people or enemies in your way while making yourself heard over any din they create.

Then he carefully recites an old Storvish marching chant several times until he is satisfied Hakon can repeat it on cue without missing a beat.

‘Tis not a drill, we march before
    Your daggers and swaggers and awful roar!
    This shout be our trumpet while boots do drum
    ‘THE COMPANY'S COMING, PA-RAM-PA-PUM!

We’ll hold the line ‘gainst any foe,
    Our loyal faith and truth to show!

Proud banner rattling in the winds
    With naked blades to claim your skins!

His eyes twinkle as he stares into the fire Tamsa just kindled in the tavern grate, caught up in a heroic vision. "I wish I could reclaim my youth a second time and ride forth with you, Hakon. If the gods are kind, then words of your great deeds will reach my ears before I must beat my final marching rhythm to the Grey Lady's Gate."

The bard winks at the skald and claps a hand on his shoulder. He pronounces with the bright earnestness of a seer disclosing the deepest secrets of his listener's heart, "But we know better than to put more faith in the gods's initiative than our own, do we not, lad? Are they not so busy with the stumbling faithful and in-fighting and holding their tenuous intrigues together that with our own deeds must write our own stories to be sung? And so you shall, with your own Company, you shall!"

OOC:

@MT: Please add these bard scrolls to your inventory:

Level Two bard spell scroll of haunting mist
    (Level 2 spell, cost 150 gp)

Level Two spell scroll invisibility

Level Two bard spell scroll sonic scream (2 scrolls)

And please add this Bardic Performance (really a bardic "masterpiece" from Ultimate Magic) to your sheet, for free? (Bypassing the usual cost of a Feat or spell slot.)

EDIT: Apologies to Robert Burns for cannibalizing the Scottish poem/tune "The Campbells Are Coming" (and possibly to the author of the "The Little Drummer Boy" too).
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-19-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added scroll details, fixed spacing