Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacements for Tyranny of Dragons Campaign (5e)

Default Replacements for Tyranny of Dragons Campaign (5e)

Tyranny of Dragons Campaign
    2 Supplemental Players Needed

Format & System:
    Play-by-post. D&D 5th Edition. Combat is mostly theater of the mind, though we have used Roll20 (with images from the program posted in-thread occasionally as reference for those who do not/cannot access Roll20) for some overview maps of dungeons and other highly-detailed areas.

What to do if you want to join:
    Read the rest of this post to ensure your interest and understanding of the campaign and your responsibilities as a player. [Asking questions that are already answered in this post indicates to me that you might not be a good fit for my campaign.] Roll in this thread for anything that needs rolling (ability scores, gold, hit points, trinkets, etc.). Post character sheets and/or background stories in this thread. Only send things to me in a PM if it regards some sort of secret about your character.

List of Completed Applications:
    Ra-Thalun - plans to take over Fade, drow monk, way of shadow
    LordJeb - Svarn, wood elf rogue (assassin) 3/fighter 2
    Severalis - Mal Veryth, half-elf warlock (hexblade, blade pact)
    Berenion - Arche, halfling rogue (assassin)

Overview:

This is the first official published campaign by WotC for D&D 5e. We have already begun with Hoard of the Dragon Queen and will continue into Rise of Tiamat.

What seems at the beginning to be organized banditry unfolds into a world-shaking event, with you and your companions right in the middle of it all! This adventure is set primarily in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms. However, I am not thoroughly familiar with the Realms and their lore, and I am more concerned with having fun than maintaining authenticity.

The campaign as-written spans from level 1 through to at least level 15. I have already begun to tweak the adventures some to allow for further advancement. We are using a milestone leveling system rather than XP (less paperwork and bookkeeping = more fun for me!) I will also be tweaking the campaign to create what I believe will be a more interesting and engaging world and story (also grittier than the adventure as written).

This campaign has elements to satisfy pretty much any player preference. There are plenty of combat, role-playing, puzzles, etc. I do my best as DM to accommodate if the group wants to go off the “rails” of the published campaign, but that creates more work for me and will slow the pace of the game down.

Below is a link to our forum if you would like to browse what has already happened. Please do not post in our forum unless/until you are invited to join our group.
    http://thetangledweb.net/forums/foru...agons-Campaign

We also have a campaign log in a Google Doc to give a quick overview and serve as an ongoing reference. Here is the link to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.5w43fiy5hbmm

Party Size and Selection:
    We are in need of 2 more players who will complement our current roster. I will take applications until Saturday, April 22 at 12 PM (Eastern Time zone).

I will select the player based on completion and accuracy of their character sheet, how thorough and story-connected their character background story is, and party make-up. I will keep the names of those who apply but do not get an invitation in case a player disappears or drops out – you will then be first on the list of replacements. The party recently lost the players of a drow way of shadow monk and a high elf paladin of Correlon. If you are interested in picking up one of these abandoned characters, let me know. Here are their most recent character sheets:
    Female Drow Monk, LN, Way of Shadow: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=148245
    Androgynous high elf Paladin, CG, Oath of the Ancients, worships Corellon: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=107565

Our current roster that you will be joining:
    Male human (variant) Cleric, NG, nature domain, worships Bahamut
    Female human (variant) Fighter, CN, Battlemaster, DEX-based/ranged
    Male forest gnome Wizard, LN, divination school

Character Creation:

What I and your fellow players expect from you:
    Commitment – This is a full campaign. It will likely take a long time to complete (even longer than it’s taking you to read my whole post!). We have been playing since early June of 2015 and are only in the middle of Episode 4 out of at maybe 16 episodes (that will likely get progressively longer). If you are not reasonably confident you can stick around for that long, you should not apply for this game. A consistent group of companions allows for better storytelling and builds a stronger sense of unity and accomplishment among the characters and players, making things more fun for everyone. We began with 7 players and are down to two originals and one who joined the game in Episode 3. We’re not looking for more people to introduce and then swiftly get rid of because they quit.

Posting – We expect you to post in keeping with the pace of the game. If you are in a busy season or will be unavailable for a few days, we expect you to let us know so that we’re not wondering what happened to you and so that we can make reasonable adjustments to the pace of the game. If you will be unavailable for an extended period of time, either I or one of the other players will temporarily take control of your character until you return (you should feel free to designate who you would like to play your character in this circumstance). If you know that you will have frequent long-term absences, you should not apply for this game. If you have frequent short-term disappearances that you don’t inform us of ahead of time, or you disappear for an extended period of time with no notice, I may begin searching for your replacement. On the other side of things, we also expect you not to hog the spotlight. If I see that you are dominating the group’s decisions and interactions, I may ask you to wait and allow others to participate – if you want a one-player adventure game, there are lots available on PC and consoles.

Conduct – We expect you to post and behave in a way that is respectful to others. I am not opposed to this adventure veering occasionally into more mature content and/or language, but please be mindful of your fellow players’ comfort with this. I have already made this a gritty-ish campaign, but there are numerous ways to convey mature ideas and feelings without being crass, and we are taking advantage of those. From the other side of things, we expect you to tell us (either in OOC chat or in a PM to me) if you are uncomfortable with the content or language of your fellow players’ posts (or mine). We want you to have fun, and silent discomfort is not fun.

If you have any questions that I have not answered above, or if you need any guidance in creating a character for 5e, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I look forward to meeting your characters and leading you through what will hopefully be the most epic adventure of your life.
    Last edited by Rellott; 04-22-2017 at 01:16 AM.

I would gladly pick up either of the abandoned PCs, Rellott. I'll take either one, though I'd rather have the monk, as I haven't gotten to play one in 5e yet. Let me know what you think. Either way, hope you all continue to have a great game!

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-thalun View Post
    I would gladly pick up either of the abandoned PCs, Rellott. I'll take either one, though I'd rather have the monk, as I haven't gotten to play one in 5e yet. Let me know what you think. Either way, hope you all continue to have a great game!
    In that case, since you don't need to create a character sheet, your application will take the form of an in-character journal entry from Fade's (the monk's) point of view, reflecting on the recent events (from Episode 4, post #289 to the end) and planning next steps for herself and the group. You would also need to make a copy of the character sheet so that you have editing privileges - feel free to rearrange some of the text entries to suit your organizational preference.

Blog Entries

Hi Rellott!

I have 2 questions before I start thinking about this:
    1. Do people who chose to play the two abandoned characters get priority over new characters?
    2. If multiple people chose to pick up the abandoned characters how will you decide who gets to play them?

Quote Originally Posted by Berenion View Post
    Hi Rellott!

I have 2 questions before I start thinking about this:
    1. Do people who chose to play the two abandoned characters get priority over new characters?
    2. If multiple people chose to pick up the abandoned characters how will you decide who gets to play them?
    1. No, they do not get priority.
    2. I responded to Ra-thalun's inquiry above about how to apply as one of the abandoned characters. I will evaluate between their provided journal entries if multiple applicants want to take on one of the previously-existing characters.

Hey there! I'm interested in making a character for this. I'm trying to figure out a semi-front line character to help pick up the slack from losing your Paladin (either EK, Bladelock, or a different Paladin). I just wanted to check two items to help me narrow things down: are dragonborn considered monstrous? And are UA articles allowed for character creation?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Characters:

Stephen Black - PoTA
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=659259

Mal Veryth - Tyranny of Dragons
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=663685

Dragonborn are not monstrous. I was referring to some of the races presented in Volo's Guide and specifically called out as "monstrous", like orc, goblin, etc.
    I'd need to take a look over the UA article and I would reserve the right to make changes later if something seems ridiculously broken/abused, but most UA material I've looked at in-depth seemed fine.

Ok cool. I'm not 100% decided on race/class combo yet, i just wanted to check before I start narrowing things down. The UA would likely be the newest Warlock one (Hexblade).
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Characters:

Stephen Black - PoTA
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=659259

Mal Veryth - Tyranny of Dragons
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=663685

Quote Originally Posted by Severalis View Post
    Ok cool. I'm not 100% decided on race/class combo yet, i just wanted to check before I start narrowing things down. The UA would likely be the newest Warlock one (Hexblade).
    I'm actually playing one of those right now, so I'm fine with that one.

Totally interested in playing a Rogue/Assassin for this campaign.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (6, 3, 2, 4) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (3, 6, 5, 5) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (3, 3, 2, 2) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (3, 2, 4, 6) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (3, 5, 2, 4) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAbility score - (4d6rb3) (4, 3, 4, 5) [13]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollHit points - (1d8) (1) [1]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHit points - (1d8) (3) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHit points - (1d8) (3) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHit points - (1d10) (7) [7]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast