Page 2 of 214 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic Station

Quote Originally Posted by malk0lm View Post
    One thing I would like to mention regarding these "butterflies"...

It may appear from time to time that the narrative has moved forward or that the thing you wanted to post is no longer relevant. Or that perhaps my responses may cut off certain possible chains of events, I would say that you should not be afraid of making an in character post to shift the narrative back a bit.

I'm not sure about umi, but I think of the IC posts as a bit of a braid. Sometimes I'll try to weave my character or story points in between the paragraphs of your posts and hope that when read together they provide a greater picture of the whole. This may seem a little awkward at first because my initial tendency (when I first joined the game) was to only post things that were forward in time, but feel free to skip around in the time line a bit if it helps with the development of your character. If some things need to be retconned then lets work that out if it makes sense to do so.
    In general agreement with Malk0lm
    My opinion on "braiding":
    Permissible
    Encouraged if it makes it easier for you to post
    Would prefer linear posts as much as possible
    Hopeful goal: eventually unbraid all narrative posts

Umi,

When we "head up the Yu", do we walk? Or can Nox contract with a ferry or other transport?
    Options
    Walk, take Magpie Street for first leg
    Walk, through countryside (may inadvertently trespass in settled country)
    Look to buy mounts before setting out
    Look for barge service up to First Port (may not be available due to time of day or sept occupation)
    Other options possible

We have a bit of a conundrum. Nox is using his light for Rampart. Mar'ro is attempting to camouflage everyone, however if the light goes out Rampart will be able to see less.

Umi, what is the best configuration for the group to have high passive perception while still making sure that everyone can see, while still getting the maximum benefits of Mar'ro's spells?

Should Nox extinguish his light?
    High Passive Perception requires effective light source
    Low-light and normal vision equally disadvantaged in full nighttime darkness
    But traveling with light: very likely to be spotted first, unless other party also lit

Ritual: adds to Stealth Checks; penalty for tracking attempts
    Traveling with light: usually disallows Stealth Checks
    Still useful for tracking penalty

Personal recommendation: travel in daylight

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Or will the light be camouflaged with everyone else? Is there enough light by the moon and stars for Rampart to move with us?
    Moon in last quarter I think = effective darkness
    Will double-check when I get back

As implied earlier: light not hidden

Moving in effective darkness: difficult and/or dangerous + disadvantageous
    However, it can be attempted: details later

Combat in effective darkness: very dangerous on first round

Realized calling Panic Station "discussion" actually shorthand for "discussion and game mechanics"

Prefer keeping game mechanics here vs. narrative thread.

No requirement to move previously posted game mechanics, but would prefer any game mechanics mentioned in narrative to also be mentioned in Panic Station
    Reason: easier for me to keep track @ Panic Station

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Options
    Look for barge service up to First Port (may not be available due to time of day or sept occupation)
    Other options possible
    time frame of current travel depends on option selected

Personal opinion: if still interested in conducting ritual, go ahead and start making any necessary rolls + adjustments to character sheet

No need to immediately decide yet, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Options
    Other options possible
    Outline of Procedures

Active start of adventure so far
    Very pleased
    This post may facilitate ongoing activity in long posting period

First, confirm consensus on initial activity

Walking
    Establish direction and/or route
    Time scale: hours to days

Common schedule:
    5 hours travel
    1 hour rest
    5 hours travel
    13 hours rest, setting watch, dealing with camp activities, etc

Traveling, hunting, adventuring, or other strenuous activity longer than 10 hours a day risks fatigue
    Fatigue bad, can last longer than a day

Finer details of travel will be discussed next posting period.

Buy Mounts
    Byswell Town or nearby caravanserai
    May need to wait until daylight
    Search for a seller using Streetwise
    A PC may either search or Aid one other search.
    Time scale: minutes to hours

Barge Service
    At Foamy Dock in Merchants' Course.
    Streetwise as above
    Mediated by time of day
    May run into trouble from septsfolk
    May also find boat transport elsewhere along river
    Time scale: minutes to hours

Procedures aren't set in stone especially if unusual methods are employed.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 10-23-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Reminder regarding fourth edition D&D skill checks
    Unlike attack rolls
    Natural 1 on d20 is usually not automatic failure or fumble
    Natural 20 on d20 is usually not automatic or "critical" success.
    Will try to explicitly state any exceptions to the above

9. Default

Allow me to synthesize and translate:

The Bone Lancers are not law-bringers so much as they are a contract military force. The serve at the will of the Imperial Cult and Star Council. My (Malk0lm) experience with them has been as a omnipotent force that swoops in to clean up a mess, even though myself or Nox have never witnessed this. This would be akin to CONCORD in EVE, or the Kunie Clan in Log Horizon. This is a long hand way of saying: They bring the pain.

For posting, as I might have guessed, Umi is not a fan of the interleaving of posts as they oscillate back in forth in the timeline. In practice I think this will lead to slightly longer posting times as we wait for each other's characters to respond before we make another post taking further actions. On the plus side this will lead to a more linear story and probably easier bookkeeping for Umi. In my posts, I will be sure to wait for each character to have their say before proposing something or attempting to move on.

As for the travel options. I say we look for barge service first. However, if that is not possible; we are here, we are (soon to be) cloaked. Then we should head up Magpie Street or through the countryside directly adjacent to Magpie Street and then search for barge service when it gets lighter.

In full nighttime darkness and without a light, we won't be able to travel very well. If we are walking on Magpie Street, then we there should be nothing to fear. We are not breaking any laws. We can travel with Nox's full light, Akos can keep watch, and Mar'ro can hide in the bushes as a rearguard or trailer if that makes him more comfortable. If something happens, we will be spotted because of the lack of stealth, but hopefully we will have high enough perception to see something amiss. I'm willing to take the risk, and not just because I have a bunch of level 8 skills that I haven't tried out yet.

It may not be immediately clear (or maybe I'm just dense), but in Post 15 Umi is reiterating that the Panic Station thread is the place for die rolls, not the IC thread. Also, comments and questions related to rituals, powers and other game minutia should be put in here. The IC thread should just be for story dialog and prose.

Finally, post 17, the meat and potatoes! If we search for a barge, we walk to Foamy Dock, and make a Streetwise check to find someone to hire. Nox's Streetwise is +7 if anyone's is better they should make the check and Nox will assist. Others should assist if they want. If no bargeman can be found within, let's say, and hour, then I think we ought to start walking and then look for a barge later. If someone has a more creative idea (i.e. Khlarissa using her elf-y charms or something) then lets look at that.

Fatigue is a huge PITA. We ran into it a couple of adventures ago and it lasted for months of real time. It was a huge monkey on my back that never went away.

Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry for the rambling post!
    Last edited by malk0lm; 10-23-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Umi will probably correct me that they are more like the Royal Guards that the Kunie control or something! LOL
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

10. Default

This may be self-evident but we usually try to work out the details and plans via the OOC thread and then make the corresponding IC post when things are settled.

(When I re-read these posts in the morning, when I'm less tired; I'm sure I'll feel embarrassed for myself.)
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

Page 2 of 214 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast