Page 100 of 215 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2142

Thread: Panic Station

1. Default

Mar'ro will definitely take a shift overnight. I should say, I'd like to assume that Mar'ro always offers to take a watch, they are a party after all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

2. Default

I say we march on until we find a more secure location. We may very well encounter a delay that forces our hand. I'm comfortable travelling under darkness as well.

Qadan Yul - Arcanis

Quote Originally Posted by equinoche View Post
    No one else going to do paired shifts with Noxias besides Rampart? I think it's a fine idea, and will take the last shift...do Mar'ro and Khlarissa want to pitch in for the middle two?

Though I wonder if yShekka can help keep watch while Elunnia is asleep, or would that be too much a drain? She could do the trick of transferring from one party member to another, perhaps? Not a scenario I really thought about before.

Also as for the current night marches, do we want to continue this way, or take one of Umi's suggestions, and if so, at what point?
    The party is still discussing its watches, but there was no request for an extension. My next Main Post is due in the next 24 hours, and my intention is to settle the matter so that the next posting period is concerned with either the results of the rest or matters related to breaking camp, such as spell memorization or ritual casting, as well as confirming your upcoming route and marching schedule in light of OtterKnow's various proposals.

yShekka can associate herself with another party member, such as Noxias or Rampart, and use Elunnia's Passive Perception without the -5 sleeping penalty, but yShekka herself will need to "rest" for six hours at some point to maintain her physical link to the material world. This “resting” can be done while Elunnia is up and about, even traveling. The ability to act while Elunnia is asleep is not common to Spirit Companions in general, but is instead related to Elunnia's One Unique Thing. It further requires another character for yShekka to pair up with; Elunnia can't do this by herself. If yShekka detects something, her actions will usually be limited to alerting the character she’s paired with or waking up Elunnia.

In light of the current state of discussion, my understanding of the camping schedule looks like this:
    • 5:00 am - the party finishes traveling and Mar’ro starts looking for a good site to set up camp.
    • 5:15 am - the party arrives at the site Mar’ro picked; and Mar’ro begins to perform the Create Campsite ritual.
    • 5:25 am - due to Create Campsite, the camp is fully set up, allowing the party to eat and prepare to rest.
    • 6:00 am - Rampart takes the first watch. Noxias enters Trance and remains aware of his surroundings while resting. The rest of the party goes to sleep. Before turning in, Elunnia transfers yShekka’s focus of manifestation to Noxias.

The rest of the schedule from this point assumes there are no interruptions:
    • 8:00 am - Rampart finishes his watch and goes to sleep. Noxias and yShekka remain aware of their surroundings. Mar'ro takes the next watch.
    • 10:00 am - Noxias leaves his Trance state and is now active. Mar'ro finishes his watch and goes back to sleep. At this point, with party consensus emerging for paired watches, Khlarissa will take the third watch unless CortesXXIV objects before my Main Post goes up.
    • Noon - Khlarissa finishes her watch and goes back to sleep. Elunnia finishes resting and is now active. She recovers yShekka's focus of manifestation and takes the last watch. yShekka starts “resting.”
    • 2:00 pm - Rampart, Mar’ro, and Khlarissa finish resting. The party has breakfast and confirms the day's plan.
    • 3:00 pm - the party is ready to set out again. The spirits summoned by Create Campsite put everything away within moments.
    • 6:00 pm - yShekka finishes “resting.”

yShekka and Resting
    yShekka can be talked to or summoned while resting; doing so interrupts the rest. Fortunately, her interrupted rest may be resumed without penalty.

If yShekka goes 24 hours without resting for at least 6 hours, then Elunnia loses the ability to use Call Spirit Companion or transfer yShekka until the situation is resolved.

yShekka’s ability to rest is not subject to the 12 hour “waiting period” applying to people who enter trances or use conventional rest.

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Mar'ro will definitely take a shift overnight. I should say, I'd like to assume that Mar'ro always offers to take a watch, they are a party after all.

From the players' perspective, I believe this offer means that when watches are set up, Mar'ro's availability may be assumed and made use of.

I could not make that assumption for Mar'ro at this time as DM, because while it's respectable and reasonable that any party member would gladly offer up a shift on watch, the question at hand wasn't whether to set any watch at all but whether it was desirable to pair up with Noxias's effectively constant watch; and what was at stake was the extra security that comes at a cost of an extra two hours spent at camp.

Now that the watches are set, I can make that assumption for Mar'ro in the future, for as long as my plan to use this camp's activities as the template for the party's upcoming camps holds.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-16-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Khlarissa is happy to take a shift as well.

I am in the process of changing computers and as a result my character sheet will probably need another week,

Quote Originally Posted by cortesxxiv View Post
    Khlarissa is happy to take a shift as well.

I am in the process of changing computers and as a result my character sheet will probably need another week,
    Thank you for the update on the character sheet.

With this, the party's camping watch behavior is confirmed for the time being:
    • Rampart takes the first two hour watch.
    • Mar'ro takes the second two hour watch.
    • Khlarissa takes the third two hour watch.
    • Elunnia takes the last two hour watch.
    • Noxias enters a trance for the first part of the camping period and is always alert.
    • yShekka transfers her manifestation to Noxias while Elunnia is asleep and is always alert.

Default OOC Post #65 for Panic in Lonely Places

This post complements the sixty-fifth main post in the Panic in Lonely Places thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm Tuesday, July 18th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm Thursday, July 20th.

The campsite was sufficiently concealed by Mar’ro’s ritual that no one detected it over the course of the day. No encounters occurred to interrupt the party’s extended rest. It's now time to get ready to move forward again.

Party Situation
    Current Time: early afternoon (around 2 pm)
    Fatigue-Free Travel Time for the Day: 10 hours
    Time Until the Party May Benefit from an Extended Rest: 12 hours
    Time Until the Party Suffers from a Lack of Sleep Penalty: 24 hours
    Local Conditions: overcast, breezy, drizzling
    Terrain: rough, rocky, forested, lots of undergrowth except along Magpie Street
    Party Conditions: bright illumination (daytime); the Create Campsite ritual has created safe, comfortable conditions

Player Character Activities for this Posting Period:
    Complete any camping activities for your character, such as spell memorization, ritual casting, and Aiding others, as desired.
    Make or modify any party travel arrangements as desired.
    Review your character’s status reports (included in two upcoming supplemental posts) and bring up any discrepancies, possible mistakes, questions, or concerns.
    Feel free to post in the narrative thread about the day’s camp.
    Continue to work on your level 10 character, as needed.

In terms of what to look forward to, Magpie Street ends after a few more miles, and the septs’ trading site is located where it ends. Mar’ro’s coyote messenger probably reached Wenhrith Thane Direti there late last night, to inform him of the ransom. Two unnamed paths lead from the trade camp, one continuing to follow the Yu up to First Port, and one leading to a dwarf settlement.

DM Tasks
    Revisit Camping Questions (significant - concluding this period)
    Conduct Extended Rest (this posting period)
    Level 10 character sheets (major - started, working on logistics)
    Post campaign information - Aucothian Calendar (minor - after I recover)
    Post campaign information - Campaign Chronology (minor - after I recover)
    Post campaign information - Faerie (significant - after I recover)
    Update campaign information - Current Adventure: Panic in Lonely Places (minor - in progress)
    Add Fatigue house rules (significant - in progress)

7. Default

I'm going to perform some rituals this morning to be on the safe side and get a sense of what we're walking into. Mar'ro's not the trusting sort. I'm going to cast Portend Weather and, if the party wants, Traveller's Camouflage to help us travel and give us a bonus to Stealth..and hide our tracks.

I've got a few other mechanical questions:

I didn't quite realize...but does the Druid Wild Shape power allow me to transform into different kinds of animals? I always assumed you just chose one wild form and were bound to that.

If the curse is removed from the Talisman, the curse is lifted from the player as well, correct? I know Pravezet will still be able to track me, but I won't go blind anymore on a "1", right?

Can Mar'ro learn more Rituals in the course of the game? Like could I buy a scroll or learn from a sept shaman or something?
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 07-18-2017 at 01:15 AM.
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

I enjoyed your recent narrative post. I am thinking about moving the first section you wrote into an earlier post, if that fits your sense of its timing.

This post will be minimally formatted due to the ongoing inconvenience of formatting in my current situation.
    I'm going to perform some rituals this morning to be on the safe side and get a sense of what we're walking into. Mar'ro's not the trusting sort. I'm going to cast Portend Weather and, if the party wants, Traveller's Camouflage to help us travel and give us a bonus to Stealth..and hide our tracks.

I've got a few other mechanical questions:

I didn't quite realize...but does the Druid Wild Shape power allow me to transform into different kinds of animals? I always assumed you just chose one wild form and were bound to that.

If the curse is removed from the Talisman, the curse is lifted from the player as well, correct? I know Pravezet will still be able to track me, but I won't go blind anymore on a "1", right?

Can Mar'ro learn more Rituals in the course of the game? Like could I buy a scroll or learn from a sept shaman or something?
    Portend Weather
    I will describe the results of Portend Weather here and in the narrative thread in my next posts.

Wild Shape
    You are permitted to use Wild Shape to shift into different forms. Some druids can't or won't, but Mar'ro doesn't have any particular restriction other than the mechanical requirements of Wild Shape, such as the form being in the Medium size category. I am aware of some Druidic evocations that expand this even further.

Cursed Talisman
    Removing the curse on the talisman will remove the curse on the current owner, but not any duplicated curses on former owners, if that should happen.

In the current situation, there are at present no known former, cursed owners.

Rituals
    Yes, Mar'ro may learn more rituals. The two basic considerations are how to find new rituals and then how to learn ("master") them.

A ritual is usually found in one of two states: completely written out in the pages of a book, or in a magically condensed form that anyone can use on a small scroll. Some rituals are contained in alternate forms, but for the most part, these alternate forms behave like either a book or a scroll. A ritual caster may learn and cast any ritual of their level or lower that's found in a ritual book, but may not learn rituals from scrolls.

Mastering a ritual requires eight hours of uninterrupted study, but is otherwise free. A person hellbent on doing so might be able to fit mastering a ritual into a day along with a full day's travel and enough sleep, but usually something goes a little wrong with plans like that.

Once a ritual is mastered, it may be repeatedly cast at any time, as long as all its other requirements are met and the caster has physical access to the written ritual. Unlike spells, mastering a ritual doesn't allow it to be cast from memory alone. Therefore, ritualists desire to have their own copies of rituals they have mastered. Making copies is as time-consuming as mastering rituals, and requires access to expensive preparations.

Just from the names, it can be seen that rituals are a cross section of earlier D&D spells that were best suited to be used outside of combat. This can be a distraction from the fact that, unlike the spells they were based on, rituals are universally accessible to ritual casters.

What this means is that Mar'ro can eventually master all the rituals in Noxias's spell book, and Noxias could do the same with Mar'ro's rituals. The utility of having more than one person in a party master the same ritual is admittedly limited, but it does provide some additional flexibility. Of course, Mar'ro and Noxias will be best at rituals which use the skills they are strongest in, but there are many rituals, such as Portend Weather of course, that don't require skill checks.

In terms of purchasing rituals in book form, it's possible but rare. Ritualists prefer to sell in scroll form, so the most common sellers are those who can't use the rituals they are selling, though occasionally a ritual caster might be unloading an extra copy of a book ritual for some reason.

For outsiders such as Mar'ro and Noxias, perhaps the easiest way to obtain rituals is as plunder from enemy ritual casters.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    I enjoyed your recent narrative post. I am thinking about moving the first section you wrote into an earlier post, if that fits your sense of its timing.

This post will be minimally formatted due to the ongoing inconvenience of formatting in my current situation.
    Portend Weather
    I will describe the results of Portend Weather here and in the narrative thread in my next posts.

Wild Shape
    You are permitted to use Wild Shape to shift into different forms. Some druids can't or won't, but Mar'ro doesn't have any particular restriction other than the mechanical requirements of Wild Shape, such as the form being in the Medium size category. I am aware of some Druidic evocations that expand this even further.
    Thanks Umi! I've been giving more thought to why Mar'ro would want to take the cursed item and it really helped me flesh out some of his motivations and worldview. Feel free to move/split the post however you see fit!

This opens up so many possibilities! I mean, I think Mar'ro will tend to stick to the hyena form for most combat purposes, but will definitely not limit himself if the need arises to, like, swim or climb better.

Looking forward to finding/buying more rituals...they really give us lots of options! Seems unfair to force Noxias to take Remove Affliction (unless he really wants to) if Mar'ro could learn it too.
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

10. Default

Thanks Umi! I've been giving more thought to why Mar'ro would want to take the cursed item and it really helped me flesh out some of his motivations and worldview. Feel free to move/split the post however you see fit!

This opens up so many possibilities! I mean, I think Mar'ro will tend to stick to the hyena form for most combat purposes, but will definitely not limit himself if the need arises to, like, swim or climb better.

Looking forward to finding/buying more rituals...they really give us lots of options! Seems unfair to force Noxias to take Remove Affliction (unless he really wants to) if Mar'ro could learn it too.
    No one commented on my shape pun... alright, I admit it was a bit subtle.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.