Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 3: The Mimsy Borogoves

Default Chapter 3: The Mimsy Borogoves

Miles away, smoke swirls in a purple crystal. When the smoke clears, it reveals around a dozen figures gesticulating in different directions as they discuss together. Three appear to be wretched little deep gnomes. One a bulbous mushroom-folk. One a strong, bare-chested half-orc. Two are strong, furred creatures - one a slavering quaggoth another a barbaric gnoll. Two tieflings are there, too, and a dwarf.

The image within the crystal slowly moves away from the group, and its movement becomes faster and faster as it zips away until the image fades and the crystal is translucent. Through it is now visible a small cavern filled with luminescent quartz.

A stern, white-haired, black-skinned female lowers the crystal from in front of her eyes, and a harsh dialect of elvish common to the dark elves spews from her mouth as her other hand points to the other side of the cave: "That way!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your party follows the signs to Blingdenstone, though Jimjar, Topsy and Turvy know the way without them. You arrive in a cavern dominated by a massive stairway and gate.

The stairs are wide across but narrow in depth. They are suited for little gnome feet, and are a bit difficult for the rest of you to ascend.

To the stairs' left (west) is a steep slope with mechanisms resembling mine rails. Jimjar informs you that that's a lift for hauling up wagons and carts.

The terrace at the top of the stairs is slightly sloped upward to make it more difficult to approach the gate that is directly in front of you - a heavy-looking door built to deter siege weapons and battering rams. To your left you see an earth elemental standing stone-still by a mechanism to operate the lift mechanism. It does not acknowledge you.

In front of and around the gate are eight deep gnome guards. They are alert to your presence and stand with crossbows loaded and aimed at you. "Who goes there? What business do you have here?"

Come join us on Discord!

"Need map to surface world," Dargyr snaps, put on edge by so many weapons. He looks down at the small gnomes and says, "Tell us!"

"Bloody hell, not even five seconds," Nyx mutters to herself, grabbing Dagyr by the scruff and shoving him out of the way. She then speaks in Gnomish, "Hello there! I'm sorry for my companion, he just recently gained sentience and all he knows is how to threaten people. We'd like to get into the city to restock, rest our weary feet, and maybe get a map to the surface, like my companion suggested earlier."

Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy Check - (1d20+2) (13) [15]

Dargyr stands up strong and resists her push, snapping at her when she tries to touch him.

"DAGYR I WILL RIP YOUR SPINE CLEAN OUT IF YOU KEEP THIS UP," Nyx screams straight at the gnoll, getting right into his face and staring him down without so much as a single flinch, her voice booming easily thanks to Thaumaturgy. "Do not mess this up, or I will have your scraggly hide stripped from your body!"

Default Chapter 3: The Mimsy Borogoves

Jimjar steps out too, and adds, "A few of us sorta live here, too!"

The guards back away from Dargyr and train their crossbows specifically on him. They respond to Nyx in gnomish. "You got money to restock? Willing to work? We don't just give handouts, here. Especially not to the likes of some of you." They look particularly at Dargyr as they say this, but they're glancing sideways at Derendil, Malbocco, and Shuushar, and just seem confused about Stool.

They scrutinize Jimjar, who smiles back widely at them. One says "You do look familiar. It's probably safe money he's from here, at least. I don't recognize those two in the back though," he adds, indicating the twins.

When Nyx booms at Dargyr, they nearly cower in fear. "Do you take responsibility for him?" they ask her. "Do you take responsibility for the rest of these people?" they ask Jimjar.

"You bet!" Jimjar replies.

They look expectantly at Nyx, though they look at everyone else to see if they have any input.

Come join us on Discord!

"... Yes, I'll take responsibility, and I don't plan on being a dead weight. Neither do most of us," Nyx replies, turning back to the gnome guards. "We're good, able bodies, and we've got some coin on us as well. We ain't here to look for trouble, and I'll keep Fuzzball on a tight leash... not literal, mind you." She points to Dagyr for her last sentence.

Dargyr's eyes grow wide at Nyx's booming voice. With all weapons trained on him, he suddenly feels surrounded by enemies on all sides. He ducks low to the ground and whimpers. "Yes, yes. No trouble. No trouble."
    Last edited by Claw; 10-16-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Bithawa is offline Do not recruit players with Red Reputation. Do not apply to games being run by GMs with Red Reputation.

Voraxus steps forwards slightly to make himself seen (no longer carrying the obvious light) and asks the guards, "do you know of Sunder?"

"Yeah. It's a ways off," one of them replies. "Apparently far enough that the blasted drow didn't think it was worth ransacking. Some folks made their way there after, but most stayed with the dwarves. It was the least they could do for us since it was helping them fight the drow that got the city attacked anyway."

"I wish I coulda been there for that," Eldeth pipes up. "Darkies fighting against other underground folks! And that one dark elf with the panther! He was supposed to be somethin else! I bet I coulda shown him up!"

Come join us on Discord!

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast