Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Second Prologue: In Fertile Ground

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    The wooden chest springs open without sound. Inside Korman can feel his father's bow, and both quivers of arrows, blunt and sharp. There are also several glass vials, one of which must be the longstrider potion Nisha mentioned for faster travel. In the dark Korman can't tell which is which.

    For the first time he notices the the whoosh of air through the tiny air vents in the corners at the top of the windowless metal carriage box. The two swinging doors which provide the only exit and entrance are padlocked from the outside. Neither the doors nor the vents seem to offer a viable means of escape.

    That leaves only the vials...


    OOC:

    If you investigate the vials, tell me what you're doing and roll me three Knowledge (Nature) checks?

    (Craft Alchemy would be more ideal, but we can easily work with what you've got on your sheet!)

  2. #12

    Default

    OOC: If there is moonlight shining in, my low-light-vision should be working.

    Hoping to find the rest of his gear, Korman feels around in the rest of the box. Specifically for his dagger...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Mess View Post
    OOC: If there is moonlight shining in, my low-light-vision should be working.

    Hoping to find the rest of his gear, Korman feels around in the rest of the box. Specifically for his dagger...

    After a little while Korman's keen eyes adjust to the slivers of moonlight allowed in by the vents. He finds his fine crafted dagger with twisting vines inscribed around the handle, still in its sheath.


    OOC:

    Your move! Interested to see where this is going.
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-26-2016 at 02:06 PM.

  4. #14

    Default

    Korman pulls the dagger from it's sheath, and firmly holds it in his hands, preparing for what he is about to do. Knocking on the back door, Korman says "are we there yet? I need to take a leak!" Hoping the wagon stops, that he might ambush the driver when he's freed...

    OOC:

    After drawing the driver's attention, I get ready to bum rush the guy and grapple him. Authentic Forum Dice-rollGrapple - (d20+5) [22]

    I did that grapple roll correctly right? I believe it is a combat manuver.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Mess View Post
    Korman pulls the dagger from it's sheath, and firmly holds it in his hands, preparing for what he is about to do. Knocking on the back door, Korman says "are we there yet? I need to take a leak!" Hoping the wagon stops, that he might ambush the driver when he's freed...

    OOC:

    After drawing the driver's attention, I get ready to bum rush the guy and grapple him. Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+5) [25]

    I did that grapple roll correctly right? I believe it is a combat manuver.

    Korman has to yell his request a few more times to be heard over the clattering hooves. At last the prisoner transport halts, and Korman hears, to his surprise, the carriage driver addressing another person. "Ah, what's the harm? I can retrieve that potion after you walk him behind some trees. Actually if you could wait two minutes before you lead him away, I'd like to go first."

    Korman listens to the driver's retreating footfalls.A few moments later the padlock snicks open and one door swings wide. The dark interior works to Korman's advantage as his eyes are better adjusted, and the grey uniformed Twilight Academy guard cannot immediately make him out and see that he is no longer restrained.

    In an instant the hunter leaps upon his captor, wrapping his sinewy arms around the man and tackling him to the ground with one hand clamped over his mouth. They thud softly to the grass in a tangle.

    There is no exclamation or sound of footfalls from the carriage driver who went to relieve himself.

    If he can just stop the guard from crying out, he might not have to face two opponents at once...


    OOC:


    Grapple to beat CMD of guard, who is caught by surprise and thus flat-footed and denied his Dexterity bonus, (+2 to your attack roll for a "charge" so your total is 24), success!

    Guard has the "grappled" condition:


    Nice Combat Maneuver! And I suppose your knife is still in your hand, so do with that what you will.

    This is a "surprise round" so next is GM rolling for Initiative: Korman Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+5) [25] vs guard Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+1) [6]

    Normally you would wait until the NPC responded (to see if he complied with your request) before posting your next action. But this is only practice, so I'm going to say he did what you expected.

    In my next post I'll announce the winner of the Initiative, and if it was the guard, I'll take his turn accordingly...
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-27-2016 at 04:13 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Exclamation

    Korman beat the guard by a mile, 25 to 6, so Korman is going first!

    I think I'll go add the "grapple" rules to the "Rules and Mechanics Thread" for future reference...
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-27-2016 at 04:10 PM.

  7. #17

    Default

    I attempt to slit his throat, in order for a quick kill so we don't make noise.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack Roll - (1d20+5) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDmg - (1d4+2+5) [11]

    OOC:

    1d4+Str+MAB for dmg, or mab only with attack roll?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Mess View Post
    I attempt to slit his throat, in order for a quick kill so we don't make noise.

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll( ) [0]
    [roll1]

    OOC:

    1d4+Str+MAB for dmg, or mab only with attack roll?
    Korman maintains his grip and feels the knife slicing deep into the man's neck, and the disconcertingly hot spurt of blood.

    The Academy guard jerks in surprise at the attack. He thrashes violently and manages to break free from Korman. He crawls away on his hands and knees, gasping and clutching at his throat.

    He appears to be in too much shock to cry out, yet.


    OOC:

    You're up again, Gelatinous Mess, to start Round 2!

    Top of Round 1: Korman's Turn

    Korman's Standard Action to maintain grapple check (if successful, you may perform another action, like dealing damage, as part of your Standard Action) is at a bonus +5 for Rules as Written, so (10 + 5 = 15 total), success!

    Guard is stabbed for (total 6) lethal damage. Not enough to kill him yet.

    Quick posting style note, always write in third person instead of first: e.g., "Korman tries to slit his throat..."

    As a roleplay note, the other characters haven't killed any humanoids in-game, being reluctant to use violence by nature and tactically choosing to deal nonlethal (knockout) damage---which as a House Rule I do not impose any attack roll penalty on whatsoever, no matter what weapon is used. In your next post I would like you to reveal what's going on inside Korman's head right now---is he feeling desperate, enraged, focused and calculating, scared, or something else entirely?


    Bottom of Round 1: Guard's Turn

    Standard Action CMB to escape grapple (vs Korman's CMD, but Korman also has the "grappled" condition and takes -4 to his Dexterity score) GRT total 18, success. He breaks free.

    Move Action to crawl away (maximum 5 feet), and it DOES provoke an Attack of Opportunity.


    **Normally GM would roll your Attack of Opportunity automatically, to move the game along. But this time I am not sure whether Korman wants to press the attack, and if he does want to attack, whether he wants to deal lethal or nonlethal? So you MAY roll an Attack of Opportunity if you want to, in addition to taking your next turn (Standard Action and Move Action) for Round 2.

  9. #19

    Default

    Realizing what he's done, Korman pauses for second before remembering that even in the shock, he must escape. "I will make it short." Korman drives the dagger into the man to end his suffering. Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack Roll - (1d20+5) [19] Authentic Forum Dice-rollDmg - (1d4+2) [6]

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Korman's dagger bites deep into the man's back. The man moans in pain and and his knees almost buckle beneath him, but he keeps crawling.


    OOC:

    Still Round 1: Korman AOO

    Korman dagger attack (total 19), hit! Deals 6 damage. (Guard has taken a total of 12 damage but he's still alive.)

    Since your attack just now was an Attack of Opportunity (basically a free reaction to what the NPC did that took place on HIS turn rather than yours), you still have your whole Round 2 turn (Standard Action and Move Action) left.

    No combat mat is put up because this is just one on one, but your opponent is 5 feet away from you (and currently unarmed).


    Quick posting note: on your next posts, place your rolls beneath the abbreviation "OOC" as I do?

    I also prefer the type of action you are taking to be spelled out in the Out of Character section of your post as well.

    Example OOC:

    Move Action 30 ft into square E4
    Standard Action attack with MW longsword [attack roll] [damage roll]
    Free Action speak



    And as a side note, I have never seen the forum dice roller so favorable as it's been to you---two good hits and maximum damage twice! What is this magic you wield?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •