Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Second Prologue: In Fertile Ground

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,416

    Post Second Prologue: In Fertile Ground

    The Twilight Academy in Galduria was notorious for its dangerous arcane experiments.

    That would have been doubly true if the outside world knew how unwilling some of its test subjects were.

    Korman Deer-Stalker was one of these. The half-elf of the Shoanti Hawk Clan had been kidnapped from a hospital in Riddleport and borne through the Academy gates inside a coffin. Awakening in a strange cell with nary a soul around and no window to the outside world in sight had been disorienting and ominous indeed.

    Thurok Bloodeye was another such victim, kidnapped by one of his own kind named Umagog Fleshtrapper and sold to the Academy to pay off his debts to the corrupt criminal organization known as the League of Last Resort.

    The two were neighbors in the cell block secreted beneath the Academy gymnasium, and both were desperate to escape their prisons and the endless sickening routines in Dr. Bello's lab. They were weary of being injected with drugs and diseases and antidotes by the green Mwangi lizardfolk alchemist. They were even more sick of being sent into living nightmares designed to test their endurance, survival skills and fighting prowess by Bello's Mwangi human assistant Nisha who excelled at illusions and mental compulsions.

    The two of them bonded over their dire predicament and plotted their escape. But when the chance finally came, it would not permit Korman to include Thurok...

    ***Time Skip***

    One evening Nisha shows up unexpectedly with four burly guards in the Academy's gray uniforms and peaked caps. "These men are here to escort you to new accommodations," she announces to Korman in her Taldan [British] accented Common. "Your belongings are already packed and in the wagon. Come, my friend. You do think of me as a friend, do you not?" She begins to chant softly and circle one dark skinned hand in the air, working one of her charm spells.

    "Leave him alone, witch!" Thurok growls, gripping the bars of his cell.

    Korman realizes his transfer offers him the best opportunity for escape he is likely to get. At the mention of his belongings he aches to get his hands around his father's bow again and heed the message carved along its upper limb: Follow the wind.

    But first he must resist Nisha's latest attempt to enslave his mind...



    OOC:

    Okay Gelatinous Mess, post your reaction and roll me a Will Saving Throw and put it in the OOC (Out of Character) section of your next post.

    That is d20 plus your Base Will Save from your character class, plus your Wisdom stat modifier. (It should already be calculated on your Character Sheet under Will Save.) Remember to put all your dialogue in
    BOLD and "quotation marks."

    Don't sweat it, this Prologue is only meant for practice rolling dice with the Authentic Forum Dice-roll( ) [0] tags and making tactical decisions and roleplaying.

    This part of the story will already have taken place by the time you are posting in the Main Game Thread titled "Don't Fear the Reaper..."
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-19-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: revived Prologue!

  2. #2

    Default

    "Yes, of course you're my friend!"

    OOC:

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTA-DA - (1d20+2) [20] If I succeed, then I'm just playing along to deceive her, otherwise I'm just charmed.
    Last edited by Gelatinous Mess; 08-19-2016 at 09:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    "Good! Then be a dear and put this on..." She fastens his green cloak around his neck and tugs the hood low so he can't see anything beyond his own footsteps. "Head down, no peeking, now, or you'll spoil the surprise..." Nisha takes the half-elf by the hand and leads him out of the cell, shaking her head at the guard holding out manacles.

    "Korman! When I see you next, we shall break our chains, and the heads of those who forced them on us!" Thurok vows. He repeats the oath sullenly in *Orcish as his former cell mate is lost to view.

    With two Academy guards trailing behind, Nisha escorts Korman up the stairs, through the secret door in the wall at the top, and out of the gymnasium into the crisp open air of the autumn night. The fresh breeze is a thousand times more intoxicating than anything Dr. Bello has forced into Korman's veins.

    They keep walking across the grounds until they reach the stables full of the sweaty musk of horse and cloying sweetness of hay. Korman can hear horses stamping and dares a quick look around. He sees some sort of enclosed metal box carriage with padlocked doors. When the doors open he spies a padded bench bolted to the floor with a lap restraint resting on it. A long thin wooden chest with a lock sits under the bench.

    Nisha drops his hand and gives him an open metal flask whose contents reek of alcohol. "The road is long and the night is chilly. Drink this! It will warm you and help you sleep."

    Korman supposes only the latter statement is true...


    OOC:

    Korman's Will save (total 20) is a success! He is NOT charmed, and therefore does not have to comply in a friendly, eager manner to any reasonable sounding request as though he and Nisha have been the closest of friends for many years, and he is NOT feeling loathe to disappoint her in any way.

    Nisha is pushing some kind of sleeping agent on Korman.

    You can either drink it and roll a Fortitude Save like you would against poison, or choose some other action and roll a d20 for that. (E.g., a Bluff Check to pretend to drink it, an attack roll to knock it out of her hand, an attack roll and Bluff Check to make it look like you merely stumbled, etc.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-18-2017 at 01:46 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    "Of course, I'll need my energy for the road ahead, thank you"

    As Korman chugs the drink, he only hopes he can stand it, and it's flavor...

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollfort save - (d20+6) [15]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    The brew is bitter and Korman soon feels his muscles going limp and his thoughts drifting. Inwardly he shakes the feelings off, reminding himself of the urgency of seizing the chance to escape. The new surge of adrenaline batters back the soporific effects of Nisha's drink.

    Two guards help him up into the wagon and strap him onto the bench. Korman lets his head loll back and to the side. He senses the change in light after the doors clang shut and the lock snaps into place. He strains to hear what the voices are saying.

    He waits until the carriage driver cries "Yah!" and the vehicle is in motion before daring to peer through his eyelids.

    He is alone. The only obstacles between him and the ultimate freedom, of which he has dreamed for so many nights, are the restraints and a few locks...


    OOC:

    Fort save vs sleeping potion (total 15) is a success. Korman is alert.

    Roll a Perception Skill Check to overhear some information.

    Also it takes an Escape Artist Skill Check to get out (or a Strength Check but the DC is much harder).
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-23-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Removed the "he didn't catch it all" text---Nat 20!

  6. #6

    Default

    Korman sits in place, straining to hear what the guards have said, anything, to help him escape.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+8) [28]

    OOC:

    wut a 20
    Last edited by Gelatinous Mess; 08-23-2016 at 04:34 AM. Reason: wut a 20

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Korman overhears Nisha talking, apparently giving instructions to the carriage driver. “Go southeast to Sandpoint. No stops, except those that are absolutely necessary. There is another longstrider potion for your horse in the chest, and the password to open it is “Shimye-Magalla.” Touch NOTHING except that potion. Your passenger should sleep through most of the trip and the interruption in his treatment will leave him too weak to give you trouble after he wakes. You will be met in the harbor by Ubanta Dzapazi of the ship Shimyan-Khan. He will pay you and take the half-elf and the chest off your hands. Once the Shimyan-Khan has sailed you may return to the Academy and someone will finish enchanting your carriage, as we agreed. I dislike making threats, but if you fail or double cross the doctor and endanger his project, he will make you rue the day. I wish you a safe journey.”

    Then Korman hears the driver climb into his seat and urge the horse onward, and the carriage jolts into motion.

    OOC:

    Korman’s Perception (Natural 20+8 = 28 total), great success and he overhears everything!

    He knows the chest is magically locked and its password is “Shimye-Magalla.”

    He also knows the direction the carriage is headed (southeast, to a coastal port town called Sandpoint), and who Nisha's/Bello's contact in Sandpoint is (Ubanta Dzapazi) and the name of his ship the Shimyan-Khan.
    Last edited by magrat4; 08-23-2016 at 03:13 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Committing the contact Ubanta Dazpazi to memory, Korman attempts to escape his bindings.

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+3) [19]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    The half elf slowly works one hand free and then the other, rubbing his wrists rather raw in the process. With that done he is able to pry loose the restraints over his lap and wriggle free. In the darkened carriage he kneels before the bench, in front of the magically locked chest.


    OOC:

    Escape Artist (19), success! (A success for this exercise anyway. Otherwise you would keep rolling until you got a 20.)

    Korman is unbound and has free range of motion, but it's dark in there.

  10. #10

    Default

    Korman whispers “Shimye-Magalla.” to open the chest.

    OOC:
    This is just a solid, metal box, right? And it's completly dark or is there holes etc to breathe or what?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •