Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: OOC Chatter [Episode 4]

1. Default

I really hope not, but people rarely come back to PbP after disappearing for a long time for whatever reason. However, considering that money for a new PC was the roadblock, he would have to wait for a month or two to get a couple of paychecks to save enough.

Quote Originally Posted by theskyvalker View Post
    I really hope not, but people rarely come back to PbP after disappearing for a long time for whatever reason. However, considering that money for a new PC was the roadblock, he would have to wait for a month or two to get a couple of paychecks to save enough.
    True, but he also said he'd show up once a week or so to put in a post, and that was over 2 weeks ago. Between smartphones, borrowing someone else's computer, library computers, etc...

Come join us on Discord!

Well, that would be a bummer, but this seems like a good, strong game with a solid group. I'm sure finding a replacement will be more than possible.

4. Default

We have Riglin, Illimistra, Grim, and Mal. It is still a 4 man group. Maybe Vala can take a break to pursue some leads with Erevenn and join back in the future when Keri comes back? That way there is an in remaining, but it may or may not ever come into play. Might require a bit of rebalancing on Rel's part to ensure we don't die like insects but might work without a replacement too. A smaller group can be a faster group. Or, we can always give someone else a chance to join and play ToD.

I like that plan, it gives them time to get stuff figured out without us ruining Vala haha. I'm confident Rellott wont steamroll us TOO badly.

Also, Rellott, ive got a question about Shadow Hound. It says i can turn my shadow into a "hound of pure darkness", but then proceeds to descrive how i can have it secretly slip into other people's shadows to track them and stuff without them knowing (other than a general sense of dread). Does that mean i can have it physically turn into a shadow dog that walks around at my side or does other stuff that people can see, or is it limited to the mechanical uses mentioned in the ability ribbon? I feel like it could be cool RP to summon a shadow dog and use it to intimidate or something.

Also, does my shadow just not exist when i use the ability?
    --------------------------------------------------------

Vala has been very interested in going to find her long-lost love, and has been told that she's near a town called Parnast far to the north and east, near the edge of the Anauroch Desert. Perhaps Vala can't wait any longer for word. We'll see.

I don't want to write her out yet, and I don't want to go back to recruitment yet.

Come join us on Discord!

Quote Originally Posted by Severalis View Post
    I like that plan, it gives them time to get stuff figured out without us ruining Vala haha. I'm confident Rellott wont steamroll us TOO badly.

Also, Rellott, ive got a question about Shadow Hound. It says i can turn my shadow into a "hound of pure darkness", but then proceeds to descrive how i can have it secretly slip into other people's shadows to track them and stuff without them knowing (other than a general sense of dread). Does that mean i can have it physically turn into a shadow dog that walks around at my side or does other stuff that people can see, or is it limited to the mechanical uses mentioned in the ability ribbon? I feel like it could be cool RP to summon a shadow dog and use it to intimidate or something.

Also, does my shadow just not exist when i use the ability?
    Here's the full feature for those reading along:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Hound
    Starting at 6th level, your shadow can split from you and transform into a hound of pure darkness. Most of the time, your shadow hound masquerades as your normal shadow. As a bonus action, you can command it to magically slip into the shadow of a creature you can see within 60 feet of you. While the shadow hound is merged in this manner, the target can’t gain the benefits of half cover or three-quarters cover against your attack rolls, and you know the distance and direction to the target even if it is hidden. The hound can’t be seen by anyone but you and those with truesight, and it is unaffected by light. The target has a vague feeling of dread while the hound is present.

As a bonus action, you can command your shadow hound to return to you. It also automatically returns to you if you and the target are on different planes of existence, if you’re incapacitated, or if dispel magic, remove curse, or similar magic is used on the target.
    The first two sentences seem to indicate that A: the hound IS your shadow, ("your shadow can split from you and transform..."), so yes you'd be shadowless while the shadow hound is following someone, and B: it doesn't become an actual hound that hangs out like a pet or is ever visible to others, since "most of the time [it] masquerades as your normal shadow" and then the text goes on to indicate the exception to that "most of the time."

I'm inclined say it's limited to those uses, but I'm open to the party's ideas about the balance and fun of letting it be a shadow dog. It should not come anywhere near being a beast companion, though. You want a beast companion, be a ranger.

I'd also say I have no idea why the devs thought this feature fit with the hexblade. Sure, it mechanically grants you a way to track your target and ignore cover when you attack from range, but you're a hexblade who hypothetically doesn't want to be at range. The hexblade is all about the blade - where did a hound theme come from? or heck, where did the shadow theme come from? Maybe the Raven Queen should get a shadow raven to do this or something... I don't know.

Come join us on Discord!

If it were to be allowed, I'm pretty much envisioning it like a very limited version of Major Image. It could make sound and people could see it, but I don't see it physically interacting with anything.

And I've had the same questions about this ability. It especially fits the Raven Queen theme, since those warlocks can merge with their raven. It almost feels like it was a cool idea the devs WANTED to give to the other chassis, but couldnt fit it in.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Severalis View Post
    And I've had the same questions about this ability. It especially fits the Raven Queen theme, since those warlocks can merge with their raven. It almost feels like it was a cool idea the devs WANTED to give to the other chassis, but couldnt fit it in.
    I honestly think that they wanted to test out the core hexblade features and see if there was interest in it, but they also wanted to test out a new version of the Hound of Ill Omen from the shadow sorcerer (from an earlier UA... Light Dark Underdark), so they just shoved it in there.

Come join us on Discord!