Page 1 of 234 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 2340

Thread: Chapter One: Don't Fear the Reapers...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,598

    Post Chapter One: Don't Fear the Reapers...

    Sir Trogir Strongoath is ten minutes late AND counting for his appointment.

    He was supposed to meet at noon sharp with the four eclectic companions sent to the Drunken Dog in the small riverside village of Wolf's Ear by Archbanker Glace after he smuggled them safely out of Galduria. The newcomers examine their surroundings while they wait at their table.

    Afternoon sunlight pours through many gold glass window panes to illuminate the crowded Drunken Dog tavern: its second story balcony, stone walls and cozy fireplace, a raised level for musicians, wooden chairs and stools, and tables with full place settings and stubby candles. Each table features a brown runner, steel tankards, one pitcher of water and one of beer, brown napkins beneath steel cutlery, a basket of rolls covered with a red checkered towel, tall cups holding cords of beef jerky, and earthenware plates whose borders are etched with canine heads. And each table is full, so some patrons sit at the balcony with their legs dangling over or sit on the staircase with their plates balanced on their knees.

    At the bar a buxom, tan bartender with thick limbs and a long auburn braid under her snug brown cap fills orders with grinning efficiency. Also behind the bar is a menu mostly communicated by simple drawings and numbers representing the cost of sundry dishes and drinks in copper or silver pieces. Slender serving wenches balance trays of drinks and sumptuous breads and meats overhead and navigate the throngs with swift, purposeful movements. Beef rather dominates the menu in everything from the stew to the large sizzling main course steaks, and most patrons seem to prefer it rare.

    The three dozen or so raucous patrons are a mix of mostly humans and Halflings and gnomes and their furry canine companions, with the rare half-elf or bronze skinned half-orc among them. Aside from the halfling serving lass who gave them a table and took their order, no one has paid much attention to the four newcomers despite their striking appearances: the hulking richly robed aasimar and bear fur-swathed green half-orc, the wiry human with a unique scar over one brow in brown traveler’s garb, and the pale half-elf in the long hooded blue traveler’s cloak (which conceals the blue dragon scale patches on his flesh that emerged at the Twilight Academy). Even the men in the chainmail and helmets and red wolf's head on a black shield insignia of the local watchmen seem preoccupied with contests.

    There is an ongoing game of cards in one corner, a game of darts in another, an arm-wrestling contest near the stairs where most of the watchmen congregate, and the usual gaggle of gossiping bearded old codgers on the barstools.

    It seems likely there would be time to mingle with the folk of Wolf's Ear (or indeed apply any number of social or dexterous skills) before Sir Trogir arrives…





    OOC:

    Perception skill checks are always good to start if you're looking for someone or some opportunity in particular. This town has one temple with officers and chambers devoted to Cayden Cailean and to Abadar, but also to Desna goddess of travel and luck, and Gozreh god of farming and nature. Lumber and agriculture seem to be the primary industries for the small town judging by the buildings and fields you've seen on your way into town.
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-05-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: made pic smaller again

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    richmond, VA
    Posts
    357

    Default Chapter One: Don't Fear the Reapers...

    Skie leans back in his chair making sure his blue hood is pulled down to make sure his silvery eyes are covered and comments to his companions "even after a month it's strange seeing this many people"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Thurok sits uncomfortably in his chair, realising he might be too large for the tiny wooden seat. In answer to Skie's comment, he says "Yes, there are too many people here. It's too loud. Someone should tell them to be quiet". He leans forward, resting his arms on the table, chewing on the tough jerky and eying the patrons of the tavern, especially the fascinating tiny people, the 'halflings' and 'gnomes' as his humie friends called them, astounded that there could be anything smaller than humies. "Where is the strong-oathed man? He should change his name. He made an oath to arrive on time, but it was not held strong."

  4. #4

    Default

    "Thurak, You are right, but there is one upside to this, you can go show those guys in the corner how much stronger Noble warriors are then common rable, tell them you will give em these five coins if they beat you" flint says handing thurak a pouch of 5 silver coins "I am on my way to make some real cash" Flint jaunts his way over to the card playing table, to teach those poor fools what it means to be a mark

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Thurok, unaware of Flint's moneymaking scheme, pulls his chair back and stretches up to his full height. He trudges over to the group of tough-looking folks in the corner. "Little humie cowards, I am sure that I can defeat your puny arms as they wrestle with my huge, muscled orcish arms. I demand that you take these stupid metal disks if you somehow defeat me." He throws Flint's coinpouch at the table, then sits down and proceeds to arm-wrestle with whoever is willing.

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll( 1d20+4 ) [20]
    Last edited by FlyingWalrus; 04-05-2016 at 05:21 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    richmond, VA
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Skie follows Thurok interested in who will win and comments to his large friend as they were walking "when you win will you answer a few questions for me?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    745

    Default

    As Flint and Thurok attempt to navigate through the sea of patrons, Mammon is trying to get the attention of one of the slender serving wenches in particular. She is a cute brunette, though not quite as slender as her fellow wenches she still moves through the crowd eliciting many states from the bars patrons. Having finally flagged her down he says "Beautiful lady, my friends and I are quite parched. I would have five ales, one for me and my cloaked friend. And two more for our compatriots when they return. And one for Sir Strongoath once he arrives, perhaps you've heard of him? I am also curious of what you have to say, is there any news that newcomers like ourselves may not of heard?" and with a coy grin he adds, "though I hope your voice is not as beautiful as you are or I may be compelled to stay in this bar and drink my life away." After adding that last bit, quite on a whim, he hoped that he had not over done it. He pulled out his money paid for the ale and tipped her three silver coins just for good measure. If my words did not get her on my good side, everyone responds the same to money absent mindly he looked over to Thoruk, having easily bested his first advisary except for him. Coming back to reality he saved his musings on that for later.

    OOC:
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy - (1d20+8) [20]
    Diplomacy attempted as gather information.
    Last edited by TheShieldWolf; 04-05-2016 at 07:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Easily besting the tiny, twig-armed humies before him, Thurok loudly exclaims "You will have to excuse me, small, scared humies. I must rest from this easy task to speak with my friend here." He gets up out of his chair, snatching his winnings off the table, and turns to Skie, a big goofy grin of victory plastered on his face. "What is it you would like to know, little half mule-ears?"
    Last edited by FlyingWalrus; 04-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    richmond, VA
    Posts
    357

    Default

    "there is an Orcish clan somewhere out there and there symbol is that of a clawed Orc hon with two droplets under do you know of anything like that?"while asking Skie twiddles anxiously with the bird pendent hanging from his neck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,598

    Default

    Grayson posted as Flint: "I am on my way to make some real cash" Flint jaunts his way over to the card playing table, to teach those poor fools what it means to be a mark
    Flint approaches three motley individuals seated at the card table beside tall stacks of silver coins.

    The first is a purple-haired gnome in a fancy green suit and top hat and white silk cravat with gold rings and a clockwork mechanism on a gold chain hanging out of a his front pocket, which also holds a folded square handkerchief initialed “TM.” The gnome smiles and beckons to Flint, asking in a cultured Taldan accent “Try your luck?” He has the second highest pile of coins.

    The second person is a surly and burly looking Varisian human guard, clean shaven on his cheeks and head alike, wearing chainmail and the red wolf on a black shield insignia of the town watch. He smiles less pleasantly at Flint and reveals a gold tooth. His has more coin stacks than the gnome but not by much.

    The third is a comely Varisian woman with long black hair under a blue and yellow striped kerchief that matches her blue and yellow striped pantaloons, and a tight fitting white blouse with billowy sleeves. She wears a scimitar sheathed at her hip and gold hoops in each ear and tan gloves on each hand. She holds a gloved hand out to Flint, limply angled down in imitation of a high society lady, and says, “A handsome stranger---perhaps it’s my lucky day instead Tymmon?” She seems quite cheerful despite her relatively small coin stacks.

    The gnome chuckles and warns Flint, “Don’t let Azzie win just because she flirts. I’m Tymmon and this bald grump is Jorgi, and we’d welcome a fourth if you’re coin is good.” He deals out a hand off cards to show he means it. “Two silver is the minimum wager, and I can personally change out your gold coins for silver if need be.”

    “Show off,” Azzie teases. She pats the seat beside her and looks expectantly at Flint.


    OOC:

    For the first hand EVERYONE must wager 10 sp. In your OOC, Grayson, I need at the very least…

    1) your d20 Skill check roll for either Bluff or Sleight of Hand, AND
    2) your Sense Motive Skill check roll (just add your Wisdom stat modifier if you don’t have ranks in it).

    For the first hand the three NPCs will roll Bluff checks (and Sense Motive checks) hidden by spoilers tags---NO PEEKING, GUYS, FOR REAL.

    I am only including ONE roll in spoiler tags on my first post attempt because I want to make sure I got it right...but the rest will follow quickly.



    Well okay THAT roll worked but all the others are not working. I think I need to put them in the NEXT thread, so I will.
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-05-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: had to post rolls elsewhere AND re-post the wagers for this game

Page 1 of 234 1231151101 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •