Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Prologue: "Who Sows the Seeds of Chaos..."

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482

    Post Prologue: "Who Sows the Seeds of Chaos..."

    Galduria’s prestigious Twilight Academy has a reputation for risky arcane experiments, and rumors abound that its many magic and mundane defenses are more for keeping things in than out.

    And some nights, they fail…

    Tonight the campus sprawls in the deepening darkness, an imposing maze of towers and squat structures in clashing architectural styles behind eight foot brick walls and wrought iron gates. Two heavily armed and uniformed guards observe the progress of a few students and professors gliding to or from their evening classes with bobbing globes of light at their shoulders.

    Two more guards are smoking pipes outside the Academy’s infrequently used gymnasium. They nod to the thin green lizardfolk instructor, Professor Bello, as he leaves for the night at his usual hour. The Mwangi professor emeritus does not respond, too deep in his schemes.

    Beneath the gym is the secret cell block connected to Bello’s private lab. For the past four months he has conducted his passion project on four disparate, mostly unwilling subjects: the angelblooded Taldan Mammon and his fellow Taldan Flint, the dragonblooded half-elf Skie from Tian Xia, and the wizard-sired half-orc Thurok of Belkzen.

    For his prisoners it has been four months of endless grueling physiological and psychological experiments involving toxins, diseases, alchemical stimuli and sedatives, and elaborate hallucinatory scenarios (many of which taunted them with visions of escaping Bello’s clutches for good), with no resolution or payday in sight. Four months of nights spent caged like animals despite basic amenities like hammocks, and soap and water, and regular meals. Four months under the scrutiny a cerebral, cryptic lizardfolk scribbling his observations and rarely addressing them at all in his clipped Taldan accented Common except for random, purely rhetorical musings.

    Tonight his parting words to them had been "There is a saying gaining popularity in Varisia: 'Who sows the seeds of chaos will reap a harvest of great change.' Some nights I think this must be a promise, and other nights I am just as convinced this is a threat."

    The prisoners have had quite enough of being estranged from their old lives, of submitting to Bello and his oblique philosophizing and harsh experiments, and to his hulking, cheerful Mwangi assistant Nisha with her mind manipulating magics and pithy reassurances that the work they're involved in is Very Important.

    They have hatched a desperate plan of escape, with little idea of what changes have been wrought inside them and what awaits them in the outside world, and what price will have to be paid for their freedom.

    The next phase of their plan begins with Alec the guard. He has just let himself into their cell block against the express orders of Professor Bello. Eight hours is too tedious a stretch without company for Alec. Besides, he knows he can always count on his superior quantities of smarts and muscles in a crisis, even if he cannot spell "quantities" or "muscles."

    “How long has Bello been pumping you full of drek, and you still are not half as big as Alec, eh?” the large guardsman teases. “Well, except for Thurok. Maybe he start with the wrong raw material if he want men like gods, ja?” He flexes his arms and chest by gripping either side of his club and pulling it down behind his head.



    OOC:

    Guys I am so sorry this took much longer than expected. There is no turn order per se, just have at it! As always, feel free to PM me with any questions but the GM Rules and Posting Guidelines thread should help.
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-01-2016 at 07:29 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Thurok grunts in the general direction of Alec, and lies down in his hammock, hands resting behind his head. He stares at the cake of soap nearby. Stupid humies and their stupid little smelly animal fat. I'm not going to smell like you, humies. He didn't want to use it to wash himself. He didn't want to eat it, either, though; he had made that mistake the hard way, and didn't plan on making it again.

    His heart thumped in his chest with anticipation at finally leaving this terrible place, for good he hoped. They had been planning it for so long now, and tonight was the night it would all pay off. He smiled to himself as he thought about how the night sky would look, how the cold rain would feel against his bare skin. As soon as I'm out of here, I'll head down to the nearest humie drink place and buy myself ten pounds of raw beef. In fact, I'll buy the others ten pounds of raw beef, too. Those stupid humie metal discs were just being heavy, anyway. Might as well get rid of them.

    He closed his eyes and waited for Mammon to begin the first phase of their plan.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    richmond, VA
    Posts
    357

    Default Prologue: "Who Sows the Seeds of Chaos..."

    Skie sits against the wall looking at the pale blue scales that have started to grow on his pale half elven skin knowing the power he has is growing and that fact scares him because his power is growing he looks at the gaurds as they start to talk and gets himself mentally prepared for their plan. After a few moments he touches his temple and makes a mentle connection to his best friend Flint and uses message "are you ready to get out of here my friend?"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ras2115; 04-01-2016 at 11:24 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Lying in his cell Mammon is finishing his prayer for luck to Abadar when Alec enters the room. Right on time. Mammon thinks to himself. Tonight he is boasting about his muscles again. Pride, he tought, will be the downfall of man. "Alec, my good man. You say only Thurok matches you in manliness, though he is not.even wholly a man. Come, place your arm by mine. I'm sure you will find we are evenly matched."
    ( ( Insert some form of GM response. Also, this sounds more like a bluff to me, but I was trying to angle it as diplomatic teasing I guess? I'm going to roll both, pick whichever one you like. ) )
    As Alec walked up to Mammon's cell and pressed his flexed arm against the iron bars Mammon reached through thwm, grabbed the large man and held on to him as though his freedom depended on it "Now!" he shouted to Flint.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy - (1d20+8) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollBluff - (1d20+4) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGrapple - (1d20+5) [8]
    ( ( DAAAANNNGGG Fail... Glad these rolls don't count!... Right? ) )
    Last edited by TheShieldWolf; 04-01-2016 at 02:59 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Flint reaches around the corner and flings the toxic dart that he had stolen From nyssa several days earlier, The dart finding its way into Alecs neck, allowing the sedative to work quickly through his body

    "I still think this is a bad idea, angel-face!" flint calls out finally free to speak his mind now that the guard has almost been neutralized

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollconcealment - (1d100) [99]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (d20+4) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (d4) [2]

    Flint strains to see around the corner, to see if he had hit, dispite the fact he had spent every night for the last week practicing that exact throw with his serving utensils.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482

    Default

    Alec throws back his head and laughs. "So sorry I am to disappoint you, my friend Mammon, but you cannot compare sapling to oak..." He sticks his arm through the bars. "You see?"

    When Mammon grabs his arm and calls "Now!" Alec is confused. "Now what? Now we see I am right. Let go. Your tiny fingers are pinching me."

    The he feels a sharp pain in his neck where Flint's sedative dart has struck home. Mammon still grips his arm and Alec grips him back. "I am injured, my friend." He drops his club and twists a little to try to reach it and pull it out, but he needs his dominant hand for that. "Enough fun! Let go Mammon, before one of us is hurt," he protests, his voice rising in panic.

    Briefly he struggles to free himself from the angelkin but he is too off balance. His limbs and eyelids grow too heavy to bear, and his vision narrows into a dark tunnel through which he feels himself fall. Alec pitches forward into the door of Mammon's cell and slides limply to the floor.

    The guard's keys to their cells and the door leading out is theirs for the taking, and Alec will not be sounding any alarms that might reach the floor (or floors?) above them.

    They are one step closer to freedom.


    Last edited by magrat4; 04-02-2016 at 12:35 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Flint responds to his call to action promptly with a well placed sedative in Alec's neck. Mammon is both slightly impressed with his aim and a little annoyed with his angel-faced remark. "Thank you for your assistance, Alec. Remember not to trust those behind bars in the future; You may find yourself in their position one day." Luckily, it did not take the sedative long to take affect and Mammon helped lower Alec slowly to the floor. He searched the unconscious man's pockets quickly and procured the keys. After unlocking his cell and pulling the large man in he said under his breathe "If Bello allows you a future, I will remember your kindness." Shutting the cell door behind him, he moved quickly to the next cell while dangling the keys in a triumphant manner, "If you had a better idea. You were not forth coming. And I chafe behind bars." Pleased with himself for getting this far, Mammon unlocked everyone's cell and the door leading out. "Well gentleman, this is about as far as I thought this through."
    Last edited by TheShieldWolf; 04-01-2016 at 10:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Thurok steps out of his cell, stretching his stiff, aching body. "Not wholly a man? Neither are you, cherub boy. Wouldn't want to be a humie anyway. They're small and weak and smelly."

    He begins stripping Alec of his uniform, donning each piece of clothing as he goes. He calls out to no one in particular: "You humies wear this stuff? It's so scratchy and tight. Not as freeing as bear skin." His hand brushes over something small and metallic in Alec's pocket, and he growls when he realises what it is. Stupid humies. His eyes catch the guard's club on the ground. Hrmph. Only a club. It'll have to do, I guess. He grips the club in his right hand, turning it over and testing its weight. "Normally I would lead, but this place is magical. The little humie shamans have done magicy stuff to it, I bet. I don't magic. Skie, maybe you should lead, you magic."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482

    Default

    The door Mammon opened to their cell block led to a short staircase, which rose up and ended in a wide chamber.

    Thurok's suspicions about the "humie magic" that had taken place there proved correct.

    Ten deep blue runes made of overlapping geometric shapes pulsed upon the floor. They were arranged in no apparent pattern but spaced so that in avoiding one you must draw near another. Similar runes decorated the only two doors on either side of the chamber. They were heavily reinforced with iron bars and sturdy locks just like the room to the cell block, and an exit could lie behind either of them.

    Straight ahead, across the floor strewn with runes, lay the familiar dead end corridor with four experiment rooms, two to each side. Each room contained only a table with restraining straps. The four of them had spent more times in those rooms than they cared to remember and they knew there was no help or exit to be found there.

    If Skie could not decipher the runes' intent and how best to disarm or avoid them, further progress would be hazardous and sure to alert any nearby guards who had been working with Alec.
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-01-2016 at 11:14 PM. Reason: finished description

  10. #10

    Default

    "Well Thurac, at least we "hummies" don't smell like we bath in a sewer drain" flint remarks, "help me get Alec into the cell, I don't want him waking up on us"

    after Flint is confident that Alec is secured in the cell, he enters the chamber with his other team members, kneeling down as he examines the ruins, pursing his lips as he attempts to think of a way across the heavily warded floor, How did Belo manage to walk across the floor here? Flint wouldn't admit it, but Thurac was right, Skie would need to lead here, flint didn't know enough about magic to be able to figure his way across

    "These runes are too close together, i don't think I can make my way to the other side without setting one or more of them off..... and even if I did get across, I cant get through the doors with those wards on them, and without my tools, I doubt I can brake the locks anyways.... What do you think Skie? can you think of a workaround? or at least tell us what these runes do?"
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 04-01-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •