Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC Chatter (Chapter 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    The main question is if it works with Tavern Brawler. Does it allow the following scenarios?

I have examined each of these scenarios, and it appears competitive to a vanilla greataxe without GWM, which is fine since it allows Tavern Brawler (assuming you approve that). Once I hit level 5, it falls behind a little because I only have 1 bonus action, so my damage caps out at 3d6 instead of 4d6, versus the 2d12 of greataxe. Because of that, Rend would be a welcome addition, at your discretion. Custom feats should be mediocre, not amazing, so I'm fine with this either way.

(If you don't allow Tavern Brawler, then it would be a much harder choice.)
    Hmm... I had forgotten about the action economy of two-weapon fighting - I only remembered the lack of a modifier bonus to the second damage roll. How about this alteration (getting rid of the bonus action attack) that still strongly encourages the unarmed flavor? The intent is for the feat to be compatible with other unarmed abilities, including Tavern Brawler.
    Gnoll Natural Weapons Master
    Your ferocity and prowess in combat when using the natural weapons of your race is a match for those wielding the mightiest of non-magical weapons.

(1) As an attack, you may make an unarmed strike with your claws. You are considered proficient with your claws. This attack deals 1d6 (+Strength mod) slashing damage. You must have a hand free to make this attack. If both hands are free and you are not using a shield, you may incorporate them both into the attack, and the damage becomes 2d6 (+Strength mod).

(2) As an attack, you may make a bite attack with which you are considered proficient. This bite deals 1d10 (+Strength mod) piercing damage.

(3) Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a either a bite attack or a claw attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    PCs: Karl, Samiel, Nyx, Malbocco, Voraxus, Dargyr, Theander (7)
    NPCs: Buppido, Derendil, Eldeth, Jimjar, Ront, Shuushar, Stool, Topsy, Turvy (9)

Sixteen, right?
    You're right. I was looking at the initiative list for your last combat, which did not include Ront, Shuushar, or Stool. There are currently 16 people in the party.
    Last edited by Rellott; 03-19-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Come join us on Discord!

I am willing to accept that version without the addition of Rend.

I will note that this new version is strictly stronger than what I originally proposed, however.

Feel free to ask if you care about my thoughts on balance (somewhat lengthy).

I definitely wanted to distinguish between your bite (no hands needed free) and your claw attacks, and I wanted to give you 1-handed and 2-handed claw options.

I also wanted to give incentive to go unarmed when having a sword-n-board or two-handed setup might typically be better.

It also needed to be competitive with an Ability Score Increase.

I also wanted it to be reasonable to other creatures with strong natural attacks. The quaggoth's claw is a d6. The gnoll's bites are a d4, except for the Fang of Yeenoghu (who has a d6 on a hit plus 2d6 poison on an additional CON save, and a d8 on its claw attacks).

If you (and the other players) think the damage is too high, we can scale it down to a d8 on the bite and a 1-handed claw and a d10 on a 2-handed claw, like you had originally proposed.

Come join us on Discord!

Sounds good to me ^_^

Default OOC Chatter (Chapter 2)

Over the summer (June, probably) I'm going to compile/catalog all the 3rd party character building material I've got that I like - races, classes, subclasses, feats, equipment, spells, etc.
    I'll make that list available to you all and share any details you're interested in that aren't available for free.

Come join us on Discord!

Bithawa is offline Do not recruit players with Red Reputation. Do not apply to games being run by GMs with Red Reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    You, not the whole group, can forage while still alert. You always find food for 10 people (5 from your background, x2 from your favored terrain), though the party currently has 13 people. You can move at a normal pace and be stealthy, but only while moving alone. The only benefit you grant the whole group is immunity from become lost except by magical means - and when you combine this with your background ability, you also are automatically making a mental map, so no one needs to waste their time with that (unless they're nervous about you abandoning them or dying).

So the group still needs to find a way to find additional food and water for 3 people (which will be more difficult since you're wiping the area clean already), and you still have to actually take the time to forage, so you need to go at a normal or slow pace to do this. This finding of food is also only a day's worth. If you want to find extra to stockpile and go fast for a while, you'll definitely have to take time to look for it.
    The wording I have: You can always find sufficient food and water for yourself and up to five other people in the Underdark, as long as sustenance is available in the area.

So would that make it 12 total?

It's obvious that I'll be at least one of the foragers. As far as traveling order, he'd probably hang out just behind the two leading forward unless they need his expertise. His lack of darkvision would probably keep him within range of the light.

Bithawa is offline Do not recruit players with Red Reputation. Do not apply to games being run by GMs with Red Reputation.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP - (1d10) [6]
    or 6

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    I definitely wanted to distinguish between your bite (no hands needed free) and your claw attacks, and I wanted to give you 1-handed and 2-handed claw options.

I also wanted to give incentive to go unarmed when having a sword-n-board or two-handed setup might typically be better.

It also needed to be competitive with an Ability Score Increase.

I also wanted it to be reasonable to other creatures with strong natural attacks. The quaggoth's claw is a d6. The gnoll's bites are a d4, except for the Fang of Yeenoghu (who has a d6 on a hit plus 2d6 poison on an additional CON save, and a d8 on its claw attacks).

If you (and the other players) think the damage is too high, we can scale it down to a d8 on the bite and a 1-handed claw and a d10 on a 2-handed claw, like you had originally proposed.
    My own thoughts on the new feat: The damage actually seems fine, but the moving aspect on a kill seems a bit much. GWM doesn't get to move after reducing a creature to 0 HP. If I was considering nerfs, I'd go for that first, then damage. Then again, I'm not the one going to use this feat... just my 2 cents, if you'll have it.

I don't care much about the Rampage. I just threw that in there because it was thematic (all Gnolls have it), and the feat didn't quite seem to stand alone. It can be changed.
    Last edited by Claw; 03-20-2016 at 03:47 AM.

Default OOC Chatter (Chapter 2)

Rampage also takes a bonus action, only allows one extra attack, and is only usable on a turn in which he kills an enemy. I think it's flavorful and situational enough he won't be using it every turn. If I was to nerf it, I would tie it to the natural attacks more, to where he has to kill something using his natural weapons.

Come join us on Discord!

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast