Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC Chatter (Chapter 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    Oooh, as it happens Dargyr has a flawed carnelian gemstone worth 10gp that could very well use being turned into a not-so-flawed carnelian gemstone worth 50gp. hehe
    We need 2 lodestones for Mending, but we do have a spell component pouch on Theander....

Dargyr's character sheet is updated. Added 13 hp, 1 Rage/long rest, Primal Path (Totem Warrior), Spirit Seeker, Totem Spirit (Bear). Removed the Poisoned condition.

His totem animal is, predictably, a hyena. Conveniently, he has a carved bone statue of one that he's been carrying around and has decorated with his own fur.
    Last edited by Claw; 03-19-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    Are you open to allowing a custom feat? I'm totally fine if you say no. Believe me, I understand not wanting to open that particular can of worms.

In case you'll consider it, I ask because I feel somewhat pigeonholed into using a greataxe with Great Weapon Master if I want to deal competitive damage. I don't want to have to choose between doing damage or doing fun things. Not to mention, every Barbarian and their brother uses greataxe. If possible, I would like to move more in the direction of using my natural weapons, but I don't feel like there are any existing feats that could make them even remotely competitive.

Keep in mind I'm not dead set on this. If I can't have this or something like it, I'll just take GWM + Sentinel and continue having a very fun game.
    I never could find anything comparable dealing with natural weapons. In general I think your feat works, but I'm thinking about tweaking it to make it a little more specific for gnolls and to eliminate rules issues with attacks and such. Here's my idea:

Gnoll Natural Weapons Master
    Your ferocity and prowess in combat when using the natural weapons of your race is a match for those wielding the mightiest of non-magical weapons.

(1) As an attack, you may make an unarmed strike with your claws. You are considered proficient with your claws. This attack deals 1d6 (+Strength mod) slashing damage. You must have a hand free to make this attack. If both hands are free and you are not using a shield, you may make two attacks [main hand and off-hand, using the typical rules for two-weapon fighting on PHB195].

(2) As an attack, you may make a bite attack with which you are considered proficient. This bite deals 1d8 (+Strength mod) piercing damage.

(3) Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a either a bite attack or an attack with one or both claws (if you have one or both hands free).
    This is more in line with the gnolls listed in the MM, though I swapped the damage die for claws and bite since you're so interested in your bite and since you can make two claw attacks as part of a single attack.

What do you think? If that feels underpowered, we might could add a feature like Rend, that lets you make a bite attack for free if you hit with both claw attacks.
    Last edited by Rellott; 03-19-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Come join us on Discord!

I've updated some things in the campaign log as a wrap-up/summary to Chapter 1. If there's anything you want to add, clarify, or change, please feel free to do so.

Come join us on Discord!

Bithawa is offline Do not recruit players with Red Reputation. Do not apply to games being run by GMs with Red Reputation.

I think we can move at full speed and forage, while still remaining alert to danger. If I remember the wording right for favored terrain. I will check tonight after I get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithawa View Post
    I think we can move at full speed and forage, while still remaining alert to danger. If I remember the wording right for favored terrain. I will check tonight after I get off work.
    Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel.
    Your group can't become lost except by magical means.
    Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
    If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
    When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
    While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
    You, not the whole group, can forage while still alert. You always find food for 10 people (5 from your background, x2 from your favored terrain), though the party currently has 13 people. You can move at a normal pace and be stealthy, but only while moving alone. The only benefit you grant the whole group is immunity from become lost except by magical means - and when you combine this with your background ability, you also are automatically making a mental map, so no one needs to waste their time with that (unless they're nervous about you abandoning them or dying).

So the group still needs to find a way to find additional food and water for 3 people (which will be more difficult since you're wiping the area clean already), and you still have to actually take the time to forage, so you need to go at a normal or slow pace to do this. This finding of food is also only a day's worth. If you want to find extra to stockpile and go fast for a while, you'll definitely have to take time to look for it.
    Last edited by Rellott; 03-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Come join us on Discord!

7. Default

Hey guys i cannot make a post before sunday evening. Sorry please DM take control of my Pc if needed

The main question is if it works with Tavern Brawler. Does it allow the following scenarios?

I have examined each of these scenarios, and it appears competitive to a vanilla greataxe without GWM, which is fine since it allows Tavern Brawler (assuming you approve that). Once I hit level 5, it falls behind a little because I only have 1 bonus action, so my damage caps out at 3d6 instead of 4d6, versus the 2d12 of greataxe. Because of that, Rend would be a welcome addition, at your discretion. Custom feats should be mediocre, not amazing, so I'm fine with this either way.

(If you don't allow Tavern Brawler, then it would be a much harder choice.)

Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    We need 2 lodestones for Mending, but we do have a spell component pouch on Theander....
    Just bully him a bit and I'm sure you can get the lodestones you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    though the party currently has 13 people.
    PCs: Karl, Samiel, Nyx, Malbocco, Voraxus, Dargyr, Theander (7)
    NPCs: Buppido, Derendil, Eldeth, Jimjar, Ront, Shuushar, Stool, Topsy, Turvy (9)

Sixteen, right?

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast