Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2: The Slithy Toves

Default Chapter 2: The Slithy Toves

You flee Velkynvelve, the drow outpost, into the darkness of the Underdark. The darkness. It is everything. It is everywhere. It is overwhelming. It is never ending. And, but for the chatter of your companions, the occasional drip of unseen water, and the rare sounds of subterranean who-knows-whats moving in the darkness, the overwhelming darkness is accompanied by unending, deafening silence. If Karl is still making use of Theander's Light spell, you feel like you're on a tiny island of light in a sea of endless dark.

You've been on the move through narrow tunnels and wide passages, across large open cathedrals and through winding stalagmite mazes, and the one constant is the endless dark. Oh sure, you can see - maybe even out to a whopping 60 feet in front of you of grey and dreary visibility only 20 feet past the end of Karl's light spell, beyond which is inky black. The occasional breaking of said darkness by a clinging phosphorescent fungi, or a crawling glowing creature, serves only as a mocking tease - for once past that glimpse of light, the darkness consumes, the darkness engulfs, again.

You follow the noses, or instincts, of your bizarre subterranean guides. Jimjar the wily gambling svirfneblin rogue, Shuushar the Awakened kuo-toa, Stool the silent and telepathic walking fungi, and Buppido the wary but talkative derro discuss direction in their own way at each possible fork, each notable crevasse up or down - generally unified in the goal to reach Blingdenstone and the svirfneblin that inhabit it - but not always unified in which direction to head.

"Five silver says that big echo chamber's a dead end at best - a beast's home at worse." - goes the banter from Jimjar.

"I'll take that bet - if you scout it," Buppido retorts.

"We are all-ll-llready home, if we accept our d-d-estiny," Shuushar burbles.

And after minutes that seem like hours comes the voice walking back toward you from the black.

"That's five you owe me, Buppido - and I will collect. Now, we scramble up these rocks to that narrow opening up there and head on."

At other times, the guides' best directions still lead the wrong way - a turn leads to a tunnel collapse, or to a 100 yard belly crawl between sheets of rock that dead ends, and you're forced to double back. Surfacers might find it disconcerting, but the natives seem used to such setbacks. Traveling the massive endless dark hollows of the world is no science, but your guides seem confident that heading generally north and west will eventually get you to your destination. With no sun, no stars, no moons, and no compass, how they know which direction is north you've no idea.

"Oh, how I do long for the stars to peep through the canopy of trees above Nelrindenvane," Derendil sighs in Elvish.
    Topsy and Turvy look skittishly at Buppido and generally avoid him while you pass some time contemplating the places you've heard of in the long lost world of blue skies, golden trees, and glowing suns. Nelrindenvane is not one of those places - at least not in any of your memories.

So, as you get to know your new companions onward you press, the darkness cloying, the silence oppressing, the hunger and thirst growing, and during the quiet the mind wandering to paranoid thoughts of spiders, brutish quaggoths and wicked slaver drow. Would they give up their quarry so easily?

OOC: Feel free to RP a bit while you are currently in relative safety. Make sure to weigh in on marching order and scavenging for food in the OOC thread.

Come join us on Discord!

Malbocco, stretches his arms pauses and does a few squats to stretch his thighs, feels much better after their jog out of the Drow encampment. The dark is all encompassing, but not too bad for him. He stares back into the darkness behind them and contemplates the advantages his would be attackers have. How cruel this place is that a single light of salvation could bring such damnation.
    He continues on, bringing up the rear.
    Abaraxas - Hoard of the Dragon Queen ((ended))
    Quess - End of the World
    Malbocco - Out of the Abyss
    Snapdragon - Curse of Strahd
    Rauw, Krogan Berserker - Mass Effect
    Sheriff Rorimac Hollow - Darkening of Mirkwood ((Completed!!!))

From time to time as they travel, Dargyr can be seen pulling out a carved bone statue and looking at it thoughtfully. If anyone comments on it, he says, unusually passive, "Strong animal. From surface world. Some say Gnoll ancestor. Before great demon..."

At one point during their travels, he unexpectedly turns and addresses everyone. "In Drow prison, I say: we escape, you all Packmates to me. Is true. Clan now. Same blood! We fight, brother, sister, side by side." He bares his teeth and raises a clenched fist. "All others, fall before us! We, mighty Clan. Kill, take what we want. Food. Weapons. Gold. Slaves. None can stop. We strong. Can fight even Drow. Enemies will fear!" At this point he pauses, seeming to expect a response.
    Last edited by Claw; 03-19-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Malbocco notices that the spider who joined him in the prison cell is still with him, clutching desperately to his clothing to keep from flying off or getting scraped off through the rapid flight through the Underdark. When there are calmer moments, it ascends to sit on his shoulder or on top of his head, if he'll let it. Strangely, it stares at Voraxus a lot, and seems to get agitated any time he gets close.

Come join us on Discord!

Despite the rebuke from Nyx and any others, he still maintained the light-rock for those that couldn't see, although he did advise them that they might be cautious with it besides.

When they had left the sound of the flying monsters behind them, Theander had dug through his pack and pulled out a small journal. He scowled at the soaked pages, but it was the best he had. He tried not to think about the Spellbook he would have to try and dry tonight. After he finally got the pages to dry he began to track their location, the under-dwellers might know this place and be able to remember it well, but that was no security for him. So as they walked he kept a crude map with notes, one that could give him the barebones of backtracking if he needed to, 'Not to mention,' he thought, 'Its possible this could be of value to the Library... I don't recall any maps of the Underdark while I was there...' While working on this he seemed a touch more at peace, but scowled at any who disturbed his work.

When Dargyr started spouting some nonsense about packmates Theander scowled at him, his irritation at being disturbed overriding his fear of the gnoll, "Yes, great, I'll file that away under the less important aspects of our escape. But how about instead of going on about killing things, we get ourselves a way out of the underdark?" He shook his head and looked down to his map, grumbling slightly as he marked a rock formation and made a note about the empty echo-cave that had been explored.
    Last edited by Zeros; 03-19-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Default Chapter 2: The Slithy Toves

"That's not the way I'm going to do things any more." Malbocco grips his fist in his hand "I've led that kind of life for as long as I can remember and look where it's got me. I'm sure you've seen it too, the endless cycle of murder and death. Our enemies will fear us, that's true, but our allies will respect us. I will not stand for a reign of fear and terror." He crosses his arms and stares away from Dargyr into the darkness, letting his eyes settle near Voraxus.
    Abaraxas - Hoard of the Dragon Queen ((ended))
    Quess - End of the World
    Malbocco - Out of the Abyss
    Snapdragon - Curse of Strahd
    Rauw, Krogan Berserker - Mass Effect
    Sheriff Rorimac Hollow - Darkening of Mirkwood ((Completed!!!))

Bithawa is offline Do not recruit players with Red Reputation. Do not apply to games being run by GMs with Red Reputation.

Voraxus narrows his eyes to slits at Dargyr's ranting but he remains quiet on the subject. He has his arms crossed and is leaning back against the tunnel wall, enjoying the cool stone against his scales. "We need to ssshare information,"he says in a whisper, not liking how far their voices travel in the silence. "Who can't see in the dark, other than myself?"

"And I for one, don't care. We're not going to cause too much trouble, but if we need to, we'll raise hell to survive. It's kill or be killed when it comes down to it," Nyx pipes in with a rather calm voice. Out of all the people here, she may be the only one who qualifies as having something resembling a "good mood" about the situation. Considering the good fortune of her recovering her previously lost artifact, Nyx has been grumbling less about her companions and slightly more helpful than usual. She even managed to pick up a few more magic tricks along the way, likely thanks to the fact that she has finally reunited with her family's inheritance. Of course, she still didn't really trust any of them, and she sure as hell wasn't going to let any of them near her precious memento.

Nyx had already made it a point that she would sleep slightly away from the group when it was time for her to rest, tightly gripping her pack in her arms to keep away any thieves. Sure, if someone did steal it, they likely wouldn't get very far, but she wasn't going to chance losing her orb again, and especially not for a stupid reason like trusting the people around her too much.

Dargyr looks confused, as if he expected a much different response. In his old Pack, such a declaration would have been met with loud cheers and bloodthirsty shouts of approval. Grunting, he seems to not quite know what to do.

Last edited by Claw; 03-20-2016 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    "[...] but if we need to, we'll raise hell to survive. It's kill or be killed when it comes down to it," Nyx pipes in with a rather calm voice.
    Dargyr responds to Nyx's comment, albeit in a more subdued voice than before, "Yes, kill. Be killed. Underdark. Everything, kill, be killed here."

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast